English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 December 2013, 22:21   #41
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW View Post
Not sure how many did, but people generally copied each other's routines, so if one had it, it was almost certain another would have used it as well
Everyone still remembers that Günther Krämer is a thief
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 December 2013, 22:35   #42
IFW

In slightly more detail:
If you think about it, you move a flux transition within a given period of time which cannot and does not change - otherwise the capacity of a track using pre-compensation would be unpredictable. So effectively the sum of the subsequent timings do not change, just the position where the flux transition occurs gets advanced or delayed slightly.
If the algorithm used is not careful enough, compensating one flux transition too much could affect the readability of the other one...
Old 23 December 2013, 01:42   #43
JimDrew

Supercard Ami dumped data directly. Supercard Ami II used controllable buffers, and Supercard Ami III used a PEEL for control, which could delay the data. Actually, it normally delayed the data and could make data 'early' by not performing the delay.
Old 12 March 2014, 20:31   #44
JimDrew

SuperCard Pro .scp image file support added to E-UAE

Keir Fraser has added flux level read support into E-UAE. You can use .scp flux images now with this version of UAE.

Keir stated this in my forum:

"SCP read support is now added to my github-based branch of E-UAE: https://github.com/keirf/e-uae

Now I don't know how many people actually use E-UAE these days. If there is a better more current fork of UAE supporting Linux these days I am happy to port across to that too. For WinUAE someone else will have to do the work, but the code is fairly self-contained in file supercard_pro.c, it should be straightforwardly portable (just the system calls to modify in presumably obvious ways), and the license on that file is permissive (http://www.unlicense.org)."
Old 12 March 2014, 20:54   #45
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Looks fine, file io functions should have used "zfile" (making it completely host os independent and it also supports transparent unpacking of common archive formats) but it also looks really simple, does it really work with bit cell width based protections or does it only support non-variable bit cells?

But I am not going to do anything without few test images, as usual
Old 12 March 2014, 23:59   #46
JimDrew

I don't do Linux, so I am not sure how the support is implemented. I will ask Keir about that.
Old 13 March 2014, 00:57   #47
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post

Now I don't know how many people actually use E-UAE these days. If there is a better more current fork of UAE supporting Linux these days I am happy to port across to that too. For WinUAE someone else will have to do the work, but the code is fairly self-contained in file supercard_pro.c, it should be straightforwardly portable (just the system calls to modify in presumably obvious ways), and the license on that file is permissive (http://www.unlicense.org)."
Even I gave up on E-UAE... FS-UAE is where it's at on Linux and other *NIX these days. That or using WINE with WinUAE so we can use AMIX .
Old 13 March 2014, 10:49   #48
kaffer

I use E-UAE only because I have some custom patches on it and it is my comfortable place for hacking on disk stuff, I have a nice workflow with it.

But clearly FS-UAE is where it's at now for non-Windows, much newer and slicker and closer to WinUAE. I have ported to it: https://github.com/keirf/fs-uae/blob...ercard_pro.cpp

It uses the zfile operations as it should. Only the *NIX endian.h macros may need to be faked out for Windows.
Old 13 March 2014, 18:15   #49
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Merged but it won't be in public version until I can test it myself.
Old 13 March 2014, 23:35   #50
kaffer

I also have more testing (and it seems some fixing) to do. I will report progress. Is there a preferred way to receive WinUAE patches, or is pointing at patches in my FS-UAE repository sufficient?
Old 14 March 2014, 08:02   #51
kaffer

Bitcell density/timing info to UAE -- am I right that the tracktiming[] array values indicate the relative densities of bitcells within that track, rather than absolute density? e.g., in a uniform-density longtrack the array values would all be 1000, same as for a uniform-density standard track, even though the absolute bitcell times in the longtrack are shorter?

I think this is the case and I need to tweak my code to make it so...
Old 14 March 2014, 08:43   #52
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
I also have more testing (and it seems some fixing) to do. I will report progress. Is there a preferred way to receive WinUAE patches, or is pointing at patches in my FS-UAE repository sufficient?
FS-UAE repository is fine for me.
btw, num_tracks is not set (I guess it should be *num_tracks = header[7] + 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
Bitcell density/timing info to UAE -- am I right that the tracktiming[] array values indicate the relative densities of bitcells within that track, rather than absolute density? e.g., in a uniform-density longtrack the array values would all be 1000, same as for a uniform-density standard track, even though the absolute bitcell times in the longtrack are shorter?

I think this is the case and I need to tweak my code to make it so...
Yes, density is automatically calculated from track length. Plain long tracks should have zeroed or 1000 (zero in first slot = ignore whole array) tracktiming values.

Tracktiming array is relative and only needed if there are density changes during track. (copylock or similar protections).
Old 14 March 2014, 10:51   #53
kaffer

Thanks for that info. I have pushed a patch to my FS-UAE repo to set *num_tracks, improve reliability across multiple revolutions of a track, and to fix up the tracktiming array for long/short tracks. I'm hoping I am finished now, but needs a bit more testing.
Old 14 March 2014, 13:12   #54
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Nice work, I'll merge it back into FS-UAE when you think it is ready for that

Btw, how about moving supercard_pro.cpp up one level (to src) and put the header file in include? The code should be shareable between all UAE ports, right?
Old 14 March 2014, 13:20   #55
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Nice work, I'll merge it back into FS-UAE when you think it is ready for that

Btw, how about moving supercard_pro.cpp up one level (to src) and put the header file in include? The code should be shareable between all UAE ports, right?
I didn't really know what the intent is of FS-UAE's source directory structure, and od-fs/ seems to contain lots of other 'non-core' stuff, so there it went. If you prefer it at the top level I'm happy to move it.

I think some more testing with some more SCP dumps is needed before this could be considered for merging into a release. It still feels a bit flaky, but I'm not sure yet if that is flaky code or flaky dumps. At least I can run most dumps through my analyser and check that good data can be pulled from them, which is a good start or I'd go mental tracking good/bad/marginal dumps!
Old 14 March 2014, 13:40   #56
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I renamed filename to scp because every other disk "parser" has also short name (caps, fdi) and I am also not going to advertise full product names in source files
Old 14 March 2014, 13:43   #57
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I mainly want to have it in the same location with the same name as in WinUAE, so source comparison and code merging between FS-UAE and WinUAE is easier

scp.cpp is fine by me (I assume Toni put it in the WinUAE source root as well).
Old 14 March 2014, 13:54   #58
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yeah, it is in root and I also put it inside ifdefs like fdi and caps.
Old 14 March 2014, 14:47   #59
kaffer

Okay I moved it root, renamed to scp.{cpp,h}, made callsites in disk.cpp dependent on ifdef SCP.

Is there a preferred way to manage my repository, e.g. keep it rebased on top of the main fs-uae master branch, or merge in from there to maintain repo history? Coalesce all my changes, or keep full changelog history?
Old 14 March 2014, 14:53   #60
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I'll be happy to merge in a sequence of commits as long as the end result (I mean the state of the head commit) is good. No reason to lose history unless you want to / have a good reason to coalesce commits If you start experimenting with unrelated features, it's best if you keep the scp work in a separate branch so I can pull from that.
AdSense AdSense