English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 07 April 2011, 01:39   #1
Mr B

Custom boot floppy. Limited knowledge.

This is what i did. (Please, be gentle with the ridicule)

I took the Install adf from the Workbench 3.1 set, and deleted the 3 drawers (HDSetup, HDTools, and Install) as well as the installer tool. This gave me about 611K free space, which i then used to simply copy over a few things i thought i needed. When all was said and done, i got a working/loaded scsi.device on the floppy, (a copy of the one on the harddrive) but thats pretty much as far as i got. I was hoping to simply put the filesystem (Um, tools?) from L in L on the floppy drive, and copy the filesystems "Tools" drawer to the floppy, but that seams to have decided not to work that great. Not at all, to be honest. And i'm pretty much out of space. I got 28K free, and need 41K for asl.library, and then it LOOKS like it works. No idea if it will actually do anything else then look pretty, but...

Any ideas? With the amount of skills i got i need something like a very simply menu system, or a point and click environment. Even if i might actually be able to throw a few handtyped commands in to the system today, in 6-9 months when i need to fix something that has gone wrong, i wont remember. So in an effort to make the disk useful in the future, i have to keep it fool proof.

Thank you for taking the time to read this incomprehensible mess...
B!
Old 07 April 2011, 11:43   #2
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I use something like imploder or powerpacker to reduce the sizes of the executables I need

check the libs: for libarys you don`t use and put ones you do like imploder/powerpacker there
Old 07 April 2011, 13:38   #3
Hewitson

I really don't understand why you'd want/need to make a boot disk..

If you elaborate on why you need one I'm sure it will make it easier for people to help you
Old 07 April 2011, 13:52   #4
khph_re

As CosmicFrog said Power packer is your friend here.
And I don't know how I did it back then. But I had a standard bootblock that that loaded the rest of the disk as a Diskspare disk, which had even more room on it.
Old 07 April 2011, 14:06   #5
TCD

What about a blank disk and 'install df0:' ? Then copy the needed files over and create a startup-sequence.
Old 07 April 2011, 14:42   #6
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I really don't understand why you'd want/need to make a boot disk..
With PFS3 on the system partition, if anything goes wrong, i want some means of accessing tools and utilities to at least try and fix it, rather then starting over from scratch. At least thats how i motivate it.
Another reason could be to try and learn something, that i will never ever need again, just for the purpose of knowing more 'useless' stuff. I cant win the "he who has most when he dies, wins!" so i made my own cathegory.
;- )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
What about a blank disk and 'install df0:' ? Then copy the needed files over and create a startup-sequence.
I'm sure this would work great, if i had any idea what your talking about. would "install df0" be the equivalent of "sys c:\ a:" for a old dos system? (Meaning, it pretty much provides basic boot abilities, and drops you at a prompt)

I'll play with it, but WinUAE is currently formating a new partition. Experimenting with sizes, and where the limits are. As expected, 80GB harddrives are way overkill on AmigaOS3.1, and creating even only a few partitions seams to make things go wrong.. fast. It would help if i knew what i was doing, but i'm trying to figure it out as i go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
I use something like imploder or powerpacker to reduce the sizes of the executables I need

check the libs: for libarys you don`t use and put ones you do like imploder/powerpacker there
I'll try and combine the advices in this thread so far, and see what i can come up with. I read up on Imploder, and it looks like a neat thing. Haven't tried it on any of the files yet, i have a fairly widespread approach vector, everything at once, one step at the time, in the hope that i might learn something that gets me a step further here and there, every now and then.

Thank you all for your input.
B!
Old 07 April 2011, 15:06   #7
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
would "install df0" be the equivalent of "sys c:\ a:" for a old dos system?
Kinda, yes. If you know DOS, you would place an equivalent to 'autoexec.bat' called 'startup-sequence' in a folder called 's' on that disk. If you want to show the WB screen, just copy 'LoadWB' to the disk and call it in the startup-sequence (might need some other small bits from the WB disk as well, would have to check). Would leave plenty of space for your 'workload'.

