English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 20 August 2013, 23:18   #1
dtr1001

Adding new game disks

...so I have FS-UAE working nicely and I find if I add a new adf file to my floppies directory and rescan files and configurations then refresh database, my new disk files are not discovered? How would I fix this please?

Crunchbang Waldorf
Old 21 August 2013, 00:08   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

The game database will not recognize every ADF and/or ADF set you throw at. In order to provide working configurations, it only lists game variants where it has found exact matches for the disk images. There are several possible reasons why the disks does not cause a game variant to appear:
- The disk(s) are marked as [b] (bad) in TOSEC, and has therefore been excluded from the database.
- The disk is not recognized because it has been modified (high-scores, save games, corruption, or other modifications).
- The disks are a multi-disk set which does not correspond to one in the oagd.net database. There are often several alternative disk images for each disk, and the database does not include every combination of these disks.

This is a "tricky one" since there are so many variants of ADFs for (some games), so the database only supports some specific ADF files (but often more than one set of disks for each game).

If you see for example this page: http://oagd.net/amiga/lotus-turbo-challenge-2/edit - you can then scroll down and see the recognized variants (expand the sections and you'll also find information such as checksums).

It would be easy to for example generate a "DAT file" from the database, so it is easy to see which recognized files you have or not, something I should consider creating.

And also, if you know that a particular good disk set is missing from the database, a comment added to the discussion page for that game on oagd.net would be highly appreciated

But to actually answer your questions: Users can right now only modify existing entries in the online database. Additions to the database must be requested, and a moderator can then add stuff
Old 21 August 2013, 00:43   #3
dtr1001

Thanks

makes sense thanks
Old 31 August 2014, 14:49   #4
liveevil
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
It would be easy to for example generate a "DAT file" from the database, so it is easy to see which recognized files you have or not, something I should consider creating.
Have you considered this yet and/or have you made one yet ? It would make it a lot easier to create a set of "working with FS-UAE" games so we don't have to have a full TOSEC set on the Hard Drive that doesn't get used. Thanks.
Old 01 September 2014, 01:52   #5
ArtMac

Hi. I think that the idea of making some sort of a "DAT file" is great, so as the user above says, we won't have to have lots of roms in the HDD that are not used.

I would go even a step further: I suggest adding an option in the FS-UAE scanning options to: "move found games to \roms folder" (a default "\roms" or "\games" folder like the Cache, CD-Roms,Configurations,etc folders). That would help us to have a clean set of roms for FS-UAE.

Also it would be interesting to add an option to list the missing games so we can know what we miss so we can complete the set.

Finally, I think it would be great to have a "\new content" default folder, so when we find the game we were missing (or for the initial setup), we place it there, do a scan, and if it is the correct one it will be moved to \roms, and in other case, it would be left there.

I'm thinking about these "default folders" to be along the other FS-UAE default folders like Cache, Configurations, etc. because that will make portable mode perfect, since it won't be even necessary to add a rom path during the initial setup: just place all you want inside "\new content", start the Scan in FS-UAE, and all the matched files will be moved to the correct folders.

thank you

Last edited by ArtMac; 05 April 2015 at 03:39.
Old 05 April 2015, 03:33   #6
ArtMac

Hello Frode!!

I write on this old post to ask you if you've considered adding, in future development versions, the features I talk about in the message above.

I think it would be great!!

Thx