English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 December 2010, 14:14   #21
NovaCoder

Can someone try this on a 50Mhz 030 please, I'd love to know if DOTT, Sam & Max or Full Throttle is actually playable with this specification or not.

Thanx

Last edited by NovaCoder; 16 December 2010 at 14:21.
Old 16 December 2010, 20:29   #22
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Can someone try this on a 50Mhz 030 please, I'd love to know if DOTT, Sam & Max or Full Throttle is actually playable with this specification or not.

Thanx
Not much luck in my case. DOTT worked under ScummVM 030 in my WinUAE setup (slow, but playable) but I couldn´t even make It start in my real A1200 with Blizzard 1230 MKIV and 64 MB fast RAM. ScummVM launcher worked, slow as hell and didn't display properly, but worked. It recognised my Lucas games, but all of them would crash with a grey screen right after start.

I use just 8 MB fast RAM in WinUAE, so memory doesn´t seem to be the issue. Double checked AHI, but everything from latest version is there.

I'll keep trying!

--
Old 16 December 2010, 20:51   #23
Omolungo

Same thing for me
Old 16 December 2010, 21:19   #24
rockersuke

Just made some sort of progress. Last report I was booting from 3.1. Booting from my 3.9 partition I've been able to start Zak McKraken, so it seems there is some 3.9 feature ScummVM AGA 030 likes! Couldn't get it to work at the right resolution: whatever I do I'm missing some third of the image at the bottom of the screen both in the game and the launcher, so I almost can't even reach some basic launcher options. No sound at all. ^_^'

--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e5349.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	27361   Click image for larger version

Name:	e5348.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	27362  
Old 17 December 2010, 00:44   #25
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockersuke View Post
Just made some sort of progress. Last report I was booting from 3.1. Booting from my 3.9 partition I've been able to start Zak McKraken, so it seems there is some 3.9 feature ScummVM AGA 030 likes! Couldn't get it to work at the right resolution: whatever I do I'm missing some third of the image at the bottom of the screen both in the game and the launcher, so I almost can't even reach some basic launcher options. No sound at all. ^_^'

--
Hiya,

Thanks for giving it a wirl.

I knew that performance would be an issue on an 030, esp. the GUI which is doing a realtime 16 bit to 8 bit conversion. Unfortunatly I don't have a real Amiga to develop on at the momement.....when I build myself a new 030 AGA machine I'll have a go at making it a bit quicker on real HW (I've already got a few ideas).

Thanks for testing the OS version required, I'd hoped we'd get away with 3.1 but it looks like 3.9 is the minimum (3.5 might work, could someone try it for me?).

Ok, let's try and fix up your issues.

First off graphics. This application doesn't 'bang the hw', it's actually a proper multi-tasking friendly WB application and therefore uses WB screen modes which you haven't got setup correctly. Can you display wb using the 'MultiScan' + 'VGA only' monitor drivers on your display? Move both of these from storage/monitors and stick them in devs/monitors, after a reboot go to your display settings and try MultiScan 640x480 in 256 colors (test first before saving your changes!). After you choose MultiScan as your monitor driver you'll probably notice that your WB isn't correctly centered on your display, this is because you need to go into your Overscan prefs and fine tune it (graphics/text), make sure your WB screen is fully displayed and then run ScummVM AGA again. This time ScummVM should also be centered and fully visible

Next up sound. It could be that the known AHI bug is preventing any sound from being displayed, try the Simon the Sorcerer 1 (DOS demo) as I know that plays both music and SFX. Other demos to try can be found here ->demos.

What 'music unit' have you selected under your AHI prefs? Try the base Paula 8 bit stereo device to start with (without the +).

To get more speed (after you've got the screen fully displayed), go to the audio options and try disabling the music, set the audio rate down to 11Hz and then quit the ScummVM GUI, restart and try again.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 17 December 2010 at 01:29.
Old 17 December 2010, 02:22   #26
rockersuke

Much better now!

Image fully centered and displayed and works in 3.1 too! Sadly, this mode doesn't get along with my monitor, a cheap lcd tv with VGA input wihich works nicely with indivision at ordinary amiga resolutions. Colours get messy, but that's my monitor's fault (it also behaves so oddly with other machines)

Sound is there too, but for reasons beyond my knowledge best result comes setting music unit to "Unit 0: HIFI 16 bits". Paula works, but totally jerky. At 11 Hz and no music oldies like Zak M are joyfully playable. DOTT goes nice, and Sam & Max... eer, well, It's playable, but as exciting as watching a movie in slow-motion (which was to be expected, anyway)! ^_^'

Great job! Thanks a lot for this Christmas present!

--
Old 17 December 2010, 02:30   #27
NovaCoder

What what, it works in 3.1 now? I thought you said it didn't work in 3.1???

Glad you got the sucker working and I haven't wasted a year of my life

Do you have a real sound card then? I guess you must do if you've got a HI-FI 16 bits device? If so then you should select this in your AHI prefs and then have a play with the tooltypes. Try increasing the channel number to 4 or maybe 16 to see if that helps and you could also try changing the callback rate up to 80 (the default tooltypes settings are meant for Paula).

If you normally use PAL, you could also try setting PAL as your WB mode (eg 320x240) then remove both 'multiscan' and 'vga only' from devs/monitors (put them back in storage). After adjusting the Overscan prefs to get in centered with PAL, try running ScummVM (which should select PAL 320x200 mode if it can't find the multiscan monitor driver).

You don't actually have to set your WB mode to PAL to get ScummVM AGA to use PAL BTW, the overscan pref changes are still saved (I think).

