English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 10 January 2019, 23:11   #1
Honey Badger

Raspberry Pi made into an Amiga (essentially)

I've read about using a Raspberry Pi to run an emulated Amiga - seems like it ought to work fine, even though the Pi is a relatively anemic computer it ought to be plenty sufficient to emulate an Amiga.

It sounds like a cool way to make what amounts to a 'Mini Amiga'. Maybe a future project...
Old 17 January 2019, 17:56   #2
EugeneNine

unless you try to do something silly like run windows on the pi it works fine. You can choose from any of the pre-built distros like Amibian, Amiberry, retropi, etc.
Old 17 January 2019, 19:35   #3
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneNine View Post
unless you try to do something silly like run windows on the pi it works fine. You can choose from any of the pre-built distros like Amibian, Amiberry, retropi, etc.
I've run windows on RPi and works fine.

Win10
Win3.11

Old 17 January 2019, 20:18   #4
MartinW

Amiberry works really well.
Old 17 January 2019, 20:50   #5
Honey Badger

Amiberry looks intriguing -- a Mini-Amiga would be cool if only for the fun of it
Old 19 January 2019, 02:26   #6
EugeneNine

yep, I have a Pi3 on the back of the Pi official display for a mini Amiga.
Old 19 January 2019, 09:25   #7
leeuwtje

Hi honey badger,

I totally agree. Good idea. Some days ago I posted a topic on the subject, which not all amigians liked very much. I did s short search temp on possibilities and I will include my last post on that subject for you. Maybe it is of use to you.

"....
Still I wouldn't spent 400 euro for one of those.Would you? Check it out, even the seller thinks it's pure madness.
[dead link]

What about about this? saves a lot of good money?:
[dead link]

[dead link]

If I would update an original amiga 500 i would go for a Gotek or another drive emulator.
Even if that means I need to wait longer to boot games or software.
Costs around 40. What is the point in investing 400 EU for frankensteining an amiga 500 if the result has nothing to do with commodore Amiga? If you go that road, better do it good and buy a raspberry pi for a few pennies. ...."

Last edited by leeuwtje; 19 January 2019 at 09:38.
Old 19 January 2019, 09:37   #8
leeuwtje

Seems linking is not easy on eab, they do not work. I'll try again.

https://amigastore.eu/en/595-vampire-500-v2.html

pi solution:
https://amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=552

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-A...tT21:rk:4:pf:0
Old 19 January 2019, 11:06   #9
Pyromania

The Amiga is as easy as PI.
Old 19 January 2019, 14:51   #10
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuwtje View Post
Hi honey badger,

I totally agree. Good idea. Some days ago I posted a topic on the subject, which not all amigians liked very much. I did s short search temp on possibilities and I will include my last post on that subject for you. Maybe it is of use to you.

."
Hey Leeuwtje,

Thanks for those links. And as for such "purists" or whatever, phooey on that. If it works for them, fine ... but for me, I love experimenting with various approaches and each have their pluses & minuses.

I run Amiga apps on multiple platforms for varying reasons ... WinUAE, physical Amiga 600 and even via Morph OS on an old Mac Mini (sort of Amiga(ish) I suppose).

An "Amiga Pi" seems like it would be a fun little project & can see how it might even be a primary Amiga platform depending on circumstances...
Old 20 January 2019, 12:55   #11
leeuwtje

Have fun! But be careful with OS4 and similar. I sold my mac mini last year. I've discovered I'm not an os4 and 'amiga like' guy. "Morphos runs amiga apps unless it bangs the original amiga hardware...." is stated on the developer site. That is correct. I've played around many hours to setup up all kind of emulators on morphos to do what I wanted. Even that was fun, but the community behind it is terrible. If you need to compile most packages yourself, why not running linux on a mac mini? It is free, has all emulators and has a usually friendly non ego developer centralised 'order of the butterfly' community. Amiga OS4 is just.....a very expensive computer designed for a niche culture, where you will discover there is actually no software available that matches the superb computer hardware in it. Unless you develop your own......
Old 20 January 2019, 15:45   #12
Honey Badger

Morph OS, for me, just a way to resurrect an old G4 Mac Mini that had been collecting dust & a fun little project. It looks cool & runs surprisingly well. I kinda dig the Amiga(ish)ness of it & was relatively cheap as already had the hardware. And yup, a PowerPC version of Linux would probably be more practical, with more available software. But, no biggie, have found plenty of apps to keep me occupied...

As for the cult-like snobbery or whatever ... phooey on that,too!
Old 20 January 2019, 16:03   #13
lesta_smsc

I'm looking into this option too. Mainly for having a retro console that is portable and works well.

I need to check out reviews of the different distros but RetroPie is tempting as it has everything nicely preconfigured.
Old 21 January 2019, 01:15   #14
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I need to check out reviews of the different distros but RetroPie is tempting as it has everything nicely preconfigured.
I've been using it for a while and for console and mame emulation it works well. Although it's not good enough for N64 emulation, the PS1 works really well except for glitches on a couple of titles. I use a PS3 controller via bluetooth but there are a lot of options here.

For other computer emulation, Amiga (OCS), Spectrum, Apple II, X68k etc the emulators work well enough if you know what you're doing (you can get some games running) but I think a proper computer with emulators works better in this case.
Old 21 January 2019, 05:17   #15
EugeneNine

This is my PiAmiga:

Old 22 February 2019, 00:49   #16
invent
pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneNine View Post
This is my PiAmiga:

Hi EugeneNine,

Very interesting, Do you have more info on your cool setup, what the components are, any issues, or mods that you have done. Curious about how well the monitor works.
Old 22 February 2019, 02:03   #17
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuwtje View Post
I've seen that someone did something almost the same with an A600 - don't suppose anyone else has seen it and has a link do they?
Old 08 March 2019, 23:20   #18
mattsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
I've seen that someone did something almost the same with an A600 - don't suppose anyone else has seen it and has a link do they?
I'm the author of that 500 Pi on amigalove.com and did a 600 but with a MiSTer FPGA if you're interested:

https://amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=636

This is my daily driver currently.
Old 09 March 2019, 00:19   #19
Dunny

I wonder if there might be some way to run the floppy drive from the Pi also - maybe some sort of interface to the GPIO pins? That would rock as a replacement Amiga and just as valid as a standalone Vampire.
Old 09 March 2019, 16:49   #20
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsoft View Post
I'm the author of that 500 Pi on amigalove.com and did a 600 but with a MiSTer FPGA if you're interested:

https://amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=636

This is my daily driver currently.
Ahh, I reckon that is indeed what I had seen and the fact its a MiSTer board explains why no end of searching couldn't find it

I really like the idea of the FPGA stuff but I'm really after a 100Mhz RTG system so the MiST is probably not it. Life has ended up getting in the way somewhat and everything I was doing has stalled for now.