Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 April 2015, 00:13   #101
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
What about this? ... it says can be used for Amiga:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3103964807...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
No, that's a null-modem cable for use with a SERIAL PORT with 1 data bit.

ADF_Transfer sends and receives data via a PARALLEL PORT with 8 data bits.
Old 06 April 2015, 00:19   #102
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
No, that's a null-modem cable for use with a SERIAL PORT with 1 data bit.

ADF_Transfer sends and receives data via a PARALLEL PORT with 8 data bits.
Lol that's true... what was I thinking!?
Old 06 February 2016, 23:33   #103
Frankee

Hello all!

I recently purchased a amiga transfer kit from Ikonsgr on ebay...

I have contacted him to try to figure out what is wrong but I was hoping maybe someone here has experience with this in the meantime and could possibly shed some light on the process.

I followed the instructions listed here but when I insert the disk...

3) Insert the boot disk of the kit, and wait untill floppy led turns off

it just leaves up the amiga insert disk screen and nothing happens... Am I supposed to see some kind of screen or something?

I have tried leaving it on this screen and attempting to use the transfer program regardless and it just hangs on "Establishing Connection... ** Time out - No Answer. Retrying..."

I have also tried step 2 under some useful notes..

2) On the amiga-->pc transfers you may notice that sometimes pc and amiga can't start the connection.In that case press <esc> and <enter> on amiga and "transfer" button on pc program.

But it just sits at the insert disk screen and it just leaves the establishing connection... retrying error on the PC.

Now, I don't think the disk is empty as it takes longer to read than when a blank disk is inserted before returning to the insert disk screen.

I have an amiga 500 with v 1.3.

Looking forward to getting this up and running!

Thank you,

Old 07 February 2016, 01:12   #104
Zippy Zapp

Hi,
Have you tried booting into Workbench and checking the disk to make sure it is correct?

I don't have this kit but it sounds like the disk is not recognized as a boot disk on your Amiga. Could be a bad disk or even dirty heads. Does it make a lot of noise like it is trying to read over and over again before it finally prompts you for a disk?
Old 07 February 2016, 02:26   #105
Frankee

Yea it does, it makes the reading noise 3 times before "giving up".

A regular blank disk only reads once. I'll check it in workbench and see whats up as well!

Old 07 February 2016, 05:48   #106
Frankee

Well, the disk shows up in workbench as "boot" and upon initial inspection, the icons look identical to my workbench disk with just one icon missing and the "boot" disk doesn't boot.

The missing icon is "Notepad" under utilities.

Last edited by Frankee; 07 February 2016 at 05:53.

Old 07 February 2016, 05:59   #107
Frankee

OK, I think i found part of the problem.

The boot disk reads as BAD in my DF0, but my DF1 drive can pick it up fine. This is the first disk I have found that my main drive does not read.

I'm going to diskcopy it to another disk and see if this helps.

Last edited by Frankee; 07 February 2016 at 06:07.

Old 07 February 2016, 06:40   #108
Frankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
Hi,
Have you tried booting into Workbench and checking the disk to make sure it is correct?

I don't have this kit but it sounds like the disk is not recognized as a boot disk on your Amiga. Could be a bad disk or even dirty heads. Does it make a lot of noise like it is trying to read over and over again before it finally prompts you for a disk?
Thanks! That got the disk working but i'm having issues with the transfer now...

http://imgur.com/XhMqACh

I see it says "No parallel port detected at 0xdc00". I'm not sure why. I have tried removing my Parallel port card and the program gives me an error when i open it saying it doesn't detect one but it loads fine when its in.

I'm not sure what i'm missing, I was looking into what could possibly be wrong but i'm not sure if messing with the dos box version and files included with this software suite will cause issues or not.

Anyhoo, at least the amiga is co-operating now and I can work on troubleshooting this.

Thanks again, Zippy Zapp!

Old 07 February 2016, 23:12   #109
Frankee

Alright! I got it all up and running!

Ikonsgr has been extremely helpful through emails with resolving this situation and me as an Amiga noob have gotten this method of transfer working!

Fairly easy and straight forward aside from the few hangups!

Thank you for all your hard work providing this Ikonsgr and thanks again Zippy Zapp for your suggestions!

One happy customer!

Old 09 April 2016, 10:44   #110
LocoSombrero

Happy A500 file transfer user here, got the PCI parallel card+cable+disk-combo from eBay. Took a while to setup, and sometimes during the transfers I had to restart the transfer from both the PC and the Amiga 500 apps (they couldn't communicate with each other very well for some reason). At the end of the day, I had hundreds of old 3,5" disks transferred. Whew!

I must add that this setup method is indeed what was advertised: LIGHTNING FAST, DIRT CHEAP and a WAY better solution than a serial link + Amiga Explorer. Even with a special-made null modem serial<->USB cable with full handshake etc, it was a real pain to get stuff in or out of the A500 using Amiga Explorer.

So yep, apart from the few confusing parts during setup and the minor annoyance-level "restart transfer from both ends"-glitches with the PC&Amiga endpoint apps, I still got everything transferred out from the A500 that I was supposed to, perhaps even more than I expected (some previously troublesome disks got out OK).

Whoever made the kit: THANK YOU, you made my day/week/month/year/decade/... Cheers!
Old 09 April 2016, 10:47   #111
LocoSombrero

(PPPS: ) I used the boot_df1.adf since my internal drive in the A500 is now the Gotek-Cortex USB reader, and my external drive (DF1: ) is what I use for 3,5" disk backups and transfers. Be sure to run the df1-version if you're copying from/to an external FDD.

