English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 31 October 2005, 01:57   #21
DamienD
Banned

Cool game, pretty hard though.

I wonder if anybody knows of any cheats? I took a quick look on HOL and LEMON but nothing (not really surprising since it has just been released).
Old 31 October 2005, 04:01   #22
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I couldn't found any built in cheats - a level skip in particular would have been great but the code is a bit of a mess to follow. No obvious "change this byte and level is complete" stuff

The reason the WHDLoad version hasn't been released yet is the fact it has not passed my quality control standards! I usually won't release something unless I'm happy the whole thing works, fully snoopable etc. I will probably bite the bullet and release the current version so at least real Amiga users can play it, but the fact I can't verify the whole thing (including testing the ending if it has one) annoys me.

I was under the impression the site was going to go live when the WHDLoad install was ready, so I was as surprised as everyone to see it live this morning. I'll try and upload the current version to the WHDLoad site tonight anyway, marked as v0.1 or something... Just be aware it will not be stamped with the Codetapper seal of quality!

Last edited by Codetapper; 31 October 2005 at 04:07.
Old 31 October 2005, 06:49   #23
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
I was under the impression the site was going to go live when the WHDLoad install was ready, so I was as surprised as everyone to see it live this morning.
Old 31 October 2005, 09:13   #24
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Nnice site simple and to the point!! I like!
Old 31 October 2005, 13:27   #25
Tim Janssen

Thumbs up The impossible has happened...

...Oh-my-god I still cannot cope it: Son Shu Si finally has been found.
I am very ecstatic about this. It is a memorable day for the Amiga community and a very good start for AGTW. Many, many thanks for tracking down the game and restore it.

I checked the Son Shu Si screenshots at HOL and they look fantastic Japanese-like. At last after more than 150 months since I first read the review of the game, I will be able to play it. Un-be-liev-able.
The number one on my all-time Amiga-most-wanted-games wishlist is fulfilled.
Old 31 October 2005, 16:23   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You think we'll find any more lost Amiga games? I managed to find Ambermoon (English) in 1998, perhaps the best "lost n found" Amiga game, but hey I am bias
Old 31 October 2005, 18:54   #27
NOB
Zone Friend

Thumbs up Wow

great work.That is really unbelievable.
Old 31 October 2005, 21:13   #28
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Just made a Whdload install on the game with Amiga Forever (one of my first encounters with an Amiga emulator) and transfered the game to my A4000D '060.
The game runs but has alot of corrupt graphics, going to try it on my other Amiga's to see if it has to do with that I tested it on a 68060 based Amiga.
Thanks to Codetapper for the Whdload install!
I can upload the Whdload installed game to the Zone if needed.
Old 31 October 2005, 22:18   #29
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

On a WinUAE emulated Amiga are also graphic corruptions. But with the settings "immediate Blitter" and "A500 Speed" it works fine.
Old 31 October 2005, 22:28   #30
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Guess the Whdload install isn't adapted for high spec Amiga's yet
Could try the game on my A500+ if I knew hope to convert IPF's to ADF files
Don't want to use UAE here, it's kind of against my religion as I've grown up with an Amiga 500 and before that a VIC64
Old 31 October 2005, 22:55   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

i think the most of us grown up with the C-64 and Amiga Machines, but i don't want all these machines in my room (i still have a old C-64) connected to my TV or monitor. It's very comfortable to use an emulator instead. But i love the real machines too.
Old 01 November 2005, 03:00   #32
Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ
Guess the Whdload install isn't adapted for high spec Amiga's yet
Could try the game on my A500+ if I knew hope to convert IPF's to ADF files
Don't want to use UAE here, it's kind of against my religion as I've grown up with an Amiga 500 and before that a VIC64
Codetapper has set high standards for his installs and did indicate that the install was not fully tested and not yet fit for release in his opinion. It was only released it due to demand from EAB users, and has been flagged it as a beta release. I kind of agree with him there. Nothing worse than buggy installs to damage a good product's reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
The reason the WHDLoad version hasn't been released yet is the fact it has not passed my quality control standards! I usually won't release something unless I'm happy the whole thing works, fully snoopable etc. I will probably bite the bullet and release the current version so at least real Amiga users can play it, but the fact I can't verify the whole thing (including testing the ending if it has one) annoys me.
Old 30 January 2006, 16:23   #33
Tim Janssen

Will Son Shu Si ever be converted to adf? I want to get my hands on it and don't want to fiddle with WHD-load and SPS files.
Old 01 February 2006, 07:51   #34
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Agree, would be great, as you could just transfer it to a real disk on your real miggy and play.
Codetapper, are you reading our prayers?
Old 01 February 2006, 07:55   #35
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Tim - you should update http://www.classicgaming.com/amigareviews/sonshusi.htm with Amiga screens and remove the comment at the end.
Old 01 February 2006, 21:40   #36
Tim Janssen

Well, basically, I have updated that page already back in November 2005. The reason why it is not uploaded is that my site is going to be moved to a new address. I have some trouble with my host, Gamespy, who demand to update my 1900 html-files with new banner-code before moving it.
It is all a bit off-putting.

Anyway, I have updated the file. Please note the working ad-banner, leeched screenshot and external link.

Now, can anyone upload an ADF?
Old 19 April 2006, 15:05   #37
Tim Janssen

At last I've played the ipf-image of Son Shu Si. The game looks and sounds nice but is bloody hard to play. Good.
Old 19 April 2006, 15:10   #38
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I found that it was hard at first but you need to find all the cash on each level. If you don't then you get ahead of yourself with an underpowered weapon. Here's a bit in my review on the aGTW site:

Quote:
Most players will be struck by how difficult it is to play. However, much depends on how the game is approached. If the player rushes through each level then the default weapon quickly proves to be underpowered. Each level should be thoroughly explored to discover hidden rooms (shooting likely locations will reveal the doors) and all the gold pieces collected. Buy weapon upgrades at the shops and remember that two of the bosses require special weapons to defeat. The ice boss can only be defeated by the Heart of the Dragon weapon and the final boss by the Trident of Neptune. As these weapons cost plenty the only way to progress is to collect lots of coins.
Old 19 April 2006, 17:04   #39
Tim Janssen

A game that punishes you if you rush through it - I always suspected that Son Shu Shi was something special. Great attitude and probably never seen before in an Amiga platform game.
Old 19 April 2006, 17:08   #40
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Yes, I enjoyed the game much more once I got into it and spent more time on each level. There are also a variety of rooms to find, including a Breakout section, shop, secret rooms etc.