English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 October 2011, 23:14   #21
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
You kinda involuntarily proved that point with citing X-Copy as a head turner rather then Settlers.
I didn't really challenge the easy copy aspect, only the sore thumb thing.
(And most kids that had an Amiga had consoles, too.)

Btw. I wouldn't call the McD burger franchise the most popular restaurant either, although technically it probably is.
Old 28 October 2011, 00:34   #22
roy bates

when i was at school it was c64 bbc-b and spectrums.
no consoles there im affraid.
Old 28 October 2011, 01:53   #23
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Not really. Almost everyone knows of Super Mario, Alex KiDD, and so on. I'm not going to argue that consoles had better games, but the kid who had a Amiga stood out like a sore thumb, it was more expensive, and few parents bought it for the kids. The kid who got one had five games for about as long as it took him to find someone else on the school-grounds who also had a Amiga, and then he had at least ten. most likely someone on the schoolyard had some access to copies, and then the pool of games exploded. So the games the kid was playing when the parrot, sorry, parent checked in on him was ever changing, and so his memories of the gaming experience isn't focused on the particular game, but rather the flexibility and availability of multiple games.
Compare this with the kid who had a NES. He had 5 games to. If he was lucky he could loan a game every now and then, but on average those five, was all he had. He played them over and over, and the gaming experience was about that one game that he just couldn't stop playing. He, his friends, and relatives all remember that stupid Super Mario...

Me? I had a C64. Ricochet and Zolyx were the most used original games i had. A bunch of "turbo tapes" saw infrequent use, but i seam to remember going back to those two over and over. First long after everyone else grew tired of the Amiga i got a secondhand A1200. Luckily that was a good time, as older brothers were giving their Amigas to younger brothers, or even threw them away. Ended up with a somewhat good collection of parts and toys. But talking to people, hardly anyone agree on the most popular game for them. It ranges from K-240, to Moonstone, Syndicate, and Theme park. Hardly anyone remembers The secret of monkey island, and if they say Leisure Suit Larry, they snicker, or chuckle after...

The best game is a title hard to give any game, much less then the "best game platform". But when it comes to popularity, at least here in Sweden, the Amiga doesn't stand a chance.
B!
I see what you mean, and I do agree for the most part. It definitely wasn't the most mainstream gaming platform, but there were A LOT of games for the Amiga that, at least NOW, are considered to be real classics (maybe not appreciated at the time). And like I said earlier, it definitely beat any other computer of that time in my opinion when it came to games. sure, there was the Atari st and other systems that many games that came out for the Amiga were also released for, but I like to think that for the most part they were better on the Amiga when it comes to graphics and sound.
Anyway, you bring up a great point!
Old 28 October 2011, 02:14   #24
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
It was the opposite here in Germany. The NES/Master System had no chance against the C64/Amiga. Well, the SNES was released 1992 in Europe. It doesn't really competed with the Amiga. The PC and later the PSX were the commercial death.
That's true. In Germany computers ,especially the Amiga (at least in my family and group of friends), we're more popular. Infact it wasn't until I moved to the U.S. when I was 10 years old that I got my first console (an SNES 6 years after it came out! ). I'm sure what platform was more popular was different country to country. As far as I know (not 100% sure though) the Amiga wasn't quite as popular in the U.S., although I can't base this off of being around at the time since I grew up in Germany. Every time I mention Amiga here, VERY few people know what I'm talking about.
Old 28 October 2011, 02:28   #25
Castelian

A little over-sensitive aren't we? For 95% of the US, gamers have never even used an Amiga. So if you live in a place where only 5% of gamers use a particular system that is ubiquitous in other parts of the world, you'd probably say the same. For instance, if I said "Thexder was created on the PC-8801 of all systems", it seems appropriate to me, but not to an 80s Japanese gamer. I don't think they meant to discredit or ridicule the amiga, now that would be insane.
Old 28 October 2011, 09:38   #26
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
The SNES was more powerful than the NeoGeo.

NeoGeo had a 12MHZ 68000 processor. SNES had a 30MHZ Nintendo-built processor.

The SNES altogether also had 256kb of RAM, the NeoGeo had 140kb.
Sorry, but when i read this i just have to comment on it.

The Neo-Geo was MILES more powerfull than the SNES. It was a "real" arcade machine disguised as console !

I have a Neo Geo, and some cardridges use 330Mbit of data or even more, when the highest for the SNES were 32Mbits.

The games were much more colorfull , with bigger sprites than on the SNES. The sound was also much better.

Well, just compare same games that exists on Neo-Geo and on SNES on Youtube, you will fast realize it.

