English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 30 May 2010, 13:36   #41
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemos View Post
looks nice!, working already ?
can you upload some screen ?
Its just a tease, i am waiting for the boards to get here. I thought i would jump the gun and get the case ready, I really do hate this waiting part. I am told Thursday of next week they should be here, once i have them and prove they work i will canvas people for their interest before committing funds into extra ones. Still haven't calculated the costs, but i think with just an Amiga cable and the box it would be about $49 - $59 depending on quantity bought and cables for other devices would vary from $9 to $19 from what i have found.

Of course once it is up and running i will release schematics and cable pinouts etc for those people that want to make their own

Last edited by kipper2k; 30 May 2010 at 13:42.
Old 30 May 2010, 14:21   #42
gulliver
BoingBagged

Excellent work

Please upload some pictures as soon as you have an assembled board.
Old 03 June 2010, 13:04   #43
sanjyuubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Thanks for the schem Rafgc, unfortunately it looks like that needs a -10v input. I can't use the -ve voltage on the Amiga video output as its only rated at 10ma. I need at least 60ma so i had to go with a LTC 1983 inverter thats rated at 100ma using +5v input. Theres not a lot of cheap choices when trying to get a -ve from a +ve. Boards should be here next week hopefully
It is not fixed for -10V (it's only example), output voltage depends mainly of used zener diode.

Here you have some info how positive-to-negative converter is working:
http://cds.linear.com/docs/Design%20Note/dn433f.pdf

DC/DC converter is as far the easiest option. How much did you paid for LTC 1983?
Old 03 June 2010, 13:28   #44
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafgc View Post
It is not fixed for -10V (it's only example), output voltage depends mainly of used zener diode.

Here you have some info how positive-to-negative converter is working:
http://cds.linear.com/docs/Design%20Note/dn433f.pdf

DC/DC converter is as far the easiest option. How much did you paid for LTC 1983?
Thanks for the link. The ltc 1983 and the 3 caps required with it were about $4.50 for the set, not the cheapest option,

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...%23TRMPBFCT-ND

but also when buying components you have to get from same supplier otherwise all the shipping costs escalate.
I'll check out the link later today

edit. your link is dead ?
Old 04 June 2010, 18:17   #45
sanjyuubi

Which one link is dead?

$4.5 is not that much for me, but it depends of yours pricing goals. I tried to find any of parts you used, but with no succeed. Are they rare or something?
Old 04 June 2010, 20:54   #46
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafgc View Post
Which one link is dead?

$4.5 is not that much for me, but it depends of yours pricing goals. I tried to find any of parts you used, but with no succeed. Are they rare or something?
the link is good now, must have been dns problems with my isp.

the inverter is

LTC1983ES6-3#TRMPBFCT-NDIC CHARG PUMP REG INV 3V SOT23-6 (Digikey)

the LT6550 is not in stock at digikey which sucks. I had to get a couple directly from the manufacturer (www.linear.com). The shipping costs HURT! to Canada, so i persuaded them for a freebie sample of a couple. If i mass produce then the shipping will be worth it. The resistors are all 1% tolerence SMD and radial through hole and no problem getting at Digikey.

Still waiting for the boards to arrive, For the Narmi portion of the board, all components for that part of the circuit are also available at digikey. I found a place in the US that sells the 23 pin connectors for $1.18 each and the hoods for $1.61, again the shipping costs always sneak the costs up. If there is enough interest once i get everything working then i will put in a big order, thats the only way to keep the costs down.
Old 04 June 2010, 21:26   #47
kipper2k

found the lt6550 in the UK...

http://uk.farnell.com/linear-technol...ple/dp/1330768
Old 09 June 2010, 02:06   #48
kipper2k

Haven't heard from Futurlec about status of my boards, 3 emails, no response, don't know whats going on there, hopefully they haven't gone bust or something. No acknowledgements at all.
Old 04 July 2010, 14:03   #49
Dropcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Heres a progrep on where i am at the moment on this project, i managed to shrink down the board size to about 1.6" squ. That means that it should fit inside this case shown below.

Component, Svideo, composite and stereo audio outputs

showing DB15 input that will allow all the useful inputs from devices that we output from, including the Amiga of course

Another shot of the 15 pin input and the power LED for those people that like the warm glow of a Blue LED (or other colours)

Another look, Case size btw is 2.6" square

Hey,

What the current status on this jewel?
Old 04 July 2010, 17:55   #50
kipper2k

Hi there,

Futurlec have been really slow on getting this back to me, they made me change traces aroundtwice now and are very slow at sending emails, so at the last email i got from them dated last Wednesday they said 8 working days.

