English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 27 January 2008, 14:58   #1
derSammler

Tony is going crazy...

I know uploading Kickstarts is against the rules and all that, and moderators can do whatever they want (it seems), but this is just ridiculous:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=34017&page=2

I posted the interleaved A3000 Boot ROM to the zone. It didn't took long before my post and the follow-ups by others were deleted, and the file as well. No reason was given. So I asked why and emphasized that the A3000 Boot ROM is not a full-featured Kickstart ROM. It's not possible to boot games with it, and the incomplete libraries don't allow using the Workbench either. It's just a GUI for loading a Superkickstart disk. I also argued that no one ever deleted the cartridge ROMs that Toni uploaded, nor the A1000 Boot ROM (which are all copyrighted ROMs also). Seems like he didn't like that argument, as that post of mine has been deleted as well and the thread is now closed "due to garbage". What garbage? There's nothing left after his deleting-craziness. WTF?

I think Toni should calm down a bit and stop acting like a dictator; it's not the first time I saw him acting this way. I know it's a bit hilarious that I'm saying that, as I went through that phase as well. But I learned from my mistakes, and I hope Toni will do as well. You can't just silently delete everything you don't like and then lock the topic to prevent people from telling their opinion or asking why something has been removed. Funny enough that Toni locked a thread that was still going just because he didn't like seeing his decision criticised.

Last edited by derSammler; 29 January 2008 at 11:09.
Old 27 January 2008, 15:37   #2
NLS
Ancient User

"why don't we all get along"

I think we should ALL relax (you and Toni the same). If Toni feels you violated rules, then he did right (although I'd say some PM explanation should be made - if he didn't).

I am not sure (yet if) I like what he did (yes I am known not to hold my tongue even if it hurts me - although in a good forum it shouldn't hurt me, so THAT is what I expect), but I don't like your reaction either. You should take this to PM with Toni and other mods not make this thread here.
Old 27 January 2008, 15:57   #3
derSammler

Quote:
If Toni feels you violated rules
That's not the point. The rules don't say that uploading Boot ROMs is not allowed, and there were similar ROMs uploaded in the past which weren't deleted. What bugs me is the silent deletion and suppressing any way to talk about that matter. Asking him why uploading cartridge ROMs and the A1000 Boot ROM is not against the rules but the A3000 Boot ROM supposedly is, is a valid question (and something only RCK can decide anyway). Ignoring and even deleting that question and locking the topic is simply the worst reaction a mod can show. That's neither nice nor does it make any sense. How can the next person know that it's not allowed, and why it's not allowed?

Quote:
You should take this to PM with Toni and other mods not make this thread here.
That wouldn't work. I know because it's not the first time. I think there's nothing wrong talking about that in public.
Old 27 January 2008, 16:02   #4
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Well, in the spirit of following the spirit of the rules and not just their letter, and even more in the spirit of diplomacy, wouldn't it be much easier (and have been much easier) to just let this go and instead provide a tool/script to do the interleaving on existing split ROMs instead?
Old 27 January 2008, 16:05   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Workbench disks, Kickstart ROMs & software or music files still supported/for sale
It is illegal to distribute kickstart ROMs or Workbench disks (even if modified) as they are still copyrighted.

So please:

Do not: Post a link to where to download the ROMs/disks from
Do not: Attach the ROM in a post
Do not: Upload them to the zone
Do not: Post the source code
Note the: "still supported/for sale"
Old 27 January 2008, 16:13   #6
derSammler

Are you talking about Cloanto? It comes with the A1000 Boot ROM, but not with the A3000 Boot ROM (at least not last time I checked). So that actually adds to my argumentation.

Oh, and as for saying it's against the rules because it contains some copyrighted, still supported/for sale parts, then every second game using AmigaDOS formatted disks must be deleted from the zone, as those often come with a fully working Workbench, which would fall under "Workbench disks (even if modified)".
Old 27 January 2008, 16:17   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

So you mean it was "legal" to spread A1000 ROMs before it was available from Cloanto? Right.

Any KS ROM spreading talk in my forum will be deleted. Without replies. If you don't like it, don't post there. I don't care what happens in other forums.
Old 27 January 2008, 16:19   #8
NLS
Ancient User

As I told you, I am still not sure if Toni was right, so I am not taking his (or any) place.

But since the whole Amiga issue is on the verge of what is legal and what is (stupidly I agree) not, I suggest we don't push it further for the shake of the community. eLowar made a nice suggestion.
Old 27 January 2008, 16:23   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Note that I have contacts with Cloanto which puts me in very difficult position with KS ROM talk.

