English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 December 2002, 22:13   #1
Djay
95th User

Don't Believe The Hype!!!

magazines raved about it in the previews...

the developers said it was the best thing since sliced bread...

IT IS the future of digital entertainment...

but...

name one game that lived up to the hype and one that didn't
Old 02 December 2002, 22:28   #2
Drake1009

One that didn't : DaiKatana
One that did : Duke nukem Manhattan project (Mainly because I didn't see any hype for it except some screenshots which (in my opinion) looked too 3dish so I was darn plesantly surprised when I bought it because it's retail price was lower than other titles.
Old 02 December 2002, 22:30   #3
DPainter

Did you mean PC or Amiga games?

Dungeon Siege from Microsoft did not live up to the hype. It was hyped so much that there were multiple "fan" sites up long before the game was released.

I can't think of any that did live up to the hype.

edit: Actually, I think the Cinemaware games did live up to the hype, if only for their spectacular graphics. I can still recall drooling over the ads for Defender of the Crown in Amiga World.

Last edited by DPainter; 02 December 2002 at 22:48.
Old 02 December 2002, 22:36   #4
Djay
95th User

Amiga mainly... but if you've got a PC ones that will do....
Old 03 December 2002, 01:24   #5
Shadowfire

Didn't - obviously, the most recent spectacular example is Daikatana (which I expect everyone here will probably mention). Unreal gets an honorable mention for being hyped beyond belief but only actually running well on 1 brand of video accelerator until 2 years after the game's release.

Did - well I honestly can't think of anything that was hyped and I was blown away by...maybe Dead or Alive 3, or Zelda:OOT (although the sequel was a huge letdown, being repetetive beyond comprehension)

There were also a number of "sleeper" games in the past few years that have blown me away-

Thief/Thief 2, Ultima 9, Noone Lives Forever, Ultimate Race Pro (LAN mayhem), Half-life, Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2, a whole boatload of games made by Sega,
Old 03 December 2002, 01:40   #6
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I agree with Thief 1&2 - superb games. Looking Glass are sadly missed.

Also, Ultima 9 was great once you got the patches and a fast machine. Saying goodbye to everyone in Lord British's castle before heading off for good was one of the best bits - but few people will have got to that because of all the problems with the game.
Old 03 December 2002, 01:51   #7
jmmijo

Actually I too agree with Dpainter on the Cinemaware point. I think that most of their titles lived up to the hype. I think the two that didn't quite meet their high water mark was SDI and Sinbad and the Throne of the Falcon.

They, IMO, were still good but not quite to the high levels that Cinemaware were known for
Old 03 December 2002, 01:54   #8
oldpx

Didn't: Pool of Radiance (2001 pc version), Neverwinter Nights (sort of), Daikatana, All Star Wars Episode 1 games, Heroes of Might and Magic IV, Ultima 9, Lands of Lore 3

Did: The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Max Payne, Unreal Tournament 2003

Old 03 December 2002, 02:11   #9
Djay
95th User

Didn't : Rise of the Robots (all formats)

Did : Final Fantasy 7 (psx)
Old 03 December 2002, 02:44   #10
-SolidSnake-

Didn't: AnarcyOnline (pc)
Did: Time Splitters 2 (ps2)

Amiga:

Didn't: Microcosm (does anyone know if the movies from this game are ripped?, someone ripped the movies from ab-ta...)

did: Cannon Fodder

Old 03 December 2002, 09:41   #11
NytroX86

@Burseg
What was wrong with Heroes 4? I thought the new system was much better than having yer heroes stand in a fight doin nothing.

@Djay
Didn't: Red Faction. It was basically an average shooter with the addition of destructable walls, but this technology (Geomod I think) wasn't used to full advantage. Hopefully the sequel will be better use it better.

Did: Grand Theft Auto 3. This game was exactly what people wanted from the 3d incarnation of GTA. It could easily have failed but instead it managed to balance a linear storyline with the feeling of freedom perfectly. The only niggles was the sometimes unrealism, eg can't go indoors (who cares?) or cant shoot tyres.

ps I judged both of these on the PC versions, not PS2

Last edited by NytroX86; 03 December 2002 at 10:20.