The problem is using expressPCB, there are very few companies that will produce boards from that format so choice is not very good. I finally grabbed Eagle Cad and learnt how to use that, created the design and now have a bit more choices of manufacturer houses. Once i get my trial boards and prove them then i will canvass for interest (and use another manufacturer). I have been chomping at the bit trying to get this started, once i get an idea in my head i really get impatient lol
Old 08 July 2010, 05:02   #51
aperez

I guess you'll likely see it around the fifteenth of this month, then, if all goes well.
Old 08 July 2010, 17:05   #52
thgill

Looks awesome. I am definitely interested in one of these once you get it all sorted out.

How well does your design deal with PAL signals? It isn't NTSC only is it?
Old 08 July 2010, 18:12   #53
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgill View Post
Looks awesome. I am definitely interested in one of these once you get it all sorted out.

How well does your design deal with PAL signals? It isn't NTSC only is it?

Hi,

It will have a PAl/NTSC toggle switch so it will work with either format.
Old 10 July 2010, 05:14   #54
kipper2k

Damn, I am sooooo pi$%#*...

Here is a pic of the boards that Futurlec sent me...

As you can probably see this board looks like it is for an Audio Op amp circuit, somewhere there is someone cursing looking at my video boards. Grrrrrrr.

1 pace forward and 2 steps back, email already been sent to them, it was soooo hard not to swear and jump up and down... and the saga continues
Old 13 July 2010, 02:11   #55
aperez

Wow, what a giant cock-up. Looks like you will be getting some free board services from Futurelec, if you play your cards right.
Old 13 July 2010, 02:35   #56
kipper2k

I got an email from them today, they are Fedex'ing the proper order today (From Thailand), they reimbursed me for the customs charges i paid, told me i could keep (destroy) the boards they sent by mistake and apologized. Mabbe, just mabbe, i'll have them by this Friday... i aint gonna hold my breath though.

Now, if i could just figure out what these boards i have are for i might be able to sell em lol.
Old 13 July 2010, 04:03   #57
aperez

The 4558 is a dual-channel Op-Amp. One guess is a portable headphone amplifier, given that it runs on 9V. See http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/NE_SA4558.pdf
Old 13 July 2010, 13:21   #58
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@aperez

Hmmmm thats a lot of through-hole for a somthing to be portable these days...

@Kippers

Good luck for this week, I have not had a problem like yours with Futurlec, usually I find them both helpfull and professional.

The only problem I had was when I contacted them about the A608 PCB's and I was given a 3-4 week run-arround because their lithography couldn't cope with 8mils sizes.

thats was a project low-point.

my good friend XC8 pointed me to a company ourPCB whom I have to admit are both professional and helpfull. unfortunately for me though when converting a protel to DXF format the bottom ground pour plane got garbled so theres a little* rework for me to do, but a great, cheap service! *recommended*
Old 13 July 2010, 13:33   #59
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Futurlec are shitful at getting back regarding emails, I won't deal with them.

Customer service is a dead art, just ask Toll Priority.
Old 13 July 2010, 16:34   #60
kipper2k

Thanks for the info Zetr0.,

I've been doing a bit of pricechecking and here are a couple of quotes i found (all online quotes). using my upcoming board which is (at the moment) 2.9" x 2.1". Double sided, silkscreen on top, soldermask both sides... (order of 25 boards).

Futurelec... (Asia, Australia/Thailand)
will do PCBexpress as well as others

Unit cost $3.93
silkscreen $12.00
soldermask $24.00
setup fee $25.00

Total cost PCB $159.25
shipping (Fedex) $14.00

For Grand total of $173.25

silvercircuits.com (USA/Thailand).
will not do PCB express layouts

Unit cost $2.22
silkscreen $0
soldermask $0
setup fee $75.00

Total cost PCB $130.50
shipping (Fedex) $14.50

For Grand total of $145.00

So there ya have it, I thought Futurlec were pretty well the cheapest, I haven't ordered anything from Silvercircuits.com yet. i will prob try them next time (especially now i have a good handle on Eagle).

As a footnote... Ordering 50 boards....

Futurlec = $3.14 each
Silvercircuits = $1.80 each