English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 22 February 2009, 15:45   #41
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
@ hit

Hi hit, do you mean in the A-Max control panel? If so, I didn't notice it... Could I really create some virtual memory by using hard disk space? This is not mentioned in the A-Max manual...
EDIT: if you mean A-Max IV, I cannot use it on my A600
its a feature of mac os itself. i've here a 7.5.5 running. from within the emulation (running mac os). click on the apple symbol upper left, drop down menu -> controlpanel (might called differnt) -> memory (might also named different). a window pops up, and you can here enable virtual memory.
but not sure if it really needs mmu support. its a 030/881 here.
but if it isnt grey'ed out, its possible to have hdd space used as memory.
Old 22 February 2009, 17:28   #42
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
good early mac emulator for the pc is SheepShaver

I used to have some amax disks, might still have them, think 1 had mac write on
never had any hardware though and probably used xcopy nibble to copy the disks
Hi cosmicfrog,

IMHO one of the best solutions would be a Mac emulator for Windows which supports both the A-Max format (read/write) and the floppy images. Does it exist?

CORRECTION: one of the best solutions would be a Mac emulator for Amiga which supports... etc. A PC floppy drive would not be able to write A-Max disks.

EDIT: there are a lot of dumping programs for Amiga and PC. Is it possible that I can't find a single one (PD/Freeware) for the Mac/ Mac Plus ?? Other than Disk Copy, I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit View Post
its a feature of mac os itself. i've here a 7.5.5 running. from within the emulation (running mac os). click on the apple symbol upper left, drop down menu -> controlpanel (might called differnt) -> memory (might also named different). a window pops up, and you can here enable virtual memory.
but not sure if it really needs mmu support. its a 030/881 here.
but if it isnt grey'ed out, its possible to have hdd space used as memory.
Hi hit,

unfortunately I have a much older System in A-Max format (see the .adf I uploaded to The Zone)... it doesn't allow virtual memory .

Last edited by Supamax; 22 February 2009 at 23:43. Reason: merged two posts into one
Old 22 February 2009, 17:32   #43
hit

Quote:
Hi hit,

unfortunately I have a much older System in A-Max format (see the .adf I uploaded to The Zone)... it doesn't allow virtual memory .
oh, sorry then. not sure, when they intriduced this feature. was just and idea.
Old 22 February 2009, 17:34   #44
Supamax

Quote:
oh, sorry then. not sure, when they intriduced this feature. was just and idea.
Every idea can be a solution. Thanks anyway

A great thing would be if CrossMac could dump A-Max disks. As far as I know and tried, it can copy an A-Max floppy on another floppy (or extract/insert files from/in it), but cannot create an image from a disk...

Last edited by Supamax; 22 February 2009 at 17:41.
Old 22 February 2009, 17:47   #45
hit

i havnt follwed the whole thread, but have you seen http://www.emulators.com/explorer.htm ?
( Gemulator Explorer can read Macintosh formatted high density (1.44M) floppy disks as well as other Macintosh formatted removable media such as ZIP, Syquest, Jaz, and CD-ROMs. )
there is also Softmac and FusionPC on that page http://www.emulators.com/download.htm .

Edit: "SOFTMAC.ZIP (1.1M)" contains the gemulator explorer

Last edited by hit; 22 February 2009 at 19:08.
Old 22 February 2009, 19:40   #46
Supamax

Perhaps I found an easier way.

Emplant supports A-Max floppy reading/writing .
It probably supports Mac floppy images too (.img, .image, etc.).
And it probably easily supports hard disks.

Can I run it somehow on my A600 1MB RAM? Or does it only support 68020 minimum?
With Emplant I could copy my physical A-Max floppies to images on HD, and viceversa.
I read that a software-only version of Emplant does exist.

Alternatively, if someone could help me configuring A-Max II on my A600HD so that I can see the internal IDE CF from the emulated Mac... but I suppose I should repartition it

EDIT: DiskDup is interesting too. I don't know if it can run on 1MB A600, and save compressed images on floppy.

Last edited by Supamax; 23 February 2009 at 00:43.
Old 22 February 2009, 23:30   #47
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Supamax,

I have checked all the Macintosh System, Tools and Utilities disk images I have, and not one has a version of Disk Copy earlier than 4.2.

I'm not even sure that an earlier version actually exists. Version 4.2 is what all the Apple Lisa disk images I have were produced with and it is the version that is recommended for restoring them to floppy disk. And the Apple Lisa predates the Macintosh machines.

