English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 August 2006, 16:51   #21
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
I only ever played Damocles but really enjoyed the sense of freedom.

I think Ill check out Mercenary soon.
If you do try Mercenary, look out for the Cheese (Escapefrom Targ) or the TABLE (Cheese in disguise, 11-13 / 08-01 in the second city). If you board the TABLE or Cheese, it is actually a megafast ship!!!
Old 25 August 2006, 20:32   #22
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Board the table of cheese????

This game sounds great!
Old 25 August 2006, 21:59   #23
MadMel

It took me about 15 minutes to talk my wife into the C64 the day it came out at Sears. Back then we lived in a one room apt with a mattress on the floor and a K-mart locker/trunk for a coffee table.

I bought the only games they had. Solo Flight and Zork. Our friends would come over just to sit on our couch with us and drink beers and try to solve the puzzles of Zork and to fly that mail around. It was the best gaming experience I've had.

Lots of games since have been great, but the absolute awe of playing Questron for the first time has stayed with me all these years later.

No, I don't want to trade in my GT Auto games for those old days, but every now and then, I miss that excitement. Heck, we were pretty happy with our "Pong" console when we got that. lol

Old 25 August 2006, 22:12   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

Captive (yes the word search picked it up)
Blood Money
Supercars
Sonic
F.E.A.R

Prolly more but can't be arsed to think about it.. too much real life stufdf on my mind
Old 25 August 2006, 23:05   #25
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

TI-99/4a
TI-Invaders
Parsec
Tombstone City
Moonsweeper

Atari VCS 2600
Vanguard

Amiga
Faerytale Adventure
Emerald Mine
Wolfchild
Defender Of The Crown
Skychase

PC
GTA - GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas
Dune 2
Dark Reign (not Dark Reign 2)
The Settlers

That's all folks...

Cheers,
Rick

Old 27 August 2006, 12:08   #26
Figi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMel
I bought the only games they had. Solo Flight and Zork. Our friends would come over just to sit on our couch with us and drink beers and try to solve the puzzles of Zork and to fly that mail around. It was the best gaming experience I've had.
Yeah, that "social" aspect is almost gone today. Back in the homecomputer-era, how many afternoons/nights did we spent together in front of one screen, watching each other play?

"Try to get up there! easy... just like that... now, now, JUMP! JU... NOOOOOOOOoooooo! *lol*"

And who ever sat around, watching someone else play UT2004 for a whole night? :-P
Old 27 August 2006, 13:01   #27
blade002
Zone Friend

The Last Ninja ( C64 )
Solaris ( Atari 2600 )
Driller ( C64 )
Turrican ( C64 )
Turbo Outrun ( C64 )
Zaxxon ( CBS ColecoVision )
Turbo ( CBS Colecovision )
Turrican 2 ( Amiga )
SWIV ( Amiga )
FA/18 Interceptor ( Amiga )
Unreal ( Amiga )
Future Wars ( Amiga )
Project X ( Amiga )
Gods ( Amiga )
Shadow of the Beast ( Amiga )
Cruise For A Corpse ( Amiga )
Awesome ( Amiga )
Alien Breed 3D ( Amiga )
Genetic Species ( Amiga )
Lionheart ( Amiga )
Karnov ( Arcade )
Rygar ( Arcade )
Double Dragon ( Arcade )
Chase HQ ( Arcade )
Outrun ( Arcade )
Stun Runner ( Arcade )
Top Landing ( Arcade )
R-Type ( Arcade )
Rune ( PC )
Hitman ( PC )
The Longest Journey ( PC )
Medal of Honour ( PC )

And countless others that i havent listed that made my jaw drop!
Old 27 August 2006, 13:32   #28
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
Board the table of cheese????

This game sounds great!
Mate thats only the start of it!! Wait till you find the city flying in the sky!!

If any of you havent played Mercenary, then you should get it, blank out a week in your diary, lock the doors, divorce the wife, sell the kids and wind your graphical expectations back 17 years - your in for a treat.....
Old 27 August 2006, 14:17   #29
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
Mate thats only the start of it!! Wait till you find the city flying in the sky!!

If any of you havent played Mercenary, then you should get it, blank out a week in your diary, lock the doors, divorce the wife, sell the kids and wind your graphical expectations back 17 years - your in for a treat.....
Yeah i missed out on Mercenary back when it came out ( dont know how though ) even after seeing great reviews for it and i tried it out about 5 weeks ago, although i had no time to play it. I must admit though i was kinda captivated by it after only about 5 minutes.. so im going to be giving it a shot when my next break comes up.
Old 27 August 2006, 18:11   #30
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Yeah, that "social" aspect is almost gone today. Back in the homecomputer-era, how many afternoons/nights did we spent together in front of one screen, watching each other play?

