English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 May 2020, 10:08   #1
AMIGASYSTEM

JFIFdt44 Released

Author: Henryk Richter

JFIF Picture Datatype: This release of JFIFdt incorporates improvements to the datatype dispatch code alongside with an updated JPEG library. Assembly level optimization has been done in order to improve runtime performance considerably. Due to the optimizations, this is the fastest JPEG datatype for 68k Amigas.

JFIFdt44 v44.12: Download

Changes in this release:
- about 10% faster than 44.11
- reduced calling overhead to picture.datatype
- reduced calling overhead to the internal libjpeg-turbo by some enhancements to the color conversion control loop
- revised YCC to RGB conversion with more compact and faster code
- new option "FANCYRESAMPLE" which offers the higher quality chroma interpolation feature from libjpeg to interested users (slow)
- improved JPEG file detection code, so make sure to copy "JFIF" to DEVS:?atatypes as well when you upgrade

Feature overview:
- supports normal and progressive JFIFs with all its flavours
- supports HAM output (HAM6 as well as HAM8)
- switches to V43 mode if a picture.datatype V43 or newer is found
- asynchronous file I/O to speedup image loading and decoding
- utilizes WritePixelLine8 for chunky-to-planar in V42 mode
- automatic colour quantizing of true-colour data for V42
- can be configured to suit personal preferences
- OS 3.5+ support (minimum OS3.0)
- FBlit support
- based on libjpeg-turbo
- ASM optimizations to Huffman decoding, iDCT and color transform (68020+)
- AMMX optimization for Apollo Core Gold 2.7 and later
- FPU and AMMX availability is checked before use at runtime
- support for XMP JFIF files

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 July 2022 at 18:51.
Old 05 May 2020, 17:10   #2
PeterK

AMIGASYSTEM, please always mention explicitly the author of a program that you want to introduce in the news section, even if it could be found in the Aminet readme file, hidden behind your download link. I think that would be a sign of respect.
Old 05 May 2020, 17:51   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes, I'm just going to make the next time even if as you said the author is written on Aminet and in the various readme forged with the software package.

I'm not a developer and I don't think everyone understood it, and I don't think I've disrespected it, I think the author is happy with my reviews, otherwise I may not do the news anymore.
Old 05 May 2020, 18:29   #4
PeterK

No, I don't assume that you have no respect for the authors, and your reviews or software introductions are probably welcome by most of them and the users, too.

It's also not important for me to mention who is guilty for my own crap. That really doesn't matter.

But I think a note like "written by ... " is not only missing, but would also be interesting to know about for new programs or for newbies. For example, why not saying that EvenMore is from Chris Perver (alias Cylon) or JFIFdt44 was written by Gunther Nikl and Henryk Richter?
Old 05 May 2020, 18:41   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes, next time I will, just to show my innocence.
Old 05 May 2020, 19:18   #6
DamienD
Banned

I agree with PeterK Carlo.

How many times in these News threads that you post, people actually think you are the author; when really you're just reporting the news.

Also, you already go to such lengths to post information / images. Adding an "Author / s" line is only a little extra step
Old 05 May 2020, 20:07   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes just no problem in the future I will do so (update news), Peter my great friend
Old 06 May 2020, 00:08   #8
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

As someone who has been temporarily confused by this in the past, thank you for going forward with listing the software authors in the future.
Old 06 May 2020, 06:21   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

It does not cost anything to add author, slowly I'm adding the author also to previous news
Old 06 May 2020, 15:24   #10
thomas

You should also take more care on the thread title. Currently it indicates there was a great release of a brand new product. This is not true, JFIFdt exists for years. This is only a small update, only the revsion number changed by one step.

"Gunther Nikl and Henryk Richter released an update of their JFIFdt" would be a proper head line.

And the information what this thread is all about should be above the screenshot. Currently it looks like an advertising, not like a news item. And a bad one because the screenshot is completely unrelated to the product.
Old 06 May 2020, 15:40   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

Hi Thomas I would say that the screeshot is related because without the help of datatype it is not possible to view thumbnail images in the GUI shown.

The News only indicates the new version, in the news has reported what was written on Aminet by the developer.

I do the news for fun, if that's a problem I can stop doing the news.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 May 2020 at 18:06.
Old 06 May 2020, 21:30   #12
Ami

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
And the information what this thread is all about should be above the screenshot. Currently it looks like an advertising, not like a news item. And a bad one because the screenshot is completely unrelated to the product.
Oh come on!

@AMIGASYSTEM

Thank you for your work, keep on coming!
Old 06 May 2020, 22:04   #13
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Hi Thomas I would say that the screeshot is related because without the help of datatype it is not possible to view thumbnail images in the GUI shown.