Another tip: if the transfer hangs, punch ESC+Enter on the Amiga end and restart the transfer from the PC end. For some reason, my transfers also required me to restart the transfer quite often, but once the files started transferring, it was all clear. Luckily it takes only a few seconds, but from a programming viewpoint, shouldn't the PC and the Amiga apps be throwing ping-pong-packages to each other more aggressively? And how about the newer version of the Paradise file transfer util that was posted by the original developer a couple of years ago? Any news on this: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72602 ?
Old 18 August 2016, 12:47   #112
Doma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankee View Post
Thanks! That got the disk working but i'm having issues with the transfer now...

http://imgur.com/XhMqACh

I see it says "No parallel port detected at 0xdc00". I'm not sure why. I have tried removing my Parallel port card and the program gives me an error when i open it saying it doesn't detect one but it loads fine when its in.

I'm not sure what i'm missing, I was looking into what could possibly be wrong but i'm not sure if messing with the dos box version and files included with this software suite will cause issues or not.

Anyhoo, at least the amiga is co-operating now and I can work on troubleshooting this.

Thanks again, Zippy Zapp!
I have a similar problem. I get the "No Parallel port detected at 0xc000"

Did you manage to fix it? What did you do?

EDIT: Nevermind, always remember to run as administrator -_-

Last edited by Doma; 18 August 2016 at 14:50.

Old 18 August 2016, 16:25   #113
ikonsgr

Thanks for all the feedback and kind words guys! And if you have any questions better try to contact me (ikonsgr745@hotmail.com) as i dont got in forums too often any more...
Btw, LocoSombrero, this was a pleasent surprise! I didn't know there was a newer version developed from giuseppe, his official web site http://gm.iwarp.com/index.htm hasn't been updated for more than 15 years ago, so i assumed this was a dead project from the past, that even it's creator forgot about it... :-)
Anyway, i already try to contact giuseppe, to see if there is any development about this new version of paradise. I'm thinking of trying it and see if there is any increase in speed or less problems, but as giuseppe noted, the current version is for test only, not even a beta one, so i doubt it could be used as it is. Unfortunately the fact that more than 2.5 years there are no news for any development about the project doesn't make me very optimistic....
Like it or not, we are in mid 2016, and such projects doesn't seem to have any interest any more....

Last edited by ikonsgr; 05 February 2020 at 05:40.
Old 18 August 2016, 18:06   #114
ikonsgr

I just finished a small test with the new version. Practically there is no much difference in speed (it's about 10-15 seconds faster in windows 7/64bit e.g. ~10% faster, probably because old version run through dosbox). Of course using the newer version doesn't require the use of dosbox, and maybe this will cause less glitches, problems, etc, but on the other hand, the new paradise version availiable, is only for testing as giuseppe stated, so for the moment i don't think it's a good idea to update the program to use the newer version.
Let's hope he will answer my mail and then will see....
Old 21 September 2016, 01:12   #115
ikonsgr

Good news everyone ( [ Show youtube player ] remind me this.... ). I finally got an answer from giusepe, creator of paradise utility, and he told me that the project is not abandoned, it still working on this and probably a new stable version will be presented before end of the year.
The most important about this new version (apart from running on all modern windows os, 7,8 64bit etc) is that it will probably make use of the cheap usb to parallel converters!
This means that no real parallel port will needed and so you could use any pc/ laptop/notebook with any windows os!
Old 24 November 2016, 03:09   #116
LocoSombrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonsgr View Post
Good news everyone ( [ Show youtube player ] remind me this.... ). I finally got an answer from giusepe, creator of paradise utility, and he told me that the project is not abandoned, it still working on this and probably a new stable version will be presented before end of the year.
The most important about this new version (apart from running on all modern windows os, 7,8 64bit etc) is that it will probably make use of the cheap usb to parallel converters!
This means that no real parallel port will needed and so you could use any pc/ laptop/notebook with any windows os!
That's great news! Please keep us updated when there's any new developments.

Although, I'm now quite happy since I recently salvaged an old throwaway Office-Use Pentium4 with all the hardware of that era built-in -- lots of RAM + diskspace thanks to a fresh WinXP SP3 install, good &stable COM ports, FDD bus disk drive with 720kB disk support and a parallel port. AND NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.

I haven't tried out the transfer kit with the "dumpster PC" yet but I would think that cable that was contained in the PC<->Amiga transfer kit on eBay (I have the version came with an PCI-LPT adapter card) would do the trick? Should I turn on or off any LPT port settings on the WinXP Device Manager side before trying out the file transfer?

Thanks a lot for your great effort on this matter.

Cheers,
The Sombrero
Old 30 November 2016, 18:03   #117
ikonsgr

The cable is the same, i just add a tested pci or pci-e parallel card in order to use it with a modern pc that doesn't have on board LPT.
I think that giuseppe mentions the port must be standard but as far as i know it works either se SPP or EPP.
Old 03 March 2017, 20:24   #118
Doma

FYI. The program ADF_TRANSFER_64 seems to be marked as "virus" by OneDrive. So the download is not working atm. Since it gets blocked.

Old 01 July 2017, 16:41   #119
ikonsgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doma View Post
FYI. The program ADF_TRANSFER_64 seems to be marked as "virus" by OneDrive. So the download is not working atm. Since it gets blocked.
Yeap, after ~20 years, and for a reason that only Micro$oft knows , they decided to,as it seems, permenantly disable my mail/onedrive account (the usual bul...it about "violating policies", tells me absolutely nothing, as my activity is exactly the same for a VERY long time....).
Anyway, you can download everything from here now:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/grjrqpee1...dmyzmz1ha?dl=0

Last edited by ikonsgr; 01 July 2017 at 17:09.
Old 13 September 2017, 21:49   #120
chip

Which are the advantages and disadvantages in using Kryoflux ?