English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 January 2015, 03:40   #1
amigapd

New Dizzy type game WIP - Made with Reality

Having produced some tutorials for the Reality Thread, I have now got the basic understanding to attempt to make a Dizzy type of game.

The aim is to make a 60+ screen Dizzy type adventure, starring Danger Mouse.

Below is a screenshot of room 1 which contains animated torches.

The game will probably take 12 months to make due to work and other commitments.

Have started this thread as I may need help as I go through the various stages of completing the game.

In the meantime - here is the first screenshot ( the graphics are a mixture of Dizzy tiles, amended Dizzy tiles and own graphics).

Last edited by amigapd; 01 March 2015 at 14:20.
Old 04 January 2015, 03:41   #2
mjnurney

looks great , what is the speed like?

i'll have to take a look at reality - i know nothing about it

mike
Old 04 January 2015, 03:46   #3
amigapd

I haven't tried it on my real Amiga as it is quicker to develop on laptop switching between reality and Deluxe Paint. On WinUAE it runs quite smoothly. Unlike shoot em ups and platform games, there isn't a lot of animation and on screen items which would cause slow down so fingers cross it should still run quite quick on the real amiga.
Old 04 January 2015, 03:50   #4
mjnurney

okay and yes i do the same , D paint & photon paint too , it is going to be a platform game tho?
Old 04 January 2015, 03:56   #5
amigapd

Yes a platform game like dizzy but not like sonic - Reality has a platform skeleton disk and an adventure skeleton disk - I am using the adventure disk as the game will involve picking up items - talking to characters and solving basic problems. There won't be any mario hitting bricks to reveal bonuses or jumping on baddies to kill them.
Old 04 January 2015, 04:06   #6
mjnurney

sounds good ,ill have to have a go with reality
Old 04 January 2015, 13:22   #7
Gzegzolka

Nice work
Old 04 January 2015, 18:45   #8
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Looks good!

I also want to do a game with Reality. So I spent a few hours with it and have come up with that it sucks on everything except for Dizzy games. The platform disk is far too limited and so is the shoot em up disk. You can't even change the scroll speed and simple stuff like that. And the map editor is so annoying to use. You can only select one tile at time? In backbone you could select more than one at time to faster create levels.

Eh, everything is so bad about it. Like you must save your work to floppy all the time? No multitaksing, no HD installation etc etc...

Btw, does anyone know how to quit the game then you test your game from the editor? I did it once somehow, but can't figure out how i did it.

Good luck with your game and thanks again for the tutorials.

Last edited by hipoonios; 04 January 2015 at 19:01.
Old 04 January 2015, 19:09   #9
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Looks good!

I also want to do a game with Reality. So I spent a few hours with it and have come up with that it sucks on everything except for Dizzy games. The platform disk is far too limited and so is the shoot em up disk. You can't even change the scroll speed and simple stuff like that. And the map editor is so annoying to use. You can only select one tile at time? In backbone you could select more than one at time to faster create levels.

Eh, everything is so bad about it. Like you must save your work to floppy all the time? No multitaksing, no HD installation etc etc...
+1
I agree with all, its too hard to use, too complicated, no hd install etc.
Its faster than backbone but its not what you need to make a good game easily. Backbone is easy to use but incomplete and extremely slow , its so bad that every game you make seems lame, whatever you do or how much effort you put in there, even kids can tell its backbone there
Old 04 January 2015, 21:42   #10
amigapd

To exit the test game option - I think you just press the right mouse button - it works for me.

I haven't tried the platform disk or the shoot em up disk but from the finished games I have seen - they don't seem to be to the same standard as those produced using the adventure / dizzy skeleton disk.

In terms of speed - for those not familiar with Reality - Charlie Chimp was the demo game created using the package - youtube link below ..

[ Show youtube player ]

Overall - I think the adventure skeleton disk is quite good - it has a good text message system - a simple method of adding baddies and objects to rooms. I also find the zoom facility really useful for the map editor as it enables me to jump straight to a room for editing.

