English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 05 August 2018, 19:00   #1
jotd
This cat is no more

Milkytracker - top frustration

I just downloaded MilkyTracker windows. Looks cool, reminds me of old Octamed/Protracker

I created one track with bass (sample)

Now I loaded another instrument and I'm unable to use it. If I change "1" to "2" in the instrument name area (in the tracker, number after the note), then nothing plays... Sample editor is able to play the sample though.

I've successfully used a lot of trackers, I think I understand the concepts and that one looks very promising, but now I'm puzzled. Is that because I'm not using instruments, just samples? really frustrating

(of course I've read the manual and watched tutorials, but didn't see this very basic operation)
Old 05 August 2018, 19:50   #2
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

You should just need to change the instrument number and it will be fine. Just load one sample per instrument, which I assume you have.
Old 05 August 2018, 20:03   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

I don't have any instruments, just samples (on the right). Do I have to create one instrument out of each sample?
Old 05 August 2018, 20:20   #4
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I don't have any instruments, just samples (on the right). Do I have to create one instrument out of each sample?
yes. multiple samples on one instrument can be made to be used as a "drum rack" and such under "instrument edit".
Old 05 August 2018, 20:23   #5
daxb

About two weeks ago I walked in the same pitfall. Seems Milkytracker is a bit different in this case. As Marlon_ said you can select different Instruments and each instrument you can load one sample. At least it works here on RPi. However, I've no manual and I can't say if it can work in an other better way. I think it must or have the Samples 0-F some meaning?
Old 05 August 2018, 20:29   #6
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
yes. multiple samples on one instrument can be made to be used as a "drum rack" and such under "instrument edit".
I tried this but if I load a second sample on the same instrument number it only shows the sample name but I can't access/play the second sample. Only the first sample is played. At Instrument Edit I don't see a possibility to select different samples.
Old 05 August 2018, 20:29   #7
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
About two weeks ago I walked in the same pitfall. Seems Milkytracker is a bit different in this case. As Marlon_ said you can select different Instruments and each instrument you can load one sample. At least it works here on RPi. However, I've no manual and I can't say if it can work in an other better way. I think it must or have the Samples 0-F some meaning?
You can assign different samples to different keys on one instrument, you do this in "Instrument edit". This is nothing new, it's the same thing in Fasttracker II.

Quote:
I tried this but if I load a second sample on the same instrument number it only shows the sample name but I can't access/play the second sample. Only the first sample is played. At Instrument Edit I don't see a possibility to select different samples.
Click on the keys on the piano in "instrument edit" and you'll see the number go up. The number on the keys is the sample identifier

Last edited by Marlon_; 05 August 2018 at 20:37.
Old 05 August 2018, 20:44   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

doesn't seem too trivial after all. Would be worth a mention in the manual

Ok, got it: load a sample, then give it a name in the "instruments" window. Click on next empty instrument slot.
Repeat.

The multi-sample stuff is still a mystery to me.

Now, next problem, when I press keyboard keys, the note is inserted but with NO instrument!!! I have to add it manually whaaaat?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	193
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	59130

Last edited by jotd; 05 August 2018 at 21:01.
Old 05 August 2018, 20:45   #9
daxb

Ok, that works. Thanks Marlon_! This means I can spread up to 16 samples for one instrument on the keyboard. But only on different notes? So can't play all samples on one fixed note. Sounds not very clever but maybe I miss something.
Old 05 August 2018, 20:45   #10
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
doesn't seem too trivial after all. Would be worth a mention in the manual
I think they expect people to have used Fasttracker2 before using Milkytracker, hah.

Quote:
Ok, that works. Thanks Marlon_! This means I can spread up to 16 samples for one instrument on the keyboard. But only on different notes? So can't play all samples on one fixed note. Sounds not very clever but maybe I miss something.
This is probably mainly used for drum-racks and FX instruments. Milkytracker is simply a clone of Fasttracker2 a DOS application, so it shares about the same limitations.

Last edited by Marlon_; 05 August 2018 at 20:51.
Old 05 August 2018, 21:03   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

can you explain how to play the note + the selected sample ? (see picture)
Old 05 August 2018, 21:04   #12
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Now, next problem, when I press keyboard keys, the note is inserted but with NO instrument!!! I have to add it manually whaaaat?

Attachment 59130
Have you tried selecting the name instead of the number?
Old 05 August 2018, 21:52   #13
jotd
This cat is no more

yeah and it doesn't select anything. Only the number is selected, not the name...
Old 05 August 2018, 21:53   #14
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
yeah and it doesn't select anything. Only the number is selected, not the name...
Odd, sounds like a bug to me. You should just need to select the instrument in the list and play the notes. Have you tried an older version if the problem persists?
Old 05 August 2018, 22:52   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

yes, it was a bug. Closing & restarting did it. Thanks

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 August 2018, 22:53   #16
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
yes, it was a bug. Closing & restarting did it. Thanks

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 August 2018, 12:58   #17
daxb

Your you using the newest version 1.02? If yes, when you load a sample as instrument does the name of the sample only appear in the sample list window (like here with V0.90.86) or also in the instrument list? I really dislike that the instrument list don't get the sample name.
Old 06 August 2018, 13:01   #18
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Your you using the newest version 1.02? If yes, when you load a sample as instrument does the name of the sample only appear in the sample list window (like here with V0.90.86) or also in the instrument list? I really dislike that the instrument list don't get the sample name.
It's not a bug, it's a feature. Yes, it's still the same in v1.02.
Old 06 August 2018, 15:39   #19
daxb

I didn't say that it is a bug but what is the feature? That you can give instruments a name?
Old 06 August 2018, 15:43   #20
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
I didn't say that it is a bug but what is the feature? That you can give instruments a name?
Yes, you can name instruments. You just double-click the instrument field and type what you'd like it to be.