English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 February 2013, 12:51   #1
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Real or virtual

Hi all...

I have recently cleaned out stuff a tad... unfortunately one of the things i tossed out my Cloanto stuff, and all my games.

Now, thinking of starting collecting these again from scratch, only this time round, i wanna do it right.

So, before i take "The plunge", what do guy reckon ? Getting a Real Amiga, or just stick with the virtual emulation (e.g.. Cloanto, and grab all .adf's/.hd's images again.)

Just to point out, i had am Amiga 500 back in 1992-94, and had Datel's Action Replay III, with that see-through joystick , alonk with the A570.

Awesome stuff.

I also agree, and now see why you guys continue to keep the hardware, coz its a treasure.

However, i don't want to make a big mistake here. So, which way should I go ?

* i'm willing to step up to an Amiga 1200 just for the hardware being available. And maybe, loose a bit of compatibility at the same time.
Old 05 February 2013, 13:09   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

I'd say go for an A1200 with an accelerator and a flash HDD in it. Decent performance and yet you still get much 'old-school' Amiga in it. All depends on how much you're willing to pay.
Old 05 February 2013, 13:17   #3
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
For WHDLoad games and A500 demos, its enough to have A1200 with just 8MB expansion. And lastly also WHDLOAD registered
Old 05 February 2013, 13:18   #4
amiga_Forever

ok. thanks... i also forgot to mention, if it's possible at all i haven't got a CRT, so video/audio connection could be problematic to LCD.
Old 05 February 2013, 13:21   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I'd say go for an A1200 with an accelerator and a flash HDD in it. Decent performance and yet you still get much 'old-school' Amiga in it. All depends on how much you're willing to pay.
+1 with WHDload you have over 2000 Games ready to rock n roll on an A1200, most playable with just a 4mb or 8mb Ram upgrade.

For the best experience grab yourself a 1230 Turbo board like one of the new ACA1232's or a Blizzard 1230(or similar) with 16mb+

It's really all you need for a total Amiga Gaming experience

Emulation is fine, but Gaming on a real Amiga just seems better (to me) and an A1200 + WHDLoad will give you access to so many great Games you'll never be able to play the all!

Another benefit of the 1230 is that you can play a few of the more demanding Games faster and smoother, you can also add a CDROM with a Squirrel SCSI (or Accelerator SCSi Kit) or even an IDE CDROM for access the CD32 Games and Amiga CD Games.

Really the A1200 should be all you ever need
Old 05 February 2013, 13:21   #6
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
LCD of yours have only DVI,VGA,HDMI input?
Old 05 February 2013, 13:23   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If it's about the games and demos and not the 'feel' I'd go with emulation again. You'll end up with spending quite a bit of money until you have a 'comfy' gaming A1200 and it might be worth to check if emulation suits your needs already. Just my 2 cent before the avalanche of 'Get an A1200 and an ACA1232 and a CF card!!!' posts kick it

Edit: Dammit I type too slow
Old 05 February 2013, 13:24   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
ok. thanks... i also forgot to mention, if it's possible at all i haven't got a CRT, so video/audio connection could be problematic to LCD.
There are several options such as the Indivision AGA or SVideo adapters and VGA upscalers that you can use to display on a modern LCD. If your TV has an RGB-Scart socket you can just grab an RGB-Scart cable and you're away
Old 05 February 2013, 14:05   #9
amiga_Forever

haha.. ok thanks..

I'm kinda "in-between"

Its between the gaming/workbench discs, to the "feel" of swapping BASS (15 times) , to the drive motor sound, not to mention the look.

Its the number #1 thing i head to that draws me to the advertisements of CU Amiga, or AF magazines i see PDF.

On the other hand, it looks like i need a PCB board to VGA converter, and not to mention 300+ title games and or utilities i would want to get, most may not even be avail on floppies anymore (even though i could convert them,,, If I'm gonna do that, i may as well use emulation since i'd be there already)

I think i made up my mind But I still miss the 'feel'... Unless i spend money on one, just to place it on my bookcase. like a collectable. 'People may even do that..'
Old 05 February 2013, 14:10   #10
roy bates

real amiga hardware ftw.
Old 05 February 2013, 14:24   #11
demolition
Unregistered User

If you decide to go for emulation, you can also get a quite good Amiga-feel by using a 50 Hz output mode. I think this should normally be possible when using HDMI. I have a PC connected to my TV with a DVI-HDMI cable running 1920x1080 at 50 Hz and this is very good with WinUAE with VSync. It can be a little tricky to get a proper picture with WinUAE if you haven't tried it before, otherwise I'm sure someone will attach a good preset in here if it's needed.

I'm hoping to see some proper shader support soon in WinUAE, like the recent screenshots from FS-UAE shows. Would be very cool to have a good CRT emulation.