English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 March 2010, 01:07   #1
th4t1guy

winUAE freezes copying harddrive contents...

I ended up buying a usb adapter for a 2.5" harddrive that I have several amiga partitions on (drive is about 800meg, all FFS).
I've added the harddrive in WinUAE (along with my windows drives) and I'm trying to backup the data to a local harddisk. I'm booting off a workbench 3.1 adf image and I have my UAE configuration set to a basic a4000 setup. My Windows drives and the harddrive on the usb adapter show up in workbench fine, but when I try to copy the drive contents, it will copy several megs of data then WinUAE freezes. I've tried drag'n'drop from workbench as well as the copy command from shell, same results. Also, if I try to create a harddisk image file in winUAE, winUAE will freeze. I have to unplug the drive before I can close WinUAE.
Anyone have an idea what might be wrong? I'm running Windows 7 64bit on the host PC.
Old 01 March 2010, 06:06   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
A good idea is setting WinUAE as a common A1200 030 with the JIT button ticked. Use HD as bootable and write enabled.

Then add one partition at a time to a lha archive in the PC disk.

Some settings in WinUAE may not like W7.
Old 01 March 2010, 08:34   #3
thomas

Quote:
but when I try to copy the drive contents, it will copy several megs of data then WinUAE freezes. I've tried drag'n'drop from workbench as well as the copy command from shell, same results. Also, if I try to create a harddisk image file in winUAE, winUAE will freeze. I have to unplug the drive before I can close WinUAE.
This sounds as if the drive is dying. It probably has a physical read error at some point. You should try to "copy around" the error, i.e. copy until it freezes, remember which file was copied last, reboot and continue with the next file or even leave out some files.

You could also use the latest beta version of tsgui to create a HDF image of the HDD. It has an option to automatically continue after a freeze/reboot and to skip a few sectors.
Old 01 March 2010, 16:24   #4
th4t1guy

I'll give tsgui a go and see if that works. The first time I hooked the drive up and tried copying files, I got a drive sector error in workbench. However, I haven't had that error since, and it seems to freeze no matter what directory/files I try to copy...it seems like it gives up after a certain amount of data is transferred. I was thinking the drive might be going out, but it works perfectly when hooked up to the amiga (just a little noisy), so I'm wondering if the problem is with the adapter or WinUAE.
Old 01 March 2010, 16:33   #5
thomas

Quote:
it works perfectly when hooked up to the amiga
Then just hook another HDD to the Amiga and do the copying on the Amiga.

Quote:
so I'm wondering if the problem is with the adapter or WinUAE.
More likely the adapter. Does it have a seperate power supply or is it powered through USB ? If the latter then perhaps the drive does not get enough power.

You could try to boot with Linux and use dd to create an image.
Old 01 March 2010, 18:10   #6
th4t1guy

Quote:
Then just hook another HDD to the Amiga and do the copying on the Amiga.
The Amiga is a cd32 + sx-1 expansion. The IDE controller is 44-pin mini IDE, and I'm not sure if a cable exists that supports 2 devices. Although, there is an external harddrive port on the SX-1 that almost looks like parallel, but I'm not sure what that would even hook up to as I've never seen anything like it elsewhere.

Quote:
More likely the adapter. Does it have a seperate power supply or is it powered through USB ? If the latter then perhaps the drive does not get enough power.
It's usb powered. It supports 44-pin IDE, 40-pin IDE, and sata, with a separate power adapter for 3.5" drives.

It looks like I have a few options open to keep me busy for a while, so we'll see where it goes.
Old 02 March 2010, 06:11   #7
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
The Amiga is a cd32 + sx-1 expansion. The IDE controller is 44-pin mini IDE, and I'm not sure if a cable exists that supports 2 devices. Although, there is an external harddrive port on the SX-1 that almost looks like parallel, but I'm not sure what that would even hook up to as I've never seen anything like it elsewhere.

It's usb powered. It supports 44-pin IDE, 40-pin IDE, and sata, with a separate power adapter for 3.5" drives.

It looks like I have a few options open to keep me busy for a while, so we'll see where it goes.
I couldn't find a cable with three headers on it, but you can buy them separately and make your own.