English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 08 January 2016, 21:42   #1
mrvp

Can you use a DualShock4 with FS-UAE?

Hi all,

I use FS-UAE (2.6.2) to emulate the Amiga on a Mac. It works fine but previously I had used a Logitech F310 which mapped cleanly. The F310 needed to be replaced so I went with a DualShock4 which I use with a USB & mapped cleanly with Openemu & SDL Mame.

With FS-UAE however it often picks it up as a "wireless controller" however it then seems to drop in & drop out (and usually drops out - e.g. doesn't even pick it up when I open the Launcher). The F310 just plugged in & went out of the box (admittidly it had to be re-set first). Has anyone else had any similar problems? Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Old 08 January 2016, 22:23   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

I use a ps4 dual shock without problems... It does only show as "wireless controller" like you say.

Maybe check there isn't any other Bluetooth device its accidentally trying to connect to (I had this problem with my raspberry pi and PS3 pad being affected by my MacBook) ... Otherwise do the usual resetting of the pad (is it a button combo on the ps4? I forget) and re-line the pad with your Mac from scratch with the wire.
Old 09 January 2016, 00:11   #3
mrvp

Sorted........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
I use a ps4 dual shock without problems... It does only show as "wireless controller" like you say.

Maybe check there isn't any other Bluetooth device its accidentally trying to connect to (I had this problem with my raspberry pi and PS3 pad being affected by my MacBook) ... Otherwise do the usual resetting of the pad (is it a button combo on the ps4? I forget) and re-line the pad with your Mac from scratch with the wire.
Thanks. Oddly, I moved my original install to the trash & did a fresh install, created a new profile (which I think I may have some settings missing from previous set-ups.... you know when you get things how you want them but don't do a profile) and it works cleanly, first time, straight out of the box. Had a random crash, but think that was due to the settings that I hadn't got sorted. Now I just need to clear up all the random profiles I created trying to make it work & get back to where I was. Cheers for the suggestion though.

Old 09 January 2016, 06:39   #4
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvp View Post
Had a random crash, but think that was due to the settings that I hadn't got sorted.
On a side note, if you can reproduce that crash by redoing the same steps you should probably send your crashing config to Frode, I am sure he does not expect this code to crash even in this situation.

I will be working with the sources of FS-UAE this week end or the next one so I might give it a look if you can reproduce it systematically.
Old 15 January 2016, 14:36   #5
mrvp

Still having issues......

Hi all,

Just a slight update on this, I am still having issues

In short, I'd only just upgraded from 2.4(something) to 2.6.2 recently, so I don't know if I would have still had these issues with the Logitech that I am having with the DualShock 4.

In short I am running OSX 10.8 - which is old but not that old so I am presuming it is not an OS issue.

Basically whatever version of the Amiga I'm running seems to determine whether or not it picks the DualShock up. E.g. A600 or A1200 doesn't seem to pick the DualShock up (even though the preferences screen, identifies it as a DualShock 4 when you try and configure it - I thought that this may be an issue). The rom will load, but the DualShock doesn't get picked up.

With the A500 it seems to pick the DualShock up fine all the way, but then you seem to get erratic ingame behaviour (e.g. Speedball 2 - which I'm sure goes with an A500 as I had one and the game - the DualShock4 suddenly stop working, game freezes and locks up).

Re: the Kickstart I am using it's something that I pulled off an old Zip Disk (don't laugh) when I was tidying up some old files last year;

Kickstart-Disk_v1.3_r34.5_(1987)(Commodore)(A1000).adf - honestly can't remember where I got it but it worked fine with the previous version of FS-UAE that I was using (2.4.something).

Basically I wondered if I was doing anything obviously wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 16 January 2016, 11:38   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE does not really care if it is a Logitech device or a DualShock 4 device. If the operating system recognizes it, and FS-UAE has a mapping for it (either bundled or user-provided via preferences) it should work just fine.

Quote:
With the A500 it seems to pick the DualShock up fine all the way, but then you seem to get erratic ingame behaviour (e.g. Speedball 2 - which I'm sure goes with an A500 as I had one and the game - the DualShock4 suddenly stop working, game freezes and locks up)
Can you tell if it is the game which locks up, or FS-UAE itself? Can you open the F12 menu using either the keyboard or gamepad, or both?

Quote:
Kickstart-Disk_v1.3_r34.5_(1987)(Commodore)(A1000).adf - honestly can't remember where I got it but it worked fine with the previous version of FS-UAE that I was using (2.4.something).
You should really use the correct kickstart for the machine you are trying to emulate. This is obviously a kickstart ROM for A1000.

If you have the correct Kickstart ROMs, you will not have to manually choose it, as FS-UAE will automatically use it. See http://fs-uae.net/kickstarts for more information.