English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 23 June 2007, 23:07   #41
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32
Hey Graham. My PC is completely dead now, but I've got a laptop here to use now, so I wouldn't mind giving this another shot, if you're still interested.
Definitely Good to hear from you again.

Quote:
I think I hesitated to start sooner because I'm not quite clear on exactly the sort of enemies to draw. How many, what size, what style you want to go for. I mean I have a bunch of ideas, but I need more direction, or a template to work from.
Hmm, I should have a short design document written by Marco yonks ago around here somewhere, he came up with some cracking ideas, if I could dig that out would you like a copy of that? (Always assuming that's okay with Marco of course) IIRC it's not particularly strict; if you've got any ideas of your own then feel free to use them.

Quote:
The last version of the game I installed on my PC and tried through UAE didnt work, although earlier versions did. I've also got my A1200 set up again now, but still have no way to transfer anything between the laptop and the Amiga. I'm working on getting a CF-IDE adapter though, which should help a bit.
Strange that it doesn't work in UAE, I'll have to give it a go soon.

Quote:
Do you want this game to be a massive arcade quality game or a shareware quality game? Because I'm not sure how well I can draw horizontal spaceship sprites, but I do want to try.
I've got no set idea as to the quality of the graphics or anything; basically as good as you possibly can

Even if you don't think they'd be that good I'd still appreciate them. I don't want to put you under any pressure as to wanting them arcade-quality or whatever, I want you to have as much freedom as possible.

Thanks for digging this one up again, it's about time I wrote some code for this game again, this might just give me the incentive.
Old 24 June 2007, 02:05   #42
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Hmm, I should have a short design document written by Marco yonks ago around here somewhere, he came up with some cracking ideas, if I could dig that out would you like a copy of that? (Always assuming that's okay with Marco of course) IIRC it's not particularly strict; if you've got any ideas of your own then feel free to use them.
sure it is ok with me, ans as Graham says, it is not meant to be restrictive.
i still have it somewhere on the pc, i'll dig it out from the archive if needed.
Old 24 June 2007, 10:36   #43
Graham Humphrey

Cheers Marco, I should still have all the stuff you sent me but I'll let you know if I can't find it
Old 24 June 2007, 10:59   #44
Graham Humphrey

Hmm, it seems like "should have the stuff" translates as "I don't have the stuff"...

Any chance you could find the document and e-mail it to me again please? Many thanks!
Old 24 June 2007, 15:51   #45
Marcuz

sent at your email
Old 24 June 2007, 16:04   #46
Graham Humphrey

Cheers, I got it okay.

Give me a shout if you want a copy Rebel-CD32
Old 24 June 2007, 16:57   #47
Marcuz

btw, Graham, if you eventually go past the colours and memory limitation, or allow me use a 4 colours on screen palette only, i would like to tackle some level...
huge objects on screen etc...

also, i would like to do a black and white only shot em up, if somebody is interested...

Last edited by Marcuz; 24 June 2007 at 17:02.
Old 24 June 2007, 17:06   #48
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
i would like to do a black and white only shot em up, if somebody is interested...
Now THAT'S oldschool, baby!
Old 24 June 2007, 18:22   #49
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
or allow me use a 4 colours on screen palette only
Just curious - why four colours?
Old 24 June 2007, 18:30   #50
BippyM
Global Moderator

I wanna see a proper 256 colour shmup
Old 24 June 2007, 18:39   #51
Graham Humphrey

Oh, almost forgot this...