"Try to get up there! easy... just like that... now, now, JUMP! JU... NOOOOOOOOoooooo! *lol*"

And who ever sat around, watching someone else play UT2004 for a whole night? :-P
Exactly. My entire teen years were spent going over to friends houses to play the videogames they had. In fact every friendship I had was based on that. How else would you get to know someone or get invited to their house unless they said something like, "I just got an Atari 800XL. Do you want to come to my house to play Rescue on Fractalus?"

In the old days everybody would just go to the lucky rich kid's house to swim in his pool. Shooting aliens on distant planets became much more interesting than swimming. Now that computers are boring, I'd go for the pool every time.
Old 28 August 2006, 09:08   #31
redblade
Zone Friend

Wolfenstein 3D. Even though all my mates used to come over to play my Amiga, I was envious of my rich mate and his PC playing Wolfenstein 3D.

I also remember him showing me Prince of Persia, Wing commander and LHX attack chopper on his PC, but Wolf3D was the main game I wanted to play.
Old 28 August 2006, 10:53   #32
Qube

Some of my fav games over the years -

Arcade - Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Strider, SF's, KOF's, Golden Axe's, Outrun's, Black Tiger, GNG, AvP, Aliens, MK's, SF's, Metal Slug's, Pac Mania, R-Type, Samurai Shodown's, Toki, Daytona USA, VF's.
C64 - Monty's, Last Ninja, Turrican's, Thing on a Spring, Fox Fights Back.
ST - Bitmap Bros' games, Dungeon Master, IK+.
Amiga - Bitmap Bros' games, Lemmings's, Turrican's, Flashback, Pinball's, Cannon Fodder, Leander, SOTB's, Alien Breed's, Superfrog, Fire & Ice, Rick Dangerous games, Moonstone.
Genesis - SOR's, Sonic's, Ecco's, Gunstar Heroes, Earthworm Jim.
SNES - Mario's, Yoshi's, DKC's, F-Zero, Castlevania's.
PS1 - Tekken's, Ridge Racer, Tomb Raider's, RE games, Castlevania SOTN, Worms.
Saturn - Nights, Guardian Heroes.
N64 - Mario 64, Conker's Bad Day, Aki games, Goldeneye, Turok.
Dreamcast - Sonic's, SF3's, Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Power Stone, DoA, Capcom vs SNK 2, Ecco.
PS2 - Tekken's, God of War, SFZ-FG, Burnout Revenge.
Gamecube - Metroid Prime's, RE games, Eternal Darkness.
GBA - Metroid's, Castlevania's, Sonic's, Mario's.
PC - Doom's, DN3D, Blood, Hexen, Quake's, Half-Life's, Unreal's, Elder Scrolls, Fear, Tomb Raider's, Painkiller, Serious Sam, Settlers'...

Even to this day I still find the odd game which is really good to play, but it's getting harder to find them, most console stuff is just pure junk. Besides, I think if you've played a lot of games over the years your expectation of what is good has changed, so perhaps whats good to a new young player today is probably not so good to a veteran. Maybe I'm picky lol.
Old 28 August 2006, 12:47   #33
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
Exactly. My entire teen years were spent going over to friends houses to play the videogames they had. In fact every friendship I had was based on that. How else would you get to know someone or get invited to their house unless they said something like, "I just got an Atari 800XL. Do you want to come to my house to play Rescue on Fractalus?"

In the old days everybody would just go to the lucky rich kid's house to swim in his pool. Shooting aliens on distant planets became much more interesting than swimming. Now that computers are boring, I'd go for the pool every time.
EXACTLY !!!!.. ive been saying this to people for a long time now, and although online gaming is an advanced medium, they have TOTALLY lost what multiplayer really means.. it means INTERACTION and FRIENDSHIP!!!.. and not having someone on the other side of the world for whos face you cannot see and that you will never see!.

And yes, as someone already said, i used to love and now miss the " yeah go up, no down.. shoot that!!.. no go here, no go there!!... argghh you idiot !! what are you doing!!. arrgh.. ".. lol.. And of course sitting in front of adventure games trying to get through it together!.. there used to be 6 of us at times in one room trying to get through games on the Atari, C64, Amiga.. etc..

All the graphics, sound and technology will not fix why games were made in the first place, and that is to have fun not only with yourself but with friends. Gaming now is way too corporate.