I have several versions of the Emplant software and updates on various CDs, but AFAIK all are legitimate, i.e. unhacked, versions which require the Emplant hardware.

BTW, your stored personal messages are taking up all your allocated space again.

prowler
Old 22 February 2009, 23:38   #48
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I have checked all the Macintosh System, Tools and Utilities disk images I have, and not one has a version of Disk Copy earlier than 4.2.
I will not surrender so soon ...
Can you try this one? :
http://rolli.ch/MacPlus/Archives/ZIP/Disk011.zip
(System 1.1 - Finder 1.1)

This is so old it has to be pre-v4.2 ...
Old 23 February 2009, 00:00   #49
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I will not surrender so soon ...
Can you try this one? :
http://rolli.ch/MacPlus/Archives/ZIP/Disk011.zip
(System 1.1 - Finder 1.1)

This is so old it has to be pre-v4.2 ...
Hi Supamax,

OK, I've downloaded it, but I can't try it on my Mac, because it needs the same monitor I'm using now.

I've looked at it quickly with a binary file editor, and it does seem to contain Disk Copy functionality, so I'm now downloading a Mac ROM and Mac Plus emulator to check it out...

prowler
Old 23 February 2009, 00:23   #50
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Supamax,

That disk image does contain a Disk Copy utility. It has no version info associated with it.

When it is run in the Macintosh Plus emulatior, it shows the error message:
Disk Copy only works on a Standard 128K Macintosh:
please use the Finder to copy instead.

I shall now download all the Macintosh System disk images on that website to find the earliest version which will work in Macintosh Plus emulation.

Don't go away...

prowler
Old 23 February 2009, 00:29   #51
Supamax

Quote:
I shall now download all the Macintosh System disk images on that website to find the earliest version which will work in Macintosh Plus emulation.

Don't go away...

prowler
Ok, but don't count on it... . I tried all the zipped (PC-side) images on that website and the only one containing Disk Copy was the one I linked previously...

I'm stuck.
EDIT#1: what do you think about DiskDup? Do you think it would run on A600/A-Max 1MB RAM?
EDIT#2: does ShapeShifter support A-Max-formatted floppies?

Last edited by Supamax; 23 February 2009 at 00:41.
Old 23 February 2009, 01:11   #52
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ok, but don't count on it... . I tried all the zipped (PC-side) images on that website and the only one containing Disk Copy was the one I linked previously...
Well, I've now tried them all. Actually, I tried them earlier today, but then it was with the Mac-archived .sea.hqx versions (they're all the same ).
There was one other disk image with a Disk Copy utility in it:
http://rolli.ch/MacPlus/Archives/ZIP/Disk201.zip
but when this was run, it gave the same error message as the one in the disk image you linked to. This version could, of course, be run inside a Macintosh 128K emulation, and the A-Max will emulate a Macintosh 128K machine, but that requires a 64kB ROM image and will only read and write 400kB MFS format floppies.

Quote:
I'm stuck.
EDIT#1: what do you think about DiskDup? Do you think it would run on A600/A-Max 1MB RAM?
EDIT#2: does ShapeShifter support A-Max-formatted floppies?
Because Disk Copy 4.2 and later versions have proved satisfactory for all my Macintosh machines and the emulators I have used, I have not tried anything else, so couldn't even guess whether they might run in A-Max emulation on any Amiga, and I have not tried ShapeShifter either. I guess we'll just have to try them now.

prowler
Old 23 February 2009, 01:15   #53
Supamax

Mmm... just another idea (may prove stupid though):
is there a way to redirect AmigaDOS Diskcopy output to a file?
I'm asking this because CrossMac installs a newer Diskcopy command, and perhaps I can redirect its output to a file instead of a floppy disk ...
Old 23 February 2009, 01:31   #54
prowler
Global Moderator

There are, of course, other Macintosh disk copiers/imaging utilities besides Disk Copy. ShrinkWrap and Disk Charmer, as well as the one you have mentioned, DiskDup. Disk Copy is so good, though, that I doubt any of these would be of advantage in the A-Max environment. The name "ShrinkWrap" suggests that it might incorporate compression into the image, which would be useful here, but I'm not sure that it does.

