he is a movie director etc etc
anyone not see his x-mas special with Keith Apicary lol
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 November 2018, 17:41   #82
carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I am not surprised

Actually, I agree with almost everything he said in that video. The only thing that I think is not the fault is jumping using the UP button. This was just one of two philosophies - home computers used up, game consoles used a button. CD32 is a home computer in console body.
Hehe. same here. But I was a bit afraid to post it here.
I love the guy and his show and he actually has the point in many cases.
Old 22 November 2018, 18:22   #83
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
The case differs.
So it does, according to these stills: the Commodore logo is white, and the "Amiga CD32" sticker looks cheaper, on the model that goes into the dumpster.

I'm guessing that maybe the CD32 he was using was on loan from someone else so he had to return it, and the other one was a broken donation. I hear he gets donations all the time, so it's not unreasonable to assume that.

What I'd like to ask everyone is: Is the Amiga CD32 similar to the Commodore 64GS? They both take existing popular computer hardware and attempt to make consoles out of them, and they both failed to take off. Would you agree with that assessment? All I can say is that Commodore were less successful in their attempts at consoles than Atari were: the 2600, 7800 and XE Games System were successes (as far as I know) whilst the 5200 and the Jaguar were miserable failures. Agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD32-1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	60901   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD32-2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	60902   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD32-3.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	60903  

Last edited by Foebane; 22 November 2018 at 18:29.
Old 22 November 2018, 19:48   #84
Zak
ZapĀ“em

I got my hands on a bunch on CDs on a bargain-sale. I noticed that several CDs would not work with my A1200, the sale just said "Amiga CDs" when I read about it in the newspaper and I was surprised at home that some CDs wouldn't actually work on a normal Amiga.

But I then saw a special offer for a used CD32 which had some problems and was cheap.

One of the CDs I got was Diggers which I didn't find too bad, because it's very relaxing and de-stress if you once got into it.

The thing is, when I had my A500 before all that, I had to read game magazines, too, because when you buy games just judging the cover, you often got crap, even for the more popular A500. And there where many crap games for the A500! This is not a unique CD32 prroblem.
Old 22 November 2018, 19:58   #85
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
I got my hands on a bunch on CDs on a bargain-sale. I noticed that several CDs would not work with my A1200, the sale just said "Amiga CDs" when I read about it in the newspaper and I was surprised at home that some CDs wouldn't actually work on a normal Amiga.
Funnily enough, I once managed to convince my Amiga-HATING friend to put a CD32 CD-ROM into his PC's CD-ROM drive, I can't remember why I would do that, maybe there were music tracks we were trying to play. In any case, he claims that I BROKE his CD-ROM drive as a result. Then again, he was probably once again trying to blame the Amiga.

Is there any way in which putting an Amiga CD-ROM into a PC CD-ROM drive would break the latter?
Old 22 November 2018, 20:01   #86
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
So it does, according to these stills
You still take AVGN very seriously.
No way he would seriously damage any of the retro stuff. He just throw it in a trash, and then pull it back.
If he does physically destroys any of the console in his videos, I am positive it's just an empty plastic shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
And there where many crap games for the A500! This is not a unique CD32 prroblem.
Not at all, unique for CD32
Nes system had a huge pile of crappy games (AVGN made a career playing those games), especially LJN games.
When I had Commodore, I also remember there were a lots of bad games.
It's pretty much common for every comp and console, I guess.
Old 22 November 2018, 21:01   #87
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
One thing AVGN didn't mention, is that you could add external keyboard and mouse, and make your CD32 something like A1200. That's a BIG thing for me personally, and something that no console had (from my knowledge
Ever heard of the Bandai Pippin? This was basically a classic mac ppc turned into a games machine. It had the mac desktop too, so you could use it as a regular Mac. However, this was a flop too. Probably even worse flop than CD32.
Old 22 November 2018, 21:09   #88
nexus

well actually many consoles you could turn back into a computer so that wasnt anything new
eg ADAM coleco FAMICOM family computer SEGA SG series etc etc
then around this time you had FM-Towns Marty etc
saturn and ps1 you could do those things dreamcast etc
the Pippin did somewhat ok in japan as the ATMARK

Last edited by nexus; 22 November 2018 at 21:15.
Old 22 November 2018, 21:15   #89
jotd
This cat is no more

An interesting thing about the CD32 is the need to adapt Amiga games to joypad + CD music (on official and unofficial/CD32load/WHDLoad adaptations)

When running emulators on console games, the buttons always do the same thing. But pick the amiga, sometimes pause is P sometimes it's F6 (WTF!) sometimes there are extra keys, space for smart bomb... Forcing to adapt for the console also makes it playable from a joypad. And people using emulators like Raspberry pi can benefit from those new versions (no keyboard mapping to configure, yes!!)

Again, if you didn't care about the amiga and its games, the CD32 wasn't really worth it (that's not my case, and I enjoy the extra challenge of making a game which wasn't designed for the CD32 run on it, with CD audio tracks & joypad buttons)

Note: I own 2 CD32 machines with new lasers.

Erm @Amigajay
Quote:
Is there any way in which putting an Amiga CD-ROM into a PC CD-ROM drive would break the latter?
No of course not, it would just not read the data on it, and if there was no cd audio some drives would either just stop the cd spinning whilst others just eject the disc, to say it broke it is just bollox on his part.
Amiga CD32 discs are ISO (uppercased limited char no Rockridge and all), so PCs read them all right, data & audio track... It's different with floppies of course.

