English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 March 2009, 14:29   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
EDIT: I'm sure you know this right? [ Show youtube player ]
Yup, I know it I think IC posted it some time ago.
Indeed two awesome demos with fine music too
Old 13 March 2009, 14:31   #22
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
At the time i thought about that really, Shoonay. It could be really a music video on MTV.
Erm, forgot to mention... That was in 2005.
Seriously, he was pretty impressed, not knowing I've got an Amiga connected to the TV.
Old 13 March 2009, 15:12   #23
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
At the time i thought about that really, Shoonay. It could be really a music video on MTV.
Actually, SOTA was shown on MTV (without permission). Anyway, one of the most overrated demos ever IMHO. My favourite quotes regarding SOTA come from Coca/Balance:

Quote:
YOU CAN'T PRECALC ANYTHING IN 40K I GUESS THAT'S WHY WE NEVER SEE 40K INTROS FROM LONE STARR...
Quote:
By the way, did you notice the 'State of
the art'-animation with Beavis & Butthead?
That was no more than 23 lines of code!!!
So please THINK the next time you vote for
State of the art!
Pretty much sums up what I think about SOTA.
Old 13 March 2009, 15:15   #24
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Of course all the Amiga's have gone beyond their "initial" limits hardware wise with all the ever evolving hack jobs available

Im sure there are still a few more improvements that can be made before any amiga has been expanded to its full capacity (basically until it's impossible to do anything else with it).

The only bad thing is the fact that amiga's will never increase in numbers, which means one day there will not be much left to work with
But most or all of us here will do anything to keep the remaining miggy's alive and kicking (or kickstarting ) ready for more mods and improvements etc...
Old 13 March 2009, 15:20   #25
Shoonay
Global Caturator

@Stingy: I don't understand a word out of that what you've quoted, but from my humble-simple-Amiga-user point of view... it rocks

I dare you to show me any other Amiga/PC/whatever-hardware demo that's isn't a slideshow with stupid interruption messages on how great the routines are, with seconds of the delays so the next part would load... no thanks...

As it comes to music-video-a-likes SOTA and 9F rocks!
Old 13 March 2009, 15:23   #26
seuden
uber cool demi god

I know it sounds like the most achievable capability but when I heard my A500 speak what I had typed, I was AMAZED. Hehe.
Old 13 March 2009, 15:30   #27
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
@Stingy: I don't understand a word out of that what you've quoted, but from my humble-simple-Amiga-user point of view... it rocks
It basically means that the demo doesn't feature any code. I agree that the demo was different but it's still overrated in my book. I can understand why people like it though!
Old 13 March 2009, 15:34   #28
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
thanks TCD for that, you know us froggies have limited brain power hehehehehhe
it be State of the Art demo I`d thinkin of way back in 92 wow

I completely get what you are saying stingray but at the time there was nothing quite like it

so any examples of Sliced HAM that any1 can point me 2 ?
Old 13 March 2009, 15:52   #29
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
Erm, forgot to mention... That was in 2005.
Seriously, he was pretty impressed, not knowing I've got an Amiga connected to the TV.
Even more impressive. My thought was when it was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
It basically means that the demo doesn't feature any code. I agree that the demo was different but it's still overrated in my book. I can understand why people like it though!
Really didn't knew that. No code? How's that come StingRay? Please can you explain how they got those effects? What they got there, pre-rendered-something?
Old 13 March 2009, 16:08   #30
Egg Shen

Emulate a DX7 (6-op FM synthesis). Okay it's only on 4 channels due to Paula limitations, but it just works great ! You have tons of working patch to play with and you can even create new ones. If someone could make a FM tracker (softsynth) one day I would be so happy, even a 2 operators one like the FM chip in the MSX's FMpac (with maybe 8 channels) ! Plz someone !

@cosmicfrog : Yes this is another thing that blew me away, the PCHG format !
Actually I almost spent the last 2 years testing this mode and I have converted many pictures in PCHG (EHB and HAM), in all modes from Lowres, Lowres Interlaced, to Hires and Hires Interlaced. I have been downloading all type of images from photos to illustrations and game screenshots (I made a series of Half Life 2 ie). It's simply amazing !

I can't code, but if someone can help me, maybe we can try to make a slideshow. Among the most beautiful pics are those from Frank Frazetta, they could make a nice slideshow !

Old 13 March 2009, 16:39   #31
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
It basically means that the demo doesn't feature any code.
Quote:
No code? How's that come StingRay? Please can you explain how they got those effects? What they got there, pre-rendered-something?
seconded.

PS: Reminds me about some pre-rendered Phong animations shown in some polish AMOS demo, and described as realtime...
Old 13 March 2009, 16:54   #32
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
I know it sounds like the most achievable capability but when I heard my A500 speak what I had typed, I was AMAZED. Hehe.
i remember that. where abouts is that in workbench again? i forgot
Old 13 March 2009, 16:58   #33
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's on the Extras disk, in the folder 'BasicDemos'. Was really cool to impress some ST or Dos guys with it
Old 13 March 2009, 17:54   #34
Skope
Protracker

Getting its ass handed to it by PC compatibles in the market...
Old 13 March 2009, 19:12   #35
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Really didn't knew that. No code? How's that come StingRay? Please can you explain how they got those effects? What they got there, pre-rendered-something?
To put it short, SOTA is nothing more than an anim player. There's hardly any realtime stuff in the whole demo.
Old 13 March 2009, 19:30   #36
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
It's on the Extras disk, in the folder 'BasicDemos'. Was really cool to impress some ST or Dos guys with it
thanks TCD.

Another thing i never knew the amiga was cabable of was pron. Lots of adult games around that i didnt know existed in the day
Old 13 March 2009, 20:43   #37
AmigaFriend

Quote:
To put it short, SOTA is nothing more than an anim player. There's hardly any realtime stuff in the whole demo.

Nice to know. Thanks Stingray. So therefore I must agree totally with you. State Of The Art IS really the most overrated demo ever.
Old 13 March 2009, 22:52   #38
paranoid
Phone Zen

I know the point is hacks and stuff that push the hardware or overcome limitations, etc.. But the thread also has taken a turn of, I can't believe I did that on an Amiga (or something like that).

I used to play Nettrek, via SLIP, on an Amiga 500. I was amazed that it worked, having both the TCP/IP stack running and having Nettrek play perfectly fine without much lag. It was also in color, had bitmaps, a few other graphical bits, big display, sound -- and you could have it speak chat messages. (This was a game that relied HEAVILY on communication, and was fast-paced.. Hearing your teammates was a huge boon.)

I had first played it at college on a Unix mainframe with a T1... and playing it on the Amiga, even with just a modem, blew it away.

(Having said all that, it took AGES to get it to work at first.. Working on the startup-sequence, settings, etc etc, but once I got it going, it was solid.)
Old 13 March 2009, 23:10   #39
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
SO MANY those small people in Settlers... and still they all under control. I dont understant how this was possible back then.