Old 03 December 2002, 09:55   #12
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Didnt: Chaos Engine 2

Did: Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
Old 03 December 2002, 12:39   #13
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Didn't: Operation Thunderbolt (C64!). Okay, its not recent! But I still recall being peeved Zzap 64's dual Amiga/C64 reviews & they'd gave the C64 game a Sizzler & it had great looking GFX. But it was a review of a pre-production version at Ocean & due to technical problems with the tape version they scrapped the woul-be good-looking disk version too & did an extremely crappy new version-except Zzap! declined to tell its readers,doubtless 'cos they'd be accused of reviewing an unfinished game.

On Amiga, hmm, I recall ravings about Strider, & never thought the amiga version was great-as Assasin from Team 17 proved later, for a strider-esque game.

Did: Final Fantasy VII (PSX), would never have thought that such a hyped game could be that good,but it was. Only "fault" is apart from finishing it & then going back to play thru the sub quests & defeat the Ruby,Emerald weapons & gain the most powerful weapons & magic,I never got around to playing it again! Once done you couldn't restart it from scratch!

Thief & Jedi Knight 2-jedi outcast (PC), two modern-ish PC titles that actually play well & have variety,(& in Thief's case), originality, for FPS.
Old 08 December 2002, 20:17   #14
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

DID: GTA3 oh yes indeeeeedy!

very DIDn't: Space Ace - the most anoying "animation" ever, not so much a game more an exersize in pixel perfect joystick manovering....
Old 08 December 2002, 21:03   #15
oldpx

Quote:
@Burseg
What was wrong with Heroes 4? I thought the new system was much better than having yer heroes stand in a fight doin nothing.
The game looked way too UGLY graphic wise and they turned gameplay into a cheap 3rd person turn based crap. The fighting scenes looked (I mean looked, not played) way too much like baldur's gate. I think that tried to imitate that look to have some nice screenshots but it wasn't possible with that baroque looking yellow interface. Unit animations are ugly they look like low color animated gifs. Prerendered 3d is crap if not done VERY carefully. Heroes 3's graphics were brilliant as 2d. The only reason they switched to fake 3d is, 3d is popular and 12 year old dickheads think 2d is outdated. Also the battle controls are ambigious and not responsive. The game has an isometric viewpoint. The designers may thing this enhances the realism but heroes games are never about realism. A Flat 2d strategy game that worked very well was a serious alternative to mundane strategy games which tried to look more realistic. Heroes was all about might and magic, and looked magical the old flat 2d way. On the other hand, isometric view is already far from realism, you can NEVER percieve the real world like that without perspective!

When I put Heroes 3 and 4 side by side, Heroes 3 has better graphics, better gameplay and better overall atmosphere. Heroes 4 has some nice additions to gameplay but the game itself isn't much playable and enjoyable, especially when compared to previous heroes games.

Disciples 2 was released before Heroes 4, but it looks and plays several times better. I recommend that one to all.

Last edited by Burseg; 08 December 2002 at 22:13.

Old 08 December 2002, 21:22   #16
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Did: Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
I surely agree here This game was allready being hyped, when the first one just came out
Old 08 December 2002, 21:38   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Did: Robocop 3, Cannon Fodder

Didn't: Strider, Strider 2, Epic, Cannon Fodder 2
Old 08 December 2002, 22:10   #18
Djay
95th User

yeah. GTA 3 is really good... can't wait to play on my PS2

FF7. played this through 3 times, and i have a got a saved game with isn't completed but i have everything (only need to head to the north cave to complete it.. but instead i just play battles etc.. 127 hours)
Old 09 December 2002, 00:19   #19
RetroMan

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
Didn't: Strider, Strider 2, Epic, Cannon Fodder 2
I disagree with EPIC I remember reading every bit of information on this game in mags back then and could not wait to play that game and when it came out I REALLY enjoyed playing it for a long time This game is a very good game indeed
Old 09 December 2002, 00:33   #20
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I think the problem with Epic was that it was hyped and hyped (as usual), so that everyone expected it to be a life-changing event. It was also in development for a long time.

So, when it was finally released and turned out to be a simple shoot-'em-up that could be finished in a day, most people were somewhat disappointed.

More time was spent on the graphics than the gameplay, I reckon.

It was the same with Microcosm CD32.