Last edited by jotd; 22 November 2018 at 22:26.
Old 22 November 2018, 22:10   #90
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
to say it broke it is just bollox on his part.
You have no idea how much my friend DESPISED the Amiga. He owned a ZX Spectrum, then an Atari ST, and finally a PC. He said the OS was entirely unstable and unreliable, he and his friends used to hang around a computer shop and "dissuade" people from going for the Amiga (so he told me) and (get this) he even proudly said that SID was a better sound chip than the Amiga's (I didn't reply at the time cos I had no knowledge of SID's abilities).

He always used to berate my "crappy Amiga" with a huge grin, and at one point when I told him it was harder to program the Amiga, he seemed hugely satisfied and cheered up.

I don't know what his problem was, I guess he was just jealous. Or he had a really negative experience with the machine that he never told me about.

The thing is, he's on Facebook, and I'm really tempted to Friend him on there, but I fear I'll only bring up the old rivalries once again. Maybe I'm hoping he'll have done extensive research on various retro platforms in the intervening years and come to the conclusion that Amiga rocks. Then again, from what I've seen, he's become quite the console game collector and custom PC addict.
Old 23 November 2018, 00:38   #91
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
And for the God's sanity, don't even tell him about this:

http://hol.abime.net/2952/miscshot

I really liked this game !!!
Better than kangfu for me.
Old 23 November 2018, 00:44   #92
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
You have no idea how much my friend DESPISED the Amiga. He owned a ZX Spectrum, then an Atari ST, and finally a PC. He said the OS was entirely unstable and unreliable, he and his friends used to hang around a computer shop and "dissuade" people from going for the Amiga (so he told me) and (get this) he even proudly said that SID was a better sound chip than the Amiga's (I didn't reply at the time cos I had no knowledge of SID's abilities).

He always used to berate my "crappy Amiga" with a huge grin, and at one point when I told him it was harder to program the Amiga, he seemed hugely satisfied and cheered up.

I don't know what his problem was, I guess he was just jealous. Or he had a really negative experience with the machine that he never told me about.

The thing is, he's on Facebook, and I'm really tempted to Friend him on there, but I fear I'll only bring up the old rivalries once again. Maybe I'm hoping he'll have done extensive research on various retro platforms in the intervening years and come to the conclusion that Amiga rocks. Then again, from what I've seen, he's become quite the console game collector and custom PC addict.

Everyone knows that Atarians (or, better said, STeans) hate on the Amiga 'cos they couldn't stand the fact that their beloved machine was inferior to it. Deep down inside your friend knows it, even if he never acknowledges it.

Back on topic: In fact, now that I think of it, I can't recall any console-based computer or computer-based console that fared well except for the Amiga. The Amiga was going to be the Lorraine - a jab at the console market. It became a computer instead and the rest is history. All the other attempts at crossing the computer/console barrier were unsuccessful. At least until the first Microsoft Xbox, which is basically a nVidia-based Wintel PC in console dressings...
Old 23 November 2018, 00:47   #93
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

About the Nerd video,
this is his goal to take bad games, and i must admit that when i played dangerous street on my new cd32 at the time it was a terrible memory.
But there is plenty good games on the cd32 but not so many used the real possibilities of this machine.
He could have tested the best amiga cd32 games but it's not the purpose of his videos.
The goal is trashing... and the cd32 have plenty of games to do it.
edited : In the other side i loved the cd32 with aminet, whith plenty of stuff to test, watching mpeg videos !! (the colours were incredible vs vhs).

Last edited by turrican3; 23 November 2018 at 00:53.
Old 23 November 2018, 02:12   #94
lesta_smsc

Cool video! Is there a sequel? For anyone wondering what happens if you play track 1?...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 November 2018, 09:40   #95
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Cool video! Is there a sequel? For anyone wondering what happens if you play track 1?...
Strange, that is certainly not white noise.
Old 23 November 2018, 12:21   #96
Daedalus

Indeed, the sound you get depends on the player used. Some will just play silence, some will skip the track entirely, some sound like that, and some sound like loud, short, sharp bursts of white noise interspersed with short, silent gaps (which is what my old Pioneer unit does).
Old 23 November 2018, 14:43   #97
haynor666
retro maniac

As a consol in 1994 CD32 was far too late and underpowered at a time. Direct A500/A1200 ports with CD audio instead of new games that full used CD32 didn't help either. It's not peace of junk for us because it's almost standard A1200 but for console market it is failure especially at initial price.
Old 23 November 2018, 16:52   #98
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post
As a consol in 1994 CD32 was far too late and underpowered at a time. Direct A500/A1200 ports with CD audio instead of new games that full used CD32 didn't help either. It's not peace of junk for us because it's almost standard A1200 but for console market it is failure especially at initial price.
Indeed, look at the CD32 release date (September 1993) and the competition at the time which was easily superior, had lasted longer and not to mention the PC...

...and then FIFTEEN MONTHS LATER (December 1994) the original Playstation arrives and wipes away everything else like a tsunami.

Basically, none of those prior consoles stood a chance against the might of the newcomer Sony.
Old 24 November 2018, 14:47   #99
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

It's been a while since I've seen an AVGN episode. I wasn't at all surprised that James bashed the CD32 within an inch of its life... that goes without saying. What I can't get over is that all the potty talk hasn't changed a bit since day one. I expect he keeps this up because people like it? I can't help wondering what would happen if he just cut it out? Would he get complaints? Would people stop watching?

I don't find it offensive at all... just very boring. It's as if there's an unwritten rule that says videos should be x minutes long so James pads them out with faeces to meet the minimum specs.
Old 25 November 2018, 07:37   #100
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
What I can't get over is that all the potty talk hasn't changed a bit since day one. I expect he keeps this up because people like it?
Of course people like his imaginative potty talk, they're the ones who have suggested choice phrases for him to use.