English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 April 2002, 07:55   #1
Retroid

Question Illegal operation / BSOD

Hi,

Took some time out from emulating my beloved AMiga, but since I upgraded to my brand spanking new Athlon XP 1800+ with 256mb RAM at xmas, I thought I'd give it a go. eariler today.

Downloaded the latest WinUAE, plus the latest AIAB just so I have a lovely Workbench to start off with before I tweak it to oblivion (ah, the joys of finding new utils to pervert Workbench & Intuition to my will

Ran it.

Asked if I wanted to check the 16-bit pixel format.

I clicked yes.

It crashed with an illegal instruction:

"WINUAE caused an invalid page fault in
module WINUAE.EXE at 015f:005115dd."

Ok....

I ran it again, skipped the test. Launched the emulation....

Blue Screen of Death.

Hmm..

A problem with AIAB or doesn't WinUAE like my VooDoo Banshee? ~_~

Old 18 April 2002, 08:14   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Just cancel the dialog (bug, will be fixed in next release) and press "detect 16-bit" from display-tab, then it works and hopefully it fixes your BSOD too...
Old 18 April 2002, 09:22   #3
jmmijo

I also noticed you have a Voodoo Banshee video card, make sure you have at least the latest BETA drivers from Voodoofiles.com or a similar site. There are some known issues with the Banshee drivers so this may or may not help. Unfortunately, IMO, 3Dfx messed up on this chipset, however they resolved most of these issues with the release of the Voodoo 3/4/5 series.

The other thing I have to say is that at this point the video card is the weakest link and a faster one would really help you notice a performance increase and more stable drivers for sure.
Old 18 April 2002, 10:41   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
I also noticed you have a Voodoo Banshee video card, make sure you have at least the latest BETA drivers from Voodoofiles.com or a similar site. There are some known issues with the Banshee drivers so this may or may not help. Unfortunately, IMO, 3Dfx messed up on this chipset, however they resolved most of these issues with the release of the Voodoo 3/4/5 series.

The other thing I have to say is that at this point the video card is the weakest link and a faster one would really help you notice a performance increase and more stable drivers for sure.
Doesn't anything finished ever get released on the PC? Is it a pre-requisite that it still be buggy, problematic and still in beta in order to get released? And people just accept this...this type of performance makes companies rich these days. Be afraid...stop the world, I wanna get off.
Old 18 April 2002, 16:57   #5
Retroid

Eek

Well, skipped the test & clicked the 'detect 16 bit' toggle, and that worked. Problem is I still get the BSOD >(

As for having a Banshee, I just had this lying around after my flakey AT mobo wouldn't accept it, and at least it's better than my old S3 Virge which I'd been using for years (in conjunction with a VooDoo 2, natch)

All this is more than a bit of a bugger, really, as I was really looking forward to playing about with a far friendlier, more flexible, faster & less buggy OS than the Windows crap I've had to put up with for the last few years.

Old 18 April 2002, 20:47   #6
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Retroid
Well, skipped the test & clicked the 'detect 16 bit' toggle, and that worked. Problem is I still get the BSOD >(
Hmm, not sure then about the BSOD, is it the same module, i.e., WINUAE.EXE? Also you didn't mention the particular flavor of Windoze either, this could help determine the cause.

Quote:
As for having a Banshee, I just had this lying around after my flakey AT mobo wouldn't accept it, and at least it's better than my old S3 Virge which I'd been using for years (in conjunction with a VooDoo 2, natch)
Okay, yes better then the S3 Virge, but costs on even a TnT2 or even a lower end Radeon card are around $100 or less. The Banshee is not a true AGP card, if you install or have installed the latest DirectX and run dxdiag from the run line you will notice there is no AGP texture testing. Of course if this is the PCI version of the Banshee, then of course this will not show up either

Quote:
All this is more than a bit of a bugger, really, as I was really looking forward to playing about with a far friendlier, more flexible, faster & less buggy OS than the Windows crap I've had to put up with for the last few years.
Well Windoze 98-SE seems to be the best for just pure gaming, this will be the build 2222a release. If you want the look and feel of Win2k/XP then go with Windoze ME. Windoze 2k Pro is great for a more stable Workstation environement and of course there are those that prefer XP and all it's bloatware thrown on. Of course the trick is knowing how to tweak the OS, any flavor, after the initial install. I'm sorry I don't need things like Remote Desktop or Automatic Updates running in the background. This is great for a person whom doesn't want to remember to do these things and/or needs remote admin help from a friend or relative
Old 19 April 2002, 04:37   #7
Retroid

My Windows is 98 flavour, not SE. Yes, the BSOD is in the WINUAE app, nothing else. I'm thinking of downloading the previous version and giving that a test, see if I have the same results.

I'm aware of all the probs of the Banshee, I'm gunning for either a Kryo II XS (or whatver it's called) or a GeForce 3 TI if I have the cash, so long as it has an S-Video out I'll be a happy DVD & gameplaying bunny ^_^

BTW, about all this dual monitor stuff; I've heard the latest cards can treat the TV-out as a seperate output, so you can have different things running on either screen. Is it easy to config that, so I can play games & emulators on the TV with my joypad while my wife can surf the 'net on the monitor?

You know, just so long as they don't share input devices.

Just wonderin'

Old 19 April 2002, 09:31   #8
jmmijo

I suppose so, I just made up a new gaming rig for myself, it has the Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti 4600, it has the standard VGA connector along with the S-Video and DVI connectors. It uses something called nView to use multiple monitors, not sure if the signal can be split as I only use the VGA output to my 19" monitor.

I myslef really like the ATI cards for the exceptional DVD playback qualities so if this is a big deal for you, then consider a Redeon 7200/7500/8500 series card. If not then the choices you mentioned should be good as well
Old 20 April 2002, 11:05   #9
Retroid

Well, I'll be buggered.

Just tried to load up WinUAE again, in a futile effort to get any further with it, and the little sod has worked!

No idea why at all.

I must say, I like this JIT lark - never thought I'd see myself owning an Amiga which boasted a speed of over 500 MIPs according to syspeed ^_^

Cheers to everyone who offered help & advice, at any rate, it was hugely appreciated

Old 21 April 2002, 16:57   #10
Retroid

I think Ive worked out what was causing WinUAE to lock on my machine. I've got a program running in the background called Download Mage, and I discovered quite by accident that removing it before I run WinUAE allows it to run fine.

So, just so others know....