English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 15 December 2011, 19:23   #41
Photon

...Which probably isn't a quantity of 1.

Anyway, no there was no reply from the helpful Swe retailer once he heard I only wanted 1. And no order form that I could see, only a "request quote" type form.
Old 24 December 2011, 01:36   #42
Photon

I hereby declare my love for internal speakers in all home computers!

See below <3

Roy, Since I made this one my second portable now, I'll stick with the 80 MHz as it seems near what the PicoPSU can output (~6A on the 3.3V). I do prefer to not have the fan at max loudness already, and it would be a bit dumb to make it a portable and lug an ATX PSU around with it.

I still had a problem with the connector on occasion. I didn't have this in my A1200, but I think I've figured it out: the connector is very tight and must therefore be very straight onto the expansion connector. In my case, it was kind of "hanging" on the connector. When I suddenly got several boots in a row where it just wouldn't start (black screen and then nothing happens), I got the idea to lift it a little with my finger while turning power on. Suddenly after 8 or so unsuccessful boots (well, the first one started but froze after 30 secs) it started right up!

I cut out a stiff piece of plastic and put it here:

Too early to say bad boots are over, but I've not had a single bad boot out of 6 since and I've used it for 45 mins so far.

-~-

Last mod was to put in these excellent Nokia MD-8 speakers. I wanted to also have one of those fancy schmancy headphone jacks that turn speakers off when headphones are plugged in, that I may track past 22:00 hours. The speakers were about 10% too loud, and even though they sounded wonderful I didn't need quite that volume for demos etc. So I got a dual gang potentiometer (well 2, the first one had a duff right channel) to give the Amiga a volume control.

I can't begin to tell you how lovely it is with these internal speakers The sound sort of emanates from the magical space between you and the screen... it makes the computer feel more alive, sort of. I'm really in love with it

I removed the RCA's and just put the headphone jack and pot in their place. It was also necessary, because if the left leg of each RCA is connected to the mobo, it will make the sound mono until something is plugged into both RCA jacks.

As you can see, pretty much everything is fastened combining my ugly but useful combination of adhesive Velcro and hotglue The speakers are Velcro'd to the mobo, so that they may vibrate freely but will still stay in place during transport.

-~-

So, I now have a great portable tracker-, coding- and demomachine and I'm very happy

>>> Gallery Here <<<

All I need do now is ask Santa for a suitable suitcase for it... Merry Xmas

Last edited by Photon; 24 December 2011 at 11:49.
Old 24 December 2011, 01:57   #43
Amiga1992

Awesome system., Photon!!
Old 25 December 2011, 15:30   #44
Hewitson

Tempted to do this, but the A1200 case is so much nicer... I'd absolutely love to see Starstruck running on real hardware though.