The News only indicates the new version, in the news has reported what was written on Aminet by the developer.

I do the news for fun, if that's a problem I can stop doing the news.

You're missing Thomas's point. The screen shot doesn't have anything to do with JFIFdt. It's merely showing a requester with filenames, and extensions. It's more of an Ad/News for the Requester than the DT. If you want to show the DataType then show images With corresponding info about the DataType reflected towards JFIFdt..in this case.

No one is actually suggesting you to Stop offering news. You're getting constructive comments (not criticism) of how to help a wider range of users. When advertising is done it's often created with the mainstream audience in mind (simple minds)..with some hints for the more already aware (educated, not so simple anymore). As Thomas pointed to, this is Not a New DataType but when users read your comments complementing it as such a Wonderful Thing..to someone new to it..it could seem "new". Do you follow?

I used to create DOM (Disk Of the Month) for an Amiga user group in the 90's and more. I also did stuff for a Cable Company, in those you learn or grasp quickly how to advertise for particular audience. Amiga has basic users and very advanced. There are many ways to Show the info and give respect to a programmer, coder, or..Artist without becoming too involved when you're doing it for fun. No one is suggesting or demanding you stop. Only offering advice.

If you remove the offended you seem to be having in your mind, you'll notice the Help. That's what I see.

Look at the screen shot again. In what way does it really show HOW the DataType is being Used? Ignore, look past All 3rd party software and only focus on the DT's abilities. Consider better how to reflect that...in a screenshot while also offering respect in text. Do that for every "news" item and you'll improve a lot of what's already helpful.
Old 06 May 2020, 23:42   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
You're missing Thomas's point. The screen shot doesn't have anything to do with JFIFdt.
Without "JFIFdt." you'll never get that requst and you'll never see those preview images, "JFIFdt." among other things is what shows them best and fastest.

You probably haven't read what I wrote, the written text is not mine but a copy-paste from Aminet so words not mine.

With regard to the image, a graphic presentation in some cases lingers the user curious, perhaps without the graphics would ignore the news. Today we are all in a hurry and we miss many things and many times we linger only when something makes us curious. What you are saying in my opinion is exaggerated.

From this moment I won't do any more news.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 07 May 2020 at 02:04.
Old 07 May 2020, 10:02   #15
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Without "JFIFdt." you'll never get that requst and you'll never see those preview images, "JFIFdt." among other things is what shows them best and fastest.

How do I convey this..? We have a language barrier. That is exactly what My message and Thomas were typing about. Your image does not convey that...to the basic user.

Quote:
You probably haven't read what I wrote, the written text is not mine but a copy-paste from Aminet so words not mine.

Pllllleaassseee...don't assume I missed that.

Quote:
With regard to the image, a graphic presentation in some cases cause the user to curious (notice my editing), perhaps without the graphics would ignore the news (indeed, perhaps). Today we are all in a hurry (It's not a good idea to Assume ALL of us are..I'm Not) and we miss many things and many times we linger only when something makes us curious. What you are saying in my opinion is exaggerated.

Things don't "make" us curious because "things" don't "jump" into our minds. We Take them In..and we auto(-react) or not. I didn't mean for this to become a subject of the mind to this depth. I was attempting to be helpful but the Language barrier is a problem. I'm going to walk away here.. I Appreciate you being Helpful...continue to do so. If you'd like to chat further, MP me..otherwise, carry on, Amiga Friend.

Quote:
From this moment I won't do any more news.

I _hope_ you reconsider.
Old 08 May 2020, 10:41   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

Unfortunately, those who commit themselves to doing something are wrong, those who do nothing are never wrong, so it is better to do nothing.

Those who want to follow my News can do so HERE
Old 08 May 2020, 10:59   #17
britelite

Quote:
Unfortunately, those who commit themselves to doing something are wrong, those who do nothing are never wrong, so it is better to do nothing.
And when you commit to doing something, why not do it properly?

Seriously, you got some very good and constructive criticism. If you're incapable of taking that to heart then it probably is best that you post somewhere else.
Old 15 May 2020, 00:30   #18
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Well that's a great shame. I always enjoyed your news posts.
Old 01 June 2020, 18:21   #19
tygre
Returning fan!

Wow, you guys manage to antagonise AmigaSystem because (1) his choice of a title and (2) his choice of an illustrative image, while he welcomed the suggestion to add the authors' names... are you ?

@AmigaSystem, please come back and ignore the naysayers!

As we say in French: criticism is easy, art is difficult

Last edited by tygre; 01 June 2020 at 18:22. Reason: Grammar
Old 01 June 2020, 21:20   #20
AMIGASYSTEM

Thanks Tygre, you're a real gentleman, since there are people who appreciate my work I'll be back to do the news.