English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 June 2015, 19:34   #21
zerohour1974

@jPV

Yep it's a 7,3 machine not 7,5 my bad

I actually now have the G5 working. I think the issue was I had the main partition as FFS. So I blitzed the system. This time split the partition in two and formatted them as SFS. It seems to have got rid of most of my issues.

E-UAE and Poly Organiser are now working.

I managed to get the Wireless working, by setting the DNS servers to OpenDNS. However it refuses to work after about 30 seconds. Even though the card is connected the transfer of data seems to freeze and no longer work.

Will have to try Ethernet.

Sound seems to be more stable too. I think my system was just playing silly buggers
Old 10 July 2015, 17:34   #22
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
WPA2 should work just fine. In fact it's harder to configure the system lower security encryptions like WEP (you need to edit configuration files manually for it). Only the best encryptions are supported from the GUI.
Meaning what exactly? Personally I use WPA2 and AES-CCMP, and 802.1x authentication with PEAPv0 (EAP-MSCHAPv2) or EAP-TLS with client certificates. I have yet to get an answer on whether the wpa_supplicant in MorphOS is built with support for WPA2 Enterprise or not. I admit I have not upgraded since MorphOS 3.2 or thereabouts on one of my minis.
Old 11 July 2015, 11:04   #23
edd_jedi

Unless you're into Amiga only PPC compatible productivity software, there's really no point. It uses UAE to run 68k software and games, so it's no different from running an emulator on a modern Mac or PC!
Old 11 July 2015, 11:40   #24
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
Unless you're into Amiga only PPC compatible productivity software, there's really no point. It uses UAE to run 68k software and games, so it's no different from running an emulator on a modern Mac or PC!
No, UAE is only needed with hardware hitting programs (mostly games and demos). It is VERY different to Mac or "PC".

MorphOS has OS3.x compatible API and build-in 68k emulator (only CPU is emulated). When you run 68k software they use MorphOS native API, libraries, devices etc. 68k programs use directly MorphOS graphics drivers etc and you can even use 68k shell commands and system components like libraries, datatypes, device drivers, filesystems, and all kinds of other binaries as they are in MorphOS. No separate emulator is needed and you don't notice any difference between 68k and native software. 68k software doesn't run in any kind of sandbox, they share everything with native programs. You can use ARexx ports and everything between them (unlike if you'd run software in UAE).

It's the whole point of MorphOS that it's Amiga compatible system... but seems that some just imagine something else always... and spread that "knowledge" :/

MorphOS also contains updated Amiga software, which you can't even run in UAE. For example newer or native versions of CGX, MUI, Turboprint, AHI, Poseidon, and many other system components and utilities. If you want to see how they've progressed, you can see it with MorphOS. Whole MorphOS is based on the familiar software from 68k Amiga times and their legacy. You just can't say "it's no different to running UAE" ...

Last edited by jPV; 11 July 2015 at 12:06.
Old 11 July 2015, 13:11   #25
edd_jedi

Sorry, how exactly is it "Amiga compatible" if it requires an emulator (UAE or other) to run AMIGA games? Sounds like you guys are trying to convince yourselves it's not a complete waste of time, apart from as I mentioned the fraction of people that use the small pool of software that will run natively on it.
Old 11 July 2015, 13:21   #26
tolkien
AmigaMan

You can run 68k apps/games if they are coded in a system friendly way.
I'm very happy with my powerbook g4 and MorphOS 3.9.
Old 11 July 2015, 18:09   #27
jPV

Quote:
Sorry, how exactly is it "Amiga compatible" if it requires an emulator (UAE or other) to run AMIGA games? Sounds like you guys are trying to convince yourselves it's not a complete waste of time, apart from as I mentioned the fraction of people that use the small pool of software that will run natively on it.
I already told you, but you don't want to understand. Amiga was much more than just the OCS/AGA games (and some of them do work too. And how games compatibility would be the correct measurement, heck, even A600 or later models don't run many A500 games, not to talk with different addons...). Amiga apps scene was huge and it wasn't only a fraction of people who did use their Amigas to other than gaming. Later you went with Amiga more it came about productivity instead of games, but if you jumped off after floppy based A500 setups feel free to live in your imaginary world, but don't come to tell us how we should live. And please stop speading false facts of the thing you aren't familiar with.

