English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 June 2009, 19:22   #1
mattbarton.exe

Ultima VII: The Black Gate (Youtube retrospective)

Hi, guys, I wanted to let you know I've posted the 17th episode of "Matt Chat" on YouTube:

[ Show youtube player ]

Some folks have been asking me to cover Ultima VII: The Black Gate, so I gave it my best shot. I hope that you like it.

It was hard getting it made because I kept wanting to bake bread and milk cows. Don't ask.
Old 20 June 2009, 19:48   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Oh how I loved that game Really a masterpiece and when I played it for the first time I almost stopped because there was so much to explore that it was quite a bit frustrating that you knew that it would take literally months to see it all Only other game that had that feeling was Morrowind.
Again a great review Matt and I really enjoyed seeing the table-top RPG photo (*sigh* good times)
Old 20 June 2009, 19:57   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Thanks Matt, another cool game report

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
[...] there was so much to explore that it was quite a bit frustrating that you knew that it would take literally months to see it all [...]
Exactly why I failed to even start playing it... it's complexity scared me!
Oh well, it was already too late when I got me a PC (December of 1998), but I remember enjoying to read EVERY single article (and solutions) about the game.

I never liked the view used in the game though, looks very strange for me with that isometric / top perspective.
Old 20 June 2009, 20:44   #4
Jakodemus

One of the greatest games of our time. They don't make games like that anymore. In my mind the best thing about Ultima VII is that it has a huge amount of conversation and most of it is really interesting. Compare that to a Oblivion or Fallout 3 were NPC only says a few senteces at best. Personally I like Ultima VI even more. Mainly because of its conversation system. You just don't click the right word. You have to write it yourself.
Old 20 June 2009, 20:50   #5
keropi

very nice!!!! thanks for pointing those videos!
UltimaVII is a milestone, it even uses it's own memory system, an os-like game if you like...

ps. I am a big ultima fan, I have all pc versions boxed complete in Kyon standards
Richard Garriot is VERY talented, and gave use something even more precious: Ultima Underlworld .
And you should try to get some roland devices for the best experience (an MT32 or better yet a CM32L , CM64 or LAPC-I)

Last edited by keropi; 20 June 2009 at 20:57.
Old 20 June 2009, 20:58   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi View Post
I have all pc versions boxed complete in Kyon standards
OMG, another EAB copyrighted meme!
Old 20 June 2009, 21:23   #7
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
very nice!!!! thanks for pointing those videos!
UltimaVII is a milestone, it even uses it's own memory system, an os-like game if you like...

ps. I am a big ultima fan, I have all pc versions boxed complete in Kyon standards
Richard Garriot is VERY talented, and gave use something even more precious: Ultima Underlworld .
And you should try to get some roland devices for the best experience (an MT32 or better yet a CM32L , CM64 or LAPC-I)
Agree on UU.

You deserve something special for that "Kyon standards" term

Another great video Matt.
Old 20 June 2009, 21:25   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Yeah, I hope the music doesn't sound like on an Atari
/me wonders if DOSBOX with Timidity would work
Old 20 June 2009, 21:34   #9
Sensi
Unregistered User

You DosBox Shoonay, buy some old 486 or PI or PII, they are cheap and look so ugly

Matt, is on your video list some text adventure game? Zork series or some Level 9 games?
Old 20 June 2009, 21:40   #10
keropi

I can tell you from personal experience that UU is like another game if you have Roland LA synthesis hardware...

yes, I have some kind of Roland fetish...
Old 20 June 2009, 21:48   #11
mattbarton.exe

Ultima Underworld is a brilliant game. I played it back when I was researching my CRPG book. I have DosBox; I'll have to look into the audio options. I know there are several. Doom tends to get all the publicity.

I touched on text adventures a bit in [ Show youtube player ], but yeah, I've been thinking more about it. I think to really do it right, I would need the actual Infocom packaging and all, so I could show all the cool feelies and stuff that came with the games.

Re: Shoonay--I think you're not the only one. It takes quite awhile before you really feel comfortable playing the game, despite the efforts to streamline the interface. It's a fascinating question, really--you might want people to be able to do all sorts of different things, but how can you enable them to do it without making the interface too complicated? This game made huge strides, but of course they couldn't have anticipated all of the nice things in modern interfaces that make games easier to control. Some of the contemporary magazine reviews I read were even skeptical of the mouse--not many gamers had mice, so that could have impacted sales.

Thanks for the all the nice comments. What a great forum community you guys have here!

Last edited by mattbarton.exe; 20 June 2009 at 21:54.
Old 21 June 2009, 12:48   #12
cd32lover

no amiga version?
Old 21 June 2009, 12:52   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd32lover View Post
no amiga version?
http://hol.abime.net/230
Old 21 June 2009, 14:32   #14
skateblind
Village Idiot

Another great video! I played this a lot at boarding school when I was pretty young, I don't remember being able to make bread or milk cows, but I think I mostly just walked round fighting things. :P
Old 21 June 2009, 19:53   #15
Zandig

Excellent video Matt!

I've been re-playing this one on and off with Exult for a while:
http://exult.sourceforge.net/index.php

A great game!