Last edited by Lord Riton; 28 October 2011 at 09:58.
Old 28 October 2011, 11:15   #27
khph_re

Quote:
Edit
Uh, both were released 1992. The Amiga 1200 came out that year, the SNES came out 1990. How do you figure it wasn't competition? If it wasn't for the SNES, the Amiga might actually made bigger sales, and commodore would perhaps not have gone bust.
/Edit
SNES for US/JPN was 1990, '92 everywhere else. Commodore had their own niche carved out, they fucked it up all on their own. If the 1200 and 600 had been what they should have been, and if Mehdi Ali hadn't snorted most of commodores finances up his nose, rather than spending it on R&D...

The SNES was cool, but not that much better than the A500 for games, we were all expecting AGA to blow it away..after all, it had been 7 years since OCS.

As for the SNES power, it was 21mhz running on an 8 bit bus. Derived from a MOS (re: commodore) design. Had a nice DSP in there though.

It's funny watching consoles gain more computer functions, and PC's getting smaller, gaining TV out and with win8 -a more TV friendly interface.
That was the Amiga's main niche right there.
Old 28 October 2011, 16:37   #28
atchoo
SWOS enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
The sound was also much better.
Uhm, not so much in my opinion. SNES isn't a Genesis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
Well, just compare same games that exists on Neo-Geo and on SNES on Youtube, you will fast realize it.
Well, they are conversions from NeoGeo to SNES... From 330Mb to 16Mb (I don't remember 32Mb NeoGeo conversions)!

NeoGeo was a great console, but much peculiar...
Old 28 October 2011, 18:48   #29
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
As for the SNES power, it was 21mhz running on an 8 bit bus.
Not that familiar with the SNES..
Wikipedia says:
Processor Ricoh 5A22, based on a 16-bit 65c816 core
Clock rates (NTSC) Input: 21.47727 MHz
Bus: 3.58 MHz, 2.68 MHz, or 1.79 MHz
Clock rates (PAL) Input: 21.28137 MHz
Bus: 3.55 MHz, 2.66 MHz, or 1.77 MHz
..which is a bit confusing.. ;-) (to me at least)
How fast did the CPU run??
I would imagine, that system might have been a bear to program, at least to get the best speed...

Of course, this is pretty far off topic, so .. you can ignore me, as usual. ;-)

desiv
Old 28 October 2011, 19:20   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Bus clock rate is important, not the input value.
Old 28 October 2011, 21:46   #31
Djay
95th User

further more...

they dont even know what year it is

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 October 2011, 21:55   #32
s2325
Zone Friend

but what a bushy brow he has
Old 28 October 2011, 22:34   #33
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
further more...

they dont even know what year it is

[ Show youtube player ]

i agree,also what was he expecting the manual to be like???what a retard.

"and this is the map it has a cloth like texture but its not cloth"is it ???really???

i was half expecting the"this is the disc "comment"this goes in the drive! hmm yes thats right it does mate.

this why i never take any notice of these guys whatsoever there knowledge and acurracy are second to none.
Old 30 October 2011, 06:58   #34
CritAnime

Going back to the original post lol.

I stopped reading IGN ages ago. I am sure they just imagine most of their "facts" rather than do any real research. Their video reviews are appauling and I often wonder what actual critique they are offering.

I would just take it as IGN trying a little sarcasm in their posts and failing.
Old 30 October 2011, 19:20   #35
Mick

Just flame the Justin Davis fellow who wrote the article, he clearly knows nothing about gaming back in the day. The PC couldn't touch Amiga until the mid to late 90's after Windows 95 came along from what I remember.

I remember the first time I saw Red Alert on the PC at a friends house, a little part of me died knowing that PC would be the future.
Old 30 October 2011, 21:59   #36
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I remember the first time I saw Red Alert on the PC at a friends house, a little part of me died knowing that PC would be the future.
I think most of us felt your pain.
Old 31 October 2011, 06:47   #37
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Which emulator is that if you dont mind me asking? Sounded like you was speaking in current tense, so I can only assume youre talking about amiarcadia ? (only currently developed amiga emu so far as I know besides more or less straight recompiles of existing emus).
Yes, that's the one...
Old 31 October 2011, 18:54   #38
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesize Me View Post
I think most of us felt your pain.
Doom for me, it was awesome... Both 1 Story mode and 2 player vs over a network...

Then the psx came out... That changed everything (well at least for me)

Last edited by Djay; 01 November 2011 at 16:15.
Old 01 November 2011, 08:23   #39
CritAnime

I think Doom made a lot of people switch over to the lure of PC gaming.
Old 08 November 2011, 20:26   #40
Vectra
Old Skool

I was tempted by Doom but managed to hold out for AmiDoom which ran well on the modified A1200 I had at the time.

Quake didn't do so well however.

As for IGN I still read a few articles on their site out of interest but you really have to take some things with a grain of salt.