Quote:
also, i would like to do a black and white only shot em up, if somebody is interested...
That sounds rather intrguing, what exactly do you have in mind?
Old 24 June 2007, 18:49   #52
Shoonay
Global Caturator

An noir shmup from the prohibition days :]
Old 25 June 2007, 02:10   #53
Marcuz

i was thinking of very few colours and objects on screen with a higher interaction and behaviour than the usual shmup.

why?

the enemies or obstacles would be more active in pursuing or move on screen, with no patterns or a number of patterns that would simulate an AI. there would be need for more response-effect then, in the number of the "events" (collision, explosions, other), so that the player would have the feeling of having effectively acted on the gameplay, or on its pattern.
this would call for suddden changes of the whole screen (for different reasons, the effects are similar in the game Astrosmash, on intellivision)
and effects of movement on the numbers and weapon display (think of the point counters in the Pinball illusion/fantasies games)

Add to this me wanting to use big objects on screen regularly, even more than half screen big, both colliding and not colliding.

then it comes to mind a few colour pattern, 2,3 or 4 colours on screen at time, maybe even on scale (like white, grey, black, + transparent) they could change (and should) on other colour-scale during the came, with sudden flashes or touches of a single colour not on scale.

i was thinking of a completely white background, with grey/black objects moving in, no details on the background at all. or maybe ok to the detail, so to have an easier feeling of movement... i would have to thinker on it a while, but i believe, not only it could work but it could be a very entertaining and original game at least it is in my head...
Old 25 June 2007, 06:18   #54
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I'd say a complete white bkg would be an eye-killer, how about the negative of that? A completely black bkg (with black>gray stars/planets and other space objects, maybe?) with white objects?
Old 25 June 2007, 12:02   #55
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay
I'd say a complete white bkg would be an eye-killer, how about the negative of that? A completely black bkg (with black>gray stars/planets and other space objects, maybe?) with white objects?
naa that's been overdone. besides, it hasn't to be a #ffffff kind of white.

however, i've decided to do some mock up. i'll do them this week in the spare time and start a different thread not to hi-jack Annihilation'
Old 26 June 2007, 02:05   #56
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Thanks, guys. Graham, if you could send me that document again that'd be great. Do you want the graphics to look realistic, cartoony, colourful? I can try beng versatile, I don't have my own style yet, so if you want to pick a game whose graphics you like, I can try and draw up something similar using the design rules you give me.
Old 26 June 2007, 09:40   #57
Graham Humphrey

I've sent you an e-mail with the file

It'll probably veer more towards realistic (not that you can have realistic aliens, but I think you know what I mean) rather than cartoony, given the bleak storyline to the game.

As for being colourful... well, it is limited to only 16 colours (15 really, colour 0 is transparent) for the aliens, map tiles, bullets, power-up icons, and explosions. I admit this isn't a lot but that's the limitations of using a dual-playfield mode in AGA (the background is on a separate playfield so it has its own palette, also the player's ship uses its own palette) and besides, doing a 256-colour scrolling shoot-em-up in Blitz isn't a clever idea, I reckon.

I don't think it would fit the game to be over-colourful though. I hope you can live with these limitations

Oh, and Marco, would you still be interested in doing cut-scenes and things like that (i.e. between levels, intro etc.)? You'll get 256 colours to play with then.
Old 26 June 2007, 10:34   #58
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Oh, and Marco, would you still be interested in doing cut-scenes and things like that (i.e. between levels, intro etc.)? You'll get 256 colours to play with then.
sure, yes
just send me the specs for what you need. i would like to do something along the lines of the in-between of hired guns. but if you want something more tv-cartoon it's ok too, let me know
i need to know size, how many screens (the intros for the levels only or also game intro, outro etc)
Old 26 June 2007, 17:36   #59
Graham Humphrey

Thanks

Not sure about specs and stuff yet, if some level graphics get done then we can think about something that "ties in" with the game (i.e. a bit like the intro before each level of Project-X).

But also I would like a "proper" intro and outro too, obviously that would be several screens but I'll have to write the storyline out properly at some point so I know how many screens that would take.
Old 30 June 2007, 20:05   #60
Graham Humphrey

@Rebel-CD32:

Just wondering if you got my email the other day okay (the one with the design document attached) as I haven't heard from you since then, thanks!