English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 May 2007, 08:37   #61
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I think I would have got more excited over a new production run of AGA Amigas... maybe with 060 as standard or a Coldfire Amiga rather than this.... Unless AOS is gonna run on x86 they might as well have just extended the "Classic" range... A4000 with PCI slots would have been do-able.. ANYTHING but this... Might as well have just re-badged Sam440 or Efika as an Amiga!
Old 03 May 2007, 08:43   #62
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Personally I think it was said correctly by some one before, that this *news* is all a ruse to beef up A.inc's court case agains't hyperon.

After all, why else would you partner with ACK ? its not as if they have EVER delivered something...

as it was said before in another (full of fanboi forum) this news it total bogus.

who in their right mind would launch to the public a product they cannot have for another year!? indeed.... total bollox me thinks too...
Old 03 May 2007, 08:53   #63
ppill
CON: artist

@logix
Thanks for reminding me of those. Great stuff. Loved them back then.
Old 03 May 2007, 10:57   #64
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
LOL I like the ship picture the best!
Me too !
Old 03 May 2007, 17:16   #65
darksun9210
Because i can.

i don't want a whole new box, i just want a tidy PPC card for my A1200 as ACK originally promised?

failing that, just an OS4 disk i can install, to use my PPC board for something other than faster inline image rendering in web pages..
Old 04 May 2007, 15:02   #66
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
I think I would have got more excited over a new production run of AGA Amigas... maybe with 060 as standard or a Coldfire Amiga rather than this.... Unless AOS is gonna run on x86 they might as well have just extended the "Classic" range... A4000 with PCI slots would have been do-able.. ANYTHING but this... Might as well have just re-badged Sam440 or Efika as an Amiga!
Yup - quite agree: The only two half sensible options, depending what you're after:

-'New' classic Amigas incorporating some modern-ish standards ( BoXer? )
-AOS4 for x86 ( But with AROS getting closer... )

The former could happen.., the latter..? The rest is just so much B.S.
Old 04 May 2007, 15:43   #67
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Had to use that Amiga Park image for avatar.
Old 06 May 2007, 19:19   #68
dambuster
Zone Friend

its gotta be true now - Virgin Media says so, and they really put thier customers first just like A inc.

http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/n...toryid=7607337
Old 07 May 2007, 01:09   #69
MickTheLip

So the base level NEW?Amiga seems to have gone down a bundle with most people but what about the Highend version?Guess we will all find out later today when they are suposed to be posting the specs.

Old 07 May 2007, 02:42   #70
Basquemactee1
Old Fart New WinUAE user

Mick, dunno if this is relevant/previously seen, but just uncovered this just now.......

http://news.digitaltrends.com/article12871.html

A wee bit more to go on....
Old 07 May 2007, 03:52   #71
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

personally i believe its all smoke!

not one of them companys have delivere ANYTHING in the last five years.... i seriously doubt there going to start now!
Old 07 May 2007, 11:47   #72
Ultron
Something

They don't even have an OS. OS4 is in limbo, hyperion is sure not going to port it around as court proceedings go on. OS5 doesn't exist. Even if it does it's probably some half-assed-shite. Nothing to do with Workbench.

ACK is a borderline fraud. He failed dozens of announcements years after years, lie his way through it all, loads of complains about he just keeping other peoples hardware. Amiga Inc. seems totally obsessed about never releasing anything related to Amiga. Some even speculate that AI is taking cash from a silent bigger player on the market who just wants the Amiga brand dead. From me, no comments.

It's also clear both the ACK fraudster - who as far as we know is merely one person with a backyard soldering, and the oft-lying-never-releasing Amiga Inc, are conniving to screw Hyperion in court and attempt to steal OS4 or, more likely, just make it impossible to be sold or turn into a viable product, which it was about to with aCube. The recent Coupon recoup seems to corroborate it, they're trying to clean up evidence of malfeasance before trial. It was one of Hyperion's legal ballasts.

The whole process is horribly sordid, dishonest, and for the casual amiga user plain nauseating to watch.
Old 07 May 2007, 12:10   #73
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Ultron

!A.Greed!
Old 07 May 2007, 12:24   #74
ppill
CON: artist

And with today's announcement of the high end model it's all going to be elevated to a new level of absurdity.
Old 07 May 2007, 15:29   #75
Deaths_Head

New Entry Level Amiga

Well I think the entry level machine is OK, not perfect, but a damn site cheaper than the amigaone was, and if it comes ready to run out of the box with AOS4 then it is a relatively cheap way to sample the new os.

If they put it in an A1200 style case with TV out with a decent software package; browser, media player, and a classic amiga game collection i'll definitely buy one.

I'm sure if they released similar package above and advertised it in Retro Gamer and Games TM mags then a few ex amigans would buy out of curiosity.
Old 07 May 2007, 15:45   #76
Deaths_Head

I don't know what people are bitching about, the cyberstorm ppc upgrade cards did not run at these speeds, yet people want new classic machine's, that would be more expensive to produce and inferrior.

Apparently AOS4 runs well on the Classic ppc machine so it will fly on this entry level machine.

The market is just too small to support cheap powerfull hardware like the pc.
I know it's not the best spec machine, and i would rather they ported to X86, and supported only a small number of motherboards, that would have been ideal, but hopefully this will come in the future.
Old 07 May 2007, 16:32   #77
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths_Head
I don't know what people are bitching about, the cyberstorm ppc upgrade cards did not run at these speeds, yet people want new classic machine's, that would be more expensive to produce and inferrior.

Apparently AOS4 runs well on the Classic ppc machine so it will fly on this entry level machine.

The market is just too small to support cheap powerfull hardware like the pc.
I know it's not the best spec machine, and i would rather they ported to X86, and supported only a small number of motherboards, that would have been ideal, but hopefully this will come in the future.
Say... they support nForce3 type motherboards, and Nvidia GeForce8 gfx-cards (in PCI, AGP and PCIe mode) for example. OS4 (or whatever) might run on other boards (Like VIA chipset) but it'll be unsupported.

Is that somewhat alike to what you have in mind?
Old 07 May 2007, 16:37   #78
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I heard the high end model will be PWRficientâ„¢ PA6T-1682M from PA Semi. It actually sounds cool. (only if it were real ...)
Old 07 May 2007, 16:39   #79
Deaths_Head

yep thats it, they could officially support only those chipsets.
or if they wanted more control over the hardware they could buy hardware in bulk assemble in there own cases with some kind of dongle on the motherboard so that it only runs on there motherboards and sell as a complete system ready to run out of the box. this to me should have been done years ago.
but its a moot point as we are with ppc now.
Old 07 May 2007, 16:45   #80
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

I can't help but think "if C= had gone with 030 in the A1200 and upped the RAM to 4MB chip"..... but of course, keeping costs down and sell a certain large amount of computers.....

I heard back when, what caused the largest losses in 1991/1992 was them trying to get into the cruiseship business..... anyone know about the actual losses the made?