Last edited by NovaCoder; 17 December 2010 at 06:55.
Old 17 December 2010, 09:19   #28
Frog

It's possible to disable the new GUI and use the old one so that it'd be faster on 030.
Old 17 December 2010, 15:52   #29
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Yes delete the Scummmodern GUI from the ScummVM folder. The app will then default to the in built (faster) GUI.
Old 17 December 2010, 18:15   #30
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
for an 030 Amiga, you might see a performance increase if using Ahi v4 instead of latest. If using the ++ ahi modes you only need 1 channel. The setting should probably be called ahi instancies rather then channels.
Old 19 December 2010, 13:20   #31
Exit

@novacoder, i have alot of games to use with scummvm but do they all work? or does it need to be amiga (tweaked) versions?
Old 19 December 2010, 23:28   #32
NovaCoder

Hiya,

PC versions are the best ones to use as a lot of the original Amiga conversions weren't that great. Not all game packs are currently support, see the readme for more details.

This is how you should setup AHI for Paula (as a starting point).

Last edited by TCD; 19 December 2010 at 23:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 20 December 2010, 14:47   #33
xc8
no c= no fun

Can I 'force' the application to use a specific screen mode?
When it starts I only see a 'white' (gray) screen and the mouse pointer.
I only can quit from there using the ESC key. Probably its not compatible with my GFX card (CV64 + Indivision AGA 4000)

thx

chris
Old 20 December 2010, 20:05   #34
amigoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc8 View Post
Can I 'force' the application to use a specific screen mode?
When it starts I only see a 'white' (gray) screen and the mouse pointer.
I have the same problem on 060+AGA only system. GUI shows, when I start game, screen goes white gray and then nothing more happens.
Old 20 December 2010, 20:16   #35
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
It is great to see so many trying this out, but seriously guys you NEED to post some info...

Amiga Spec?
OS used?
AHI version?
ScummVM tooltypes at default?
ScummVM Stack size?
Which version of ScummVM (030/040/060/RTG)?
Did you try the other versions?
WB hacks/Patches installed?
What is in your Devs/monitors drawer?

And anything else of use
Old 20 December 2010, 23:12   #36
xc8
no c= no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
It is great to see so many trying this out, but seriously guys you NEED to post some info...
Amiga Spec? A4000/CS060
OS used? 3.9
AHI version? 6.0
ScummVM tooltypes at default? its empty
ScummVM Stack size? 20400
Which version of ScummVM (030/040/060/RTG)? 060
Did you try the other versions? no
WB hacks/Patches installed? BBags 1/2/3/4beta
What is in your Devs/monitors drawer? PAL and CVISION64

thx

Chris
Old 20 December 2010, 23:24   #37
NovaCoder

Quote:
Amiga Spec? A4000/CS060
OS used? 3.9
AHI version? 6.0
ScummVM Stack size? 20400
Which version of ScummVM (030/040/060/RTG)? 060
Did you try the other versions? no
WB hacks/Patches installed? BBags 1/2/3/4beta

thx

Chris
Hiya,

Yep a lot of people are trying this now which is great

Quite a few people seem to be having this 'white/grey screen of death' issue

As DDNI mentioned above, everyone has a different setup so it's really hard to code something that works on everyones computer

I coded (and tested) on a clean OS 3.9 install with only BB1 & BB2 installed.

Quote:
That's not right, should be populated by default

Try setting them with this (shouldn't be causing the issue by anyway):

MAX_FPS=15
AUDIO_CALLBACK_RATE=50
NUM_AUDIO_CHANNELS=1

Quote:
You should also try this which seem to help rockersuke above:

Quote:
Can you display wb using the 'MultiScan' + 'VGA only' monitor drivers on your display? Move both of these from storage/monitors and stick them in devs/monitors, after a reboot go to your display settings and try MultiScan 640x480 in 256 colors (test first before saving your changes!). After you choose MultiScan as your monitor driver you'll probably notice that your WB isn't correctly centered on your display, this is because you need to go into your Overscan prefs and fine tune it (graphics/text), make sure your WB screen is fully displayed and then run ScummVM AGA again. This time ScummVM should also be centered and fully visible.
Come to think of it, if you've got a CVISION64, should you be running the RTG version of ScummVM?

It's probably a patch that's upsetting things. I know that Minuous had a similar issue when he had BB4 installed. BB4 is still very much in BETA so that could be it, has anyone with BB3 and/or BB4 installed managed to run ScummVM AGA?

Last edited by NovaCoder; 21 December 2010 at 00:07.
Old 21 December 2010, 01:28   #38
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Im not certain, but maybe not havng an fpu is contributing to the frozen grey screen. Just messing around withthe 030 port and restricting winuae to 030 alike as i can, I can see that in snoopdos when there is no fpu enabeled scummvm fails to open MathIEEE.resource and thus the grey screen when trying to run game.

With fpu enabled no such error in snoopdos and the game runs. (Testing fate of atlantis)
Old 21 December 2010, 02:39   #39
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
Im not certain, but maybe not havng an fpu is contributing to the frozen grey screen. Just messing around withthe 030 port and restricting winuae to 030 alike as i can, I can see that in snoopdos when there is no fpu enabeled scummvm fails to open MathIEEE.resource and thus the grey screen when trying to run game.

With fpu enabled no such error in snoopdos and the game runs. (Testing fate of atlantis)
Hey, give the man a cigar...I think you might be right. I just tried it in WinUAE and the 030 version won't even run for me without an FPU

So, is it just 030 owners that are having this issue? Most if not all 040 and 060 owner's would have an FPU.

Should be a 10 min fix for me to resolve if that is the problem.
Old 23 December 2010, 06:16   #40
NovaCoder

Updated version uploaded to the Zone......ready for testing

Last edited by NovaCoder; 23 December 2010 at 06:34.