English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 September 2009, 13:56   #1
marcolau

Winuae & real hard disk problem

Hello guys.

I have 2 hard disk i connected to the pc via usb

Here's what i did

Started winuae (with safety off ) set the boot drive ( a folder) containing os 3.9 and the real hard disk set as ide0.

Opened hd tool box made 1 partition (2gb) , 2 partition (2gb) 3th partition (4gb) 4th partition ( 10 gb) 5th partition (19) gb

Then changed the setting of the real hd from ide0 to winuae ( or it would not boot )

Restarted all , formatted all the partition and copied the content of boot forlder on the first partition.

All ok it boots perfectly and absolutely no issue.

Now i have a second hd alway 40 gb and i wanted to do the same .

I made the partitions ( idendical ones as above ) and they r created ok

The problem is when i go to format them

It keeps on saying not a valid DOS disk

Any idea why ?

If it worked like a charm with the previous hd i just cant understad why it doesnt work with this on since all the settings were idetical.
Old 25 September 2009, 14:30   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolau View Post
Then changed the setting of the real hd from ide0 to winuae ( or it would not boot )
This seems to point something being wrong.. Attach or email winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt using IDE0 setup and uae setup, thanks. (1xbootlog, 2xwinuaelog.txt, enable checkbox in misc panel)
Old 25 September 2009, 14:52   #3
marcolau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
This seems to point something being wrong.. Attach or email winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt using IDE0 setup and uae setup, thanks. (1xbootlog, 2xwinuaelog.txt, enable checkbox in misc panel)

Ok i will asap i get home i m at work now , but i dont think so cos this step goes well for both hard disks

I think if i set it to ide0 wont start cos the main hard disk is a folder

and of course winue tries to start from the ide0

and btw souldnt matter too much once the partition is alredy created i guess ?
Old 25 September 2009, 16:19   #4
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I dont know if its related (and im sure ill get a telling off) but I noticed an oddity the other day when I tried to setup a second hardfile and connected to ide1. I dont think I need to install idefix for this config.

The hardfile doesnt mount properly. File is a 4gb hardfile and is partitionable in hdtoolbox, but doesnt appear to amigaos to format. Mounter (OS39 prog) sees the drive but says its 7g instead of 4. no error is thrown up as it tries to mount. Just seems odd, as under uae device it works (appears to aos and formats).

No issues with my boot hardfile on ide0.
Old 25 September 2009, 17:25   #5
thomas

Quote:
I noticed an oddity the other day when I tried to setup a second hardfile and connected to ide1.[...]

The hardfile doesnt mount properly. File is a 4gb hardfile and is partitionable in hdtoolbox, but doesnt appear to amigaos to format.
Select IDE0 in HDToolbox. It will tell you that "harddrives have been added or removed". Let it save the changes.
Old 25 September 2009, 17:44   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Yeah I done all that. In hd toolbox everything looks ok. Mounter shows it exists, but seems to get the number wrong, and to amigaos it doesnt appear to workbench even as bad volume. Maybe im pushing my luck with one huge 4gb partition with latest ffs and scsi.dev. All fine using uae device for this particular hardfile though.