Last edited by jPV; 11 July 2015 at 18:49.
Old 12 July 2015, 06:52   #28
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Compability with most PD games is pretty poor too: I tried out a couple of dozen and only a few worked properly.
Old 12 July 2015, 18:00   #29
edd_jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
free to live in your imaginary world, but don't come to tell us how we should live. And please stop speading false facts of the thing you aren't familiar with.
OK again please tell me how either of these statements aren't true:

1) Most Amiga users were gamers. Not all, as I said, but most.
2) Most games will not run on MorphOS without SOME KIND of emulation. Again most, not all.

I'm not spreading false rumours, you just seem to casually sweep aside 99% of Amiga users and programs in your claims.
Old 12 July 2015, 18:08   #30
edd_jedi

And as you don't seem to have even read any of the posts so far, here's the OPs question and first response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour1974 View Post
What is the compatability like for MorphOS...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I've found the compatibility is pretty good for system-friendly stuff, but for most older games you need an emulator instead. So I guess it depends on what you want from it.
Imaginary world you say? I'm not telling you how to live your life, I'm answering the OPs question.
Old 12 July 2015, 20:21   #31
jPV

This is your first comment which made me to respond:

Quote:
1) Although MorphOS runs Amiga PPC compatible software including WarpOS and PowerUP binaries, and even OS4 binaries in some degree, it also runs 68k software. And the 68k software compatibility is what people are mostly interested when they use MorphOS, because the amount of it available. Without backwards compatibility with 68k there wouldn't have be any MorphOS users at the first place. So the claim "Unless you're into Amiga only PPC compatible productivity software" is wrong.

2) You said "It uses UAE to run 68k software and games" is wrong too. 68k software can be run without UAE. I admitted that only small amount of 68k games do work without UAE, but for other binaries it's quite the opposite. I don't know why you started to talk only about games later even when you made difference between "software and games" originally. And if you run MorphOS on the real Amiga, then even those games do work better too. It's only if you run MorphOS on the hardware without the Amiga's original chipsets, then hardware hitting non system friendly games don't work without UAE.

3) It's very far away from running UAE on some non AmigaOS API compatible OS, as I've been trying to explain. "It's no different" it's very harsh and misleading wording for the AmigaOS API and binary compatible OS which is fully based to AmigaOS structure on its own too.

I just wanted to correct these claims so that other people wouldn't take it literally when it's not quite correctly said.

Quote:
And as you don't seem to have even read any of the posts so far, here's the OPs question and first response:
He's got few proper answers, I can't see he'd specified the question to games compatibility only.

Last edited by jPV; 13 July 2015 at 07:04.
Old 30 December 2016, 18:49   #32
dr.zeissler

Is there a list, what 68 software runs natively on morphos?
Which Demos/Games/Progs do not need UAE on morphos?

I am planing to buy it (79 Euros) and using it on my G4-Mini 1,42Ghz R9200/32MB.
Old 20 July 2019, 16:21   #33
Honey Badger

Yeah, I know this is a rather old thread ... but, just ran across it.

A few years ago, I purchased MorphOS for my old Mac Mini G4 (1.5 Ghz, 512 MB) that had effectively been collecting dust. The cost isn't all that much (comparable to a dinner out with the Mrs) - and just the novelty of bringing the old machine back to life into an Amiga(ish) existence is cool by me!
Old 20 July 2019, 16:55   #34
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Answer for me is: yes. I am not really a gamer, I have to say. I do development on it.
Old 21 July 2019, 00:05   #35
keito

To be succinct: Hell Yes!
Old 21 July 2019, 20:17   #36
knightbeat

I bought a Mac Mini G4 with the specific goal of purchasing & installing MorphOS and have never regretted it. I've wanted an 'AmigaNG' machine for many years, but could never justify the high hardware costs just to run OS4 or MorphOS. The Mac Mini is great because it is a space-efficient, low-cost (admittedly second-hand) and tried-and-tested machine.

My only complaint about MorphOS is that the community remains quite small - relatively little software development takes place nowadays & most people seem to obsess over legal developments rather than practical use.
Old 21 July 2019, 20:43   #37
Zabi

I'ts really worth it.

I have used AmigaOS when 4.1 FE came out, machine was A4000/CSPPC. MorphOS is much more solid WB implementation than AOS. I have used MorphOS on Mac mini G4/9200/32.

Of course G4 have much more horsepower than CSPPC.

MorphOS is much more smooth user experience. And very much Amiga like!