Last edited by TCD; 07 April 2011 at 15:20. Reason: deleted one 'the'...
Old 07 April 2011, 15:16   #8
Mr B

Easy enough, well within my grasp. (with any luck extra bits needed will give a error message that actually is understandable.)
s:startup-sequence is a bit of a mystery for me still, i added the loadmodule line for the scsi.device, and got out of there b4 i messed anything up, but in this case it should pretty much be all about cutting it down, to eliminate unneeded items.
I think i'll pretty much steal the startup-sequence from my current floppy image, it's pretty short, as a result of it being the install disk original with a single line added for the load module.

Someone with a bit of knowledge would probably be able to create a "menu" with the tools on the disk, and simply call them by the item number on the list, but if i can get away with workbench on the floppy, then (for now) that will cover my needs, and i might actually be able to do it with my current skill-set.
Thanks.
B!
Old 07 April 2011, 16:07   #9
ajk

A dead-simple way of making a menu is to print the index out in the startup-sequence and just rename all the programs "1", "2" and so on Then the corresponding program will start when entered once the startup-sequence has been run (and the system drops into the command line window). Slightly more elegant is to leave the program names intact and use the alias command or some little scripts that call the program in question.
Old 07 April 2011, 16:11   #10
ppill
CON: artist

So you want to create a emergency floppy with some useful utilities for retrieving lost partition, files etc.? From scratch? And learn what's actually going when the system boots and/or what is needed to make the required software work?

A good start would be to prepare a blank floppy. Just format one and in shell type "install df0:" (if you're using the internal drive). This will give you a floppy that boots to a shell window and lets you use the internal commands stored in ROM. Just type resident and see what they are... that's a good start Next thing would be to write a startup-sequence, but that's next...
Old 07 April 2011, 16:53   #11
TCD

@ppill

Quote:
*cough*
Old 07 April 2011, 18:30   #12
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Actual now I think a bit more this is a fantastic opertunity to get a little guide sorted out on makeing a boot disk.

The real basics have been coverd, actualy making the disk bootable
next as was suggested would be to solve some of the mysteries of the start up sequence and its sibling user startup

then I would have the basic draws on the sys: disk that is
c:
devs:
l:
libs:
s:

there are a couple more but not essentialy essential at this stage

I made my life easyer back when by haveing another floppy drive attached thus doubling the amount of FD space i had to play with.
I never really botherd with menus but rather used the icons from workbench, thats not to say something like toolsdeamon can`t be used as haveing progs on the menu can save a lot of routing through windows and draws

happy hunting and plz tell us how you get on

also while you are learning the system its best to keep your HDD 4gig, after when you have a better understanding you can then format the rest

Last edited by cosmicfrog; 07 April 2011 at 18:36.
Old 07 April 2011, 19:12   #13
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
@ppill

*cough*
hehe, okey, okey you got there first
Old 08 April 2011, 00:12   #14
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
also while you are learning the system its best to keep your HDD 4gig, after when you have a better understanding you can then format the rest
I've figured. Even as it's not supposed to, Cosmos scsi.device betas wrap around at the 4GB border, and overwrites the system, partition tables, everything. Kinda amusing, but for now i'm hunting the "limit" and will stay just behind it.

Again, thank you all for your help, and kind advice. Even duplicate advice is helpful to some extent, it proves the first one is probably right. ;- )
B!

Edit
"install df0" yields:
object not found
Install failed

I'm thinking this might be the result of the system not being "installed" but rather copied straight over from a backup-folder? Or is there something else wrong?

(I realised i might have some explaining to do. I've been fiddling with the disc partitions so much, and losing data over and over, that i made a backup folder on a mounted folder, and simply recreated the partitions with new sizes as i experimented. After formating the bootable partition, i simply copied back the system, and ejected the "work in progress" boot floppy i made.)
/Edit

Last edited by Mr B; 08 April 2011 at 14:51.