English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 April 2017, 14:24   #61
grelbfarlk

Hey Jens, something else I'd like fixed in P96, do something about Elbox's Voodoo 4 driver so it works with BE modes, again thanks in advance. I'll pay a good $15 for this to be fixed. Also some fake 15-bit modes would be nice for cards that don't support it.
Old 16 April 2017, 14:46   #62
wawa

wouldnt that be elbox responsibility?
Old 16 April 2017, 15:27   #63
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
wouldnt that be elbox responsibility?
Sure but they don't seem interested in fixing this 10 year old bug and I assume at this point they never will. So Jens can do it for money, to start seeing the return on his investment. I think Matthey has said in other threads that this bug/lack of feature also exists in the Prometheus driver too.

The fake 15-bit modes was just something I'm guessing might be possible to do at the P96 level. The only reason for this is there are a few CGX apps which seem to require a 15-bit mode.
Old 16 April 2017, 15:47   #64
wawa

aha. good. since im rather uncertain about elbox being ready to give away their sources.
Old 16 April 2017, 18:02   #65
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
That's it, gossip girls - shut up and code stuff instead!
What do you think would happen if all the gossip girls that propagate rumours/alternative facts would shut up and code stuff instead?
Old 16 April 2017, 20:00   #66
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
What do you think would happen if all the gossip girls that propagate rumours/alternative facts would shut up and code stuff instead?

We may have an old problem again, which I may have experienced somewhere around 1996: "Wow, so many new Aminet releases this week - I wish I had the time to try them all out. But nah, I've to catch up on the flame wars in comp.sys.amiga.misc, first!"
Old 16 April 2017, 21:19   #67
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
We may have an old problem again, which I may have experienced somewhere around 1996: "Wow, so many new Aminet releases this week - I wish I had the time to try them all out. But nah, I've to catch up on the flame wars in comp.sys.amiga.misc, first!"
I stopped posting on comp.sys.amiga.* in 1995...
Old 16 April 2017, 22:56   #68
wawa

well, i only post here while waiting for something to compile up or just to step back a little.
Old 17 April 2017, 18:06   #69
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I stopped posting on comp.sys.amiga.* in 1995...

So you didn't learn your lesson back then, didn't you?
Old 18 April 2017, 07:36   #70
LuigiThirty

I really should learn German, the good flame wars are over on A1K I'm sure.
Old 18 April 2017, 07:53   #71
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Thread

So its probably to early to ask, however I will ask this -

Should that one develop an RTG video adaptor for the Amiga and then writes a P96 driver based on the potentially OPEN P96 API -

(1) Whom owns that driver ?
(2) Would that driver, being based on the Open P96 API, be freely distributed ?
(3) What (if any) legal restrictions are to be placed; On the use of the API and 3rd party drivers that use it?

I have more questions but they will certainly have to wait until an official announcement.
Old 18 April 2017, 10:16   #72
idrougge

1) The programmer or whomever he licences his code to.
2) Yes.
3) Jens says that the API is to be freely published, what happens after that is a question of conscience for the implementor and buyer.
Old 18 April 2017, 12:04   #73
wXR

Not good enough, guys.
Old 18 April 2017, 12:20   #74
idrougge

wXR, if you don't like it, you have three options:
1) Make your own graphics card API. The Picasso96 guys proved it's possible, since it's a reimplementation of CyberGraphx.
2) Buy the rights to Picasso96 with your own money instead of telling others what to do with their money.
3) Shut up.
Old 18 April 2017, 16:22   #75
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiThirty View Post
I really should learn German, the good flame wars are over on A1K I'm sure.
you would probably be disappointed. to my recollection the most violent famewars were carried out on aw.net, as there is apparently little attenders who can do anything constructive rather than brag on forums. it has eventually flattened out though.. its not worth it, it seems..
Old 18 April 2017, 16:38   #76
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
you would probably be disappointed. to my recollection the most violent famewars were carried out on aw.net, as there is apparently little attenders who can do anything constructive rather than brag on forums. it has eventually flattened out though.. its not worth it, it seems..
Doesn't that make one miss Moobunny? >;-)
Old 18 April 2017, 16:41   #77
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Doesn't that make one miss Moobunny? >;-)
never posted there, but yes.. i miss it. loved the comments. wonder, what happened to people like jorkany, are they alive yet?
Old 18 April 2017, 17:51   #78
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@wXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
Not good enough, guys.
Please don't take this the wrong way but I am genuinely curious to know what ideas you have that you would think is good enough.

@idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
1) The programmer or whomever he licences his code to.
2) Yes.
3) Jens says that the API is to be freely published, what happens after that is a question of conscience for the implementor and buyer.
1:
In a perfect world I would agree - however...

2 & 3:
Hmmm I am unsure of this my friend, because that places the payment of the product squarely to the consumer and P96 2.x essentially free to the consumer at the moment. It would require time and investment to bring it up to a version with additional features worth paying for.

My line of thinking is that commercial software that use P96 will be charged a license to use it in the future. I am curious to know about how this might effect non commercial software such as demo's / free to play games

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
wXR, if you don't like it, you have three options:
1) Make your own graphics card API. The Picasso96 guys proved it's possible, since it's a reimplementation of CyberGraphx.
2) Buy the rights to Picasso96 with your own money instead of telling others what to do with their money.
3) Shut up.
Come on buddy, this is quite a combative statement - issuing a fellow member with only three options that you deem is disingenuous at best my friend. Of course there are other things that could be done if you don't like the status quo and would like to change - telling them to "shut up" is some what flame baiting and troll-ish.

IMHO I think you should offer an apology to our fellow forum member - you may not like his posts but that response is nothing short of near sighted and rude and could start a trolling / flame war and mess up yet another thread.

I would like for us to try and avoid that.

@Thread

Alternatively there is CGX, I personally find that it is a better rounded product for the equipment that I have in comparison to P96 - don't get me wrong it does have some issues, however I find that P96 has more - but I do look forward to seeing where this goes and IF from the back of this some good things can happen.

Last edited by Zetr0; 18 April 2017 at 18:00.
Old 18 April 2017, 20:13   #79
wXR

@Zetr0

"Good enough" is Picasso96 released under the GPLv2. And thank you for your (always) balanced and positively-oriented words but idrougge doesn't need to apologize for anything. I wouldn't be posting now if I weren't sufficiently thick-skinned.

@idrougge

It is my intention to buy Picasso96 in order to release it under the GPL. I don't want anyone to have to pay even a single cent in license fees to use it or modify it. If you also would like to see that reality, please encourage Jens to discuss it with me.
Old 18 April 2017, 20:26   #80
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
I don't know anyone around here with a PPC AmigaOS4 FE or anyone who wants one.There are a few people left with classic Amigas, maybe a few more who won't admit to it (Amiga users are ridiculed and made fun of around here if you dare mention the name). Maybe lantus360 owns an Individual accelerator (he has a Vampire accelerator and Mediator). That is the only person I know of with newer Amiga gear besides me and my Mediator. There are really Amiga people around you with newer Amiga hardware?
Define around here. Kansas? I am in California and there is quite an active Amiga user base here. And I don't know anyone that gets ridiculed over using a classic computer! People I talk to about it have fond memories and think it is cool. Even some in the younger generation. I have several icomp hardware add-ons including an ACA500, ACA500+, ACA1220 and others. And yes so do some around me even just around the corner in my own town. I am not the only one that prefers actual hardware to software emulation.