The number of objects and bobs available means you could create a really big game.

The only thing I am going to need to get my head around is the flag system - this does look complicated but I think should be ok once I've looked at a few routines from charlie chimp - I think it is quite long winded as it enables you to have lots of outcomes dependent on where the player is - what the player does and what objects the player uses.

I've tried backbone once and found it quite confusing and frustrating as it kept asking for the reg key and it kept crashing.

The lack of hard drive install is not a big problem using it on a laptop via emulation as the disk drive is sped up - also I tend to have two or three winuae sessions going - enabling me to multi task. Using it on a real amiga would probably be quite time consuming.

Overall, I have used three game creators on the Amiga - SEUCK - Backbone - Reality - out of those 3 - Reality Adventure disk standards head and shoulders above the rest at the moment -

the only issues I have currently are:

Adding music file - think this might be overcome if I can use AMOS to change mod file to the music format of Reality

Disk swapping quirk - for some reason you cannot use two or more disk drives with reality - therefore you have to have the master disk in and then swap to the skeleton disk manually rather than have both disks in two disk drives.
Old 05 January 2015, 09:10   #11
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Yes, the platform and shoot em up games created with Reality looks very nice too. But if you check the options of what you can do, you will not be very impressed. It's just like SEUCK. Not much options to play with. In Reality you can't even change the scroll direction. So you can't do a vertically scrolling game if you wanted to. This means, all shoot em ups games created with Reality will be the same. They will just have different graphics and sound.

Eh, maybe I should post all this in the Reality thread instead.

Ah, the mouse button to quit the game! So easy..

edit:

For the music. Was not Reality used standard Amos format? .abk renamed to . mus?

I have forgot how you created abk files in Amos. Can't help you about that.

Last edited by hipoonios; 05 January 2015 at 11:15.
Old 05 January 2015, 11:02   #12
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

amigapd: I have uploaded a converter to the Zone. It convert .mod to .abk. (Found it on one of my old disks).

If you check the header of the Reality music files it seems to be Amos music files renamed to .mus. But for some reason the game won't start if i replace the music. Have tried with three different mods.
Old 06 January 2015, 00:18   #13
amigapd

I don't think it is that easy - I ve tried renaming abk amos music files to mus files and they don't load.

Will try a new thread under request section.
Old 09 January 2015, 01:38   #14
s2325
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 January 2015, 09:44   #15
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Danger Mouse adventure should include Penfold-t-mole, I hope not THAT Penfold 8)
Old 09 January 2015, 21:09   #16
amigapd

The game will involve saving Penfold - who has been captured by Greenback the Toad.

Was unsure whether to post the video - as my screen capture software is very poor - but the reason for doing so was just to show the main areas currently under development - castle - fields - woods and mountains.
Old 10 January 2015, 01:08   #17
amigapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Looks good!

And the map editor is so annoying to use. You can only select one tile at time? In backbone you could select more than one at time to faster create levels.
This reply should probably go in the Reality thread - but the cut and paste option on the map editor allows you to select a large area of tiles to paste - click on cut and you then click once for top left and once for bottom right of desire area then you can paste all those tiles.
Old 23 January 2015, 17:25   #18
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Check this before you thinking of releasing your game: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76750
Old 25 January 2015, 11:52   #19
amigapd

Sorry to hear of your experience hipoonios - doing some google searches show they have been quite aggressive with smurf named websites -

To avoid any problems with this planned game - all Danger Mouse references have now been dropped - the game is now going to have a Thunderstruck feel (BBC Miro game) and will be called

Dylan the Spaceman versus the Green Smelly Alien from Mars - main sprite is now drawn and in game - need to change panel and modify existing NPCs. The game will however continue in development.

Old 25 January 2015, 12:08   #20
Hewitson

Fuck them. If you want to make a Danger Mouse game then do it.