English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 April 2020, 14:00   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

Bippy's Action Replay Tutorial Videos

Hi guys, decided to do a tutorial on using an action replay..

This is my first proper tutorial, and I was very hesitant tof doing this for a few reasons (I hate my own voice to start) .

I decided to look. I to training the credits and lives in Rainbow Islands and also making it so when you do die you won't lose the upgrades you have. This is my first proper video, and feedback is appreciated. There are a few things I wouldhhave expanded upon and done differently (for example, I didn't mention that the base offset needs to be in a register when indirect accesses are used)

It wasn't recorded professionally and was done with the wife watching telly. Anyway have a look and if anyone has any requests I'll see what I can do ?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 April 2020, 14:15   #2
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Haven't seen the video entirely, but for me your voice is okay. I've heard worse ones...
Old 18 April 2020, 14:52   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

Good video. And don't worry, a lot of people hate their own voice when recorded, including myself, when it's probably all right.

I'd like to add that when you're using WinUAE, Action Replay isn't the best choice to debug games. Try that stunt on Addams Family for instance. Or other games that can detect (willingly or unwillingly) Action Replay.

This is an excellent tutorial for people with real A500s and ARIII. If you're using WinUAE, and you're mastering ARIII, it's time to switch to the best and non-intrusive debugger: WinUAE built-in debugger (lots of parts of the tutorial above are relevant to any debugger including WinUAE debugger so watching it if you're not familiar with monitors isn't a waste of time)
Old 18 April 2020, 15:21   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

This video was created in response to a comment I made on a Facebook group. I tend to use the winuae debugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Good video. And don't worry, a lot of people hate their own voice when recorded, including myself, when it's probably all right.

I'd like to add that when you're using WinUAE, Action Replay isn't the best choice to debug games. Try that stunt on Addams Family for instance. Or other games that can detect (willingly or unwillingly) Action Replay.

This is an excellent tutorial for people with real A500s and ARIII. If you're using WinUAE, and you're mastering ARIII, it's time to switch to the best and non-intrusive debugger: WinUAE built-in debugger (lots of parts of the tutorial above are relevant to any debugger including WinUAE debugger so watching it if you're not familiar with monitors isn't a waste of time)
Old 18 April 2020, 19:32   #5
mcgeezer

Nice video! I hated the sound of my voice when I first did a video but then for some bizarre reason it stopped bothering me.
Old 18 April 2020, 20:42   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Everyone hates the sound of their own voice as it's completely different to the voice we hear when talking lol
Old 18 April 2020, 21:02   #7
Viceroy

I've been after a tutorial for this, well done and you sound fine mate ;-)
Old 18 April 2020, 21:58   #8
redblade
Zone Friend

Look out Pewdiepie, You have a contender. Good work
Old 19 April 2020, 15:50   #9
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thanks guys,

Thinking about either spending more time on RI or moving onto another game. I am not going to go as far as cracking etc, and want to keep it simple.

Personally I would rather use the WinUAE debugger, as that doesn't crash out lol.. Simply set a memwatch point in RI and see it go into a permanent loop (Like JOTD said above)
Old 20 April 2020, 11:31   #10
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Thanks for this, watched all the way through with interest.

Action Replay III was to me the most interesting and important piece of hardware I ever owned for A500 and I'm still constantly taken back how vastly useful it is from your basic disk operations to ripping stuff out of the memory and modifying code on the run.

As the Saddam virus hit Amiga back in 1991 it managed to destroy quite a bunch of my disks without any of my virus software being able to detect it. It was only through purchase of Action Replay same year that I was able to remove it from the memory and disks, and manage many other disk operations without the virus spreading to new disks.

ps. nothing wrong with your voice, keep it up!
Old 20 April 2020, 13:17   #11
veper
EAB fan

It's a very decent tutorial actually, I like it.
Old 20 April 2020, 13:24   #12
Superman

I saw the post on Facebook about this and it was a very good job. Not an easy thing to do for most people (both making videos and the topic in question).
Old 20 April 2020, 21:05   #13
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Nice video It kept me and my cats entertained while dinner was cooking
Old 20 April 2020, 22:21   #14
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thanks gents

I am slowly working on the content for the next video. Much more complex so maybe need to go to a different game
Old 21 April 2020, 12:41   #15
Dan

Thanks.

I have used the AR3 alot in the past, while amiga was still the top computer, but i had to teach myself how to use the AR3.

Now i learned few more things about it.
Old 21 April 2020, 14:37   #16
zenox98
Joy Division

Much obliged - very interesting.

Shame there are no equivalent tutorials for cracking such as Psygnosis games using WinUAE built-in debugger or AR, but I live in hope - don't be shy jotd .
Old 21 April 2020, 14:50   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

Cracking is a little more complex and will usually require permanent changes to the disk being made.

Maybe in future it can be built upon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenox98 View Post

Shame there are no equivalent tutorials for cracking such as Psygnosis games using WinUAE built-in debugger or AR, but I live in hope - don't be shy jotd .
Old 21 April 2020, 15:05   #18
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenox98 View Post

lots of cracking tutorials on flashtro.com most of which rely on Action Replay. Many are not very well explained or are pretty simple but there are definitely some more complex ones and some that are quite step by step - I wrote a few for them.
Old 21 April 2020, 15:57   #19
BippyM
Global Moderator

This is definitely where a video tutorial trumps any other kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
lots of cracking tutorials on flashtro.com most of which rely on Action Replay. Many are not very well explained or are pretty simple but there are definitely some more complex ones and some that are quite step by step - I wrote a few for them.
Old 21 April 2020, 18:29   #20
BigT

Thanks for posting the video tutorial ! Was wondering what software you used to record the video ?