Last edited by blade002; 28 August 2006 at 13:06.
Old 29 August 2006, 11:27   #34
viddi

Death Mask - ...not a game that really made me go wow (Shadow of the Beast did, when I saw it in a shopping centre...),

but when I had my Birthday party in our garden in 1995 someone said...:

Hey let´s go up and play Amiga! Not everyone was satisfied with that.
But we all went up to the flat and after 5 minutes 16 (!) people stand and sit around the Amiga and had soooo much fun.

We were playing Death Mask (2 Player DeathMatch).
Crazy feeling... so, what blade002 said sounds familiar to me

So, it was this great feeling of being together + the Amiga that made me go wow.
Old 29 August 2006, 11:38   #35
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
ermm

ok in no particular order!

Thunderforce III ( Megadrive )
Rambo III ( Megadrive )
Faery Tale Adventure
Kick Off
Extra Time
Kick Off 2
Player Manager
R-Type
Way of the exploding Fist
Super Sprint ( ST )
Oids
Booty
Chuckie Egg
Dare Devil Dennis
BBC game ( ship stayed in the centre of the screen and you turned into enemies, vector style! ) STARSHIP COMMAND!! yay
Revs
Commando ( Spectrum ) First game on the Speccy
Wheelie

Last edited by stainy; 29 August 2006 at 12:05.
Old 29 August 2006, 20:01   #36
Ultron
Something

Amiga:

Gods
Speedball 2
SWIV

PC

Unreal
Half Life
Far cry
Old 02 September 2006, 12:12   #37
eternalcrusader
Zone Fiend

Under A Killing Moon (PC, 1994) was pretty mindblowing. Nice quality videos, bad acting (which made me laugh many times), good humour, detailed and good 3D engine. You could look up and down and crouch and stand up etc.

The game was ahead of it's time. I actually played it through only a few days ago. I never made it without walkthrough, there are some nasty pixel hunting sequences but it's a good "interactive movie" with the walkthrough.
Old 02 September 2006, 13:10   #38
Marcuz

it's not like to say they are the best game around, but the ones that made me go wow for atmosphere, that blew away the others:

-amiga-
Perihelion
Lotus I
Ishar I
Elvira I

-infocom interpreter-
Anchorhead

-PC-
Silent Hill IV - The Room
POD

...on a WAY lower place than these but still better than the mass, i add this because on pc it seems there are way less games that catch me than on amiga:

Rogue Squadron
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
The Temple of the Elemental Evil
Icewind Dale 1

yeah pretty much that's it. there are other games that i've played more but these were simply more

Last edited by Marcuz; 02 September 2006 at 13:18.
Old 02 September 2006, 13:17   #39
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
Whurlygig
eh? what's that?
Old 02 September 2006, 13:30   #40
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by extentofmysin
As for the best SNES games, thats prob another topic all on its own.. just dont mention RPGs, or youll get everyone going! haha....at the time I only really got into Secret of Mana, now that one really should be released some day on the GBA/DS if it hasnt already.
Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu II) made my go hysterical back in the days. Mostly because the general, and contemporary, lack of RPGs released over here. I loved its music, graphics and, well, pretty much everything. But, today, I think it is nothing more than an average and pretty flawed action-RPG. It is too short (last time I played it through I beat it in less than 20 hours, and then I didn't know the game too well). It lacks story (you can certainly tell that they had to reduce the games plot from the original CD version that they were developing, and mix that together with the fact that it was a rushed 'one week' translation made by one man only, even more of the already cut plot was lost in the process). At times, nothing seems logical, and you don't really know what to do. The game just feels like a mixed bag of things that just seem to happen for no apparent reason. And, finally, what bothers me the most, is the fact that no matter how you configure the movement of your computer aided characters, they will keep getting stuck in pretty much everything they can get stuck in, running into arrows, monsters, whatever, just to make you have to backtrack to get them on track again and use an uneccessary amount of health items (which already is pretty limited in your inventory) just to keep them alive. Oh, and also there is this really bothersome way of beating the crap out of the later bosses... you just keep tossing magic at them until they die, leaving them with no chance of ever attacking you (besides when your attacks have added up to the maximum amount of damage you can deal, and you will have to make a short pause in your attacks leaving the bosses free to deal some damage).

Really flawed game, with stunning visuals and lovely music. The sequel (Seiken Densetsu III) is way much better, according to me. And, I am pretty sure that if I had played that game back in the days (if I had known japanese, because back then we didn't have this excellent unofficial translation which is available today) I would have gone woooooooow in a much more lasting way than with Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu II). In fact, I still today consider Seiken Densetsu III being one of the best action-RPGs ever released for the SNES.