Quote:
Mmm... just another idea (may prove stupid though):
is there a way to redirect AmigaDOS Diskcopy output to a file?
I'm asking this because CrossMac installs a newer Diskcopy command, and perhaps I can redirect its output to a file instead of a floppy disk ...
This idea may prove better than you think. I'll have to get the Amiga OS manuals out and find out if it's possible to do this, or whether it is possible to assign an .ADF image to be used instead of a floppy disk drive. This might require an additional utility, though.

prowler
Old 23 February 2009, 01:41   #55
Supamax

Quote:
There are, of course, other Macintosh disk copiers/imaging utilities besides Disk Copy. ShrinkWrap and Disk Charmer, as well as the one you have mentioned, DiskDup. Disk Copy is so good, though, that I doubt any of these would be of advantage in the A-Max environment. The name "ShrinkWrap" suggests that it might incorporate compression into the image, which would be useful here, but I'm not sure that it does.
ShrinkWrap and Disk Charmer seem too "advanced" (OS X, PPC, etc.) to run under A-Max, I fear...

But what about a Disk Copy version in-between?
I mean, newer than the versions on the mentioned website and older than v4.2?
Impossible to find?

Last edited by Supamax; 23 February 2009 at 01:47.
Old 23 February 2009, 01:59   #56
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
ShrinkWrap and Disk Charmer seem to "advanced" (OS X, PPC, etc.) to run under A-Max, I fear...
I don't have any copy of DiskDup, but I have some early versions of the ShrinkWrap and Disk Charmer utilities, that I doubt will require PPC let alone OS X. I'll give them a try under Mac Plus emulation.

Quote:
But what about a Disk Copy version in-between?
I mean, newer than the versions on the mentioned website and older than v4.2?
Impossible to find?
I do not have a Disk Copy version older than 4.2, apart from the one which requires the Macintosh 128K environment, nor have I ever heard of one. I have spent most of today sat at my Macintosh with a pile of Zip disks looking for something. I'm as disappointeed as you are. I also did a lengthy Google search yesterday evening during the quiet moments while I was online, but nothing else came up.

I think it's time to get the AmigaDOS manual out to follow up your latest idea.

prowler
Old 23 February 2009, 02:07   #57
Supamax

Quote:
I don't have any copy of DiskDup, but I have some early versions of the ShrinkWrap and Disk Charmer utilities, that I doubt will require PPC let alone OS X. I'll give them a try under Mac Plus emulation.
Great! Thanks for the effort

Quote:
I have spent most of today sat at my Macintosh with a pile of Zip disks looking for something. I'm as disappointeed as you are. I also did a lengthy Google search yesterday evening during the quiet moments while I was online, but nothing else came up.
Damn, if only CrossMac could create&manage images .

However, you COULD write your disk images back on real A-Max floppies.
If you could install (on your A1200) an emulator which can handle the A-Max format, you could "copy" the image to the disk.

Does anybody have a working software-only version of Emplant?

Last edited by Supamax; 23 February 2009 at 02:12.
Old 23 February 2009, 12:46   #58
hit

found a software only version in the boondox archive. have a look into the zone.
delete the "installer" file on the adf. its too old, crashed here, using workbench 3.9 - installer script uses then the one in c: .
software starts and says "hardware: emulated".
Old 23 February 2009, 16:39   #59
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
well I`ve found me old disks, Yay , lets hope they still work

will take me a few days, as gota find some space to set the trusty A1200 up

nice work hit will try it out when get some time
Old 23 February 2009, 17:11   #60
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
well I`ve found me old disks, Yay , lets hope they still work will take me a few days, as gota find some space to set the trusty A1200 up nice work hit will try it out when get some time
Hi cosmicfrog! You mean you found your old A-Max-format disks? Great! BTW, you could copy them file-per-file (with CrossMac) from A-Max disks to AmigaDOS disks and back, but what I (and prowler) am searching for is some way to dump a whole floppy. So I beg you to try Emplant; with it you should be able to dump your floppies and get images, uploadable to the Zone

Quote:
found a software only version in the boondox archive. have a look into the zone.
delete the "installer" file on the adf. its too old, crashed here, using workbench 3.9 - installer script uses then the one in c: .
software starts and says "hardware: emulated".
Yeah!
Downloaded. You're right, the installer gives errors... Could you explain to me/us how to (manually ?) install it, possibly step-by-step?

EDIT#1: no, I was wrong. The installer gives errors with 1MB A600. Now trying with more RAM... 3MB RAM seem Ok for installation.
EDIT#2: I successfully installed it on my usual "hard disk" (PC drawer) in WinUAE, but now I cannot boot anymore; I get a yellow screen...
Does Emplant do something to the hard didk boot sector?
Also, Emplant's MacROM drawer is empty

Last edited by Supamax; 23 February 2009 at 17:35.