I'd like to have public KS ROMs like every else but it is simply impossible and illegal currently. (and thats not Cloanto's fault. It is that other company I don't want to name)
Old 27 January 2008, 16:25   #10
derSammler

Quote:
So you mean it was "legal" to spread A1000 ROMs before it was available from Cloanto?
NO! I'm saying that the A3000 Boot ROM is NOT sold/supported by Cloanto - a fact that you seem to ignore intentionally.

Quote:
Any ROM spreading talk in my forum will be deleted. Without replies.
I'll remind you next time when you upload an updated cartridge ROMs archive to the zone... Anyway, seeing you saying "my forum" and "If you don't like it, don't post there", your attitude is clear. Good luck with that, I know how it will end. A mod can close this if needed, I've said all I wanted to say.

Last edited by derSammler; 29 January 2008 at 11:15.
Old 27 January 2008, 16:38   #11
NLS
Ancient User

CALM DOWN

pcGTW_Webmaster you never replied my PM... should I be furious too?
Old 27 January 2008, 16:48   #12
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Note that I have contacts with Cloanto which puts me in very difficult position with KS ROM talk.

I'd like to have public KS ROMs like every else but it is simply impossible and illegal currently. (and thats not Cloanto's fault. It is that other company I don't want to name)
That´s it! And there is no need for a rakish discussion.

So, let´s enjoy this nice sunday here at EAB.
Old 27 January 2008, 16:55   #13
NLS
Ancient User

I think a nice PM would be a much better move (along with the moderation) if you allow the suggestion. In fact I don't think it would be bad even now.
Old 27 January 2008, 18:21   #14
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
I posted the interleaved A3000 Boot ROM
Did anyone request this file?.

Surely the request would be denied if the Rom was/is illegal??
Old 27 January 2008, 19:48   #15
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
Well, in the spirit of following the spirit of the rules and not just their letter, and even more in the spirit of diplomacy, wouldn't it be much easier (and have been much easier) to just let this go and instead provide a tool/script to do the interleaving on existing split ROMs instead?
Good point, the following code aint pretty but it does the job...
Code:
#include "stdio.h"

int main()
{
  FILE *infile1;
  FILE *infile2;
  FILE *outfile;
  char c1,c2,c3,c4;
  int count;

infile1 = fopen("rom0.rom", "r");
  infile2 = fopen("rom1.rom", "r");
  outfile = fopen("combined.rom", "a");
  count = 0;

do
  {
    c2 = fgetc(infile1);
    c1 = fgetc(infile1);
    c4 = fgetc(infile2);
    c3 = fgetc(infile2);
    fputc(c1,outfile);
    fputc(c2,outfile);
    fputc(c3,outfile);
    fputc(c4,outfile);
    count+=1;
  } while (count < 131072);

fclose(infile1);
  fclose(infile2);
  fclose(outfile);
  return(0);
}
As the above implies, rename your split roms as rom0.rom and rom1.rom and run the program. Apologies for the cygwin bloat but my lame code produced bad output when compiled with the online version of DJGPP.

Last edited by OddbOd; 28 January 2008 at 18:11.
Old 27 January 2008, 20:41   #16
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Here's a native Win32 version (slightly smaller ), without warranty, as I don't actually have the ROMs to try.

This is just a native MinGW32 build of OddbOd's code.

Edit: Removed attachment, as it doesn't work.

Last edited by eLowar; 27 January 2008 at 23:19. Reason: Removing attachment.
Old 27 January 2008, 20:51   #17
NLS
Ancient User

OddbOd's version worked fine.

---

To the companies trying to make money from OUR memories by restraining access to them: F*CK OFF, let the Net do what it does best. We do not actually need you, so don't hide behind veils as "we keep the feeling alive".

People like Toni and even eLowar keep the feeling alive. EAB does it.

---

Erm... sorry for messing an already messed up thread.
Old 27 January 2008, 20:52   #18
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
People like Toni and even eLowar keep the feeling alive. EAB does it.
Erm, how am I to interpret "and even eLowar"?

Edit: And I actually just wanted "my" version verified so he could maybe remove the big version with cygwin1.dll included.
Old 27 January 2008, 20:57   #19
NLS
Ancient User

1) I'll try your version and report back.

2) I think you have a great contribution to the Amiga community but let's face it: WinUAE is the One Ring to Rule Them All. (this is why I stand Toni's outbursts after all - I am normally a very big mouth and very sensitive to some things - even face to face )...
Old 27 January 2008, 21:04   #20
NLS
Ancient User

someone should edit the thread topic?

anyway no your version doesn't work - the file produced is 12 bytes longer than it should