English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 November 2005, 05:48   #1
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Promote AMIGA to a college

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes!

For the last couple of months i have been doing OCNW course at college including operating systems, hardware and networking (PC of course)

The Tutor that is taking the Operating systems course is an Apple Mac fan however in his early days he had an Amiga and he knows the relative question about amiga/apple processing speed vs raw power of pc processor's of today. However i think he lost the edge on current Amiga fare about 10/12 years ago, i wish to make some kind of presentation to go on a pc via winuae etc over a projector with some interactivity (video) ie some games and some applications like pro tracker / music, some art programs like dpaint and some of the finest games like megalomania etc.

I'd like to show him and the students (of course i am one of them) in say a 15 20 minute demonstration about how Amiga's used to do what they did and on so little processor speed etc! As we all know the American ethos is if it's slow throw more money at it never mind optimizing code etc like we did on Amiga!

I'd also like to throw in some kind of demo program that would have to be done on the pc with stats / bar charts etc on Amiga Vs PC of the current day!

Phew it's a biggey i know but has anyone any ideas how to put all this together i am pretty good at graphics and can handle stuff like swish (flash for idiots) and various other presentation programs!

it would be my homage to Amiga computers the owners fucked off but we are still alive n kicking!

Any ideas would be greatfully received!

Thanks!
Old 02 November 2005, 06:44   #2
woody57

Exclamation WOW a CHANCE for amiga to impress

I think this needs moving to amiga scene as its a CURRENT DEMO project really !

A good start would be borrowing a few avi clips from

http://www.recordedamigagames.org

And adding some of the other scene DEMO clips maybe from Bippym

Would be nice if Fromwithin or another amiga music master could supply footage of Bars & pipes running a midi setup too !

As theres more to the active Amiga communtiy than just archive sites all these areas COULD be included IMHO
Old 02 November 2005, 09:01   #3
Mikey_C

Well the owners may have buggered off, but the amiga is about to have a re-birth, see my post about hyperion-entertainment's OS4 website.

Also there is an interesting movie about amigaOS and draggable screens it's available from... http://uniweb.free.fr/os4videos/os4intuition.avi (Windoze can't do that!)
Old 02 November 2005, 09:40   #4
keropi

you will look a BIG nerd making a presentation for the amiga VS PC, something that in reality has been determined...
Old 02 November 2005, 12:09   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Personally if you're gonna use demo clips I'd recommend using WinUAE but if you want a copy of the demodvd for this purpose then please let me know, it is fully downloadable if you'd rather get it that way.
Old 03 November 2005, 03:55   #6
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Nice response guys! The whole reason i started this was because A: i thought the Tutor might appreciate that Amiga still exists even if in a less commercial sense and B: to show one of the students what a tool he was for chucking a perfectly good Amiga A1200 in a skip (if nothing else he could of slapped it on Ebay).

It wasn't my intention to call it PC vs Amiga it just sorta came out that way! what i meant was an Amiga of it's hay day could do anything a PC equivlent of the same time and better could do. I just want to emphasize how the Amiga can do what it can on such low speed) Also please note i lost touch with Amiga and all it's advancements about 1995 so i missed a few years myself until Winuae came about. I know Amiga advanced in some ways but those where always out of my reach ie A4000's etc so my knowledge is really only uptill A1200 with expansions such as blizzard boards / added cdrom drives (squirell interface etc) a couple of my m8's had Amiga towers (hacked Pc cases) and i got myself one around 1999 but it was such a bad job i gave up on it got rid and replaced it with a proper vanilla A1200 i even picked up a 2nd A1200 with a port for PC monitor (though it's not got flicker fixing or anything fancy)

Anyway from here on in i don't wish to offend any guys who own Amiga One's etc and all manner of new stuff ie Keropi half of that stuff on your spec list is a mystery to me m8 i just don't know anything about lets call it power Amiga's etc

What i am planning to do is wrap up this presentation in powerpoint or something like that with some graphics and maybe some nice music with some info about Amiga's what they could do (with examples of video which are clickable to full screen to be watched etc so they need to be short to a point however anyone who wants to watch further on each clip would be able to at their leisure sort of thing) At this Point your DVD would be very handy Bippym If you wouldnt mind sending it to me that would be fantastic as i'd love to watch it on the xbox on the TV besides this project!

QUOTE ( i don't know how to sub quote this so i wont try so i don't loose all i have written)

Would be nice if Fromwithin or another amiga music master could supply footage of Bars & pipes running a midi setup too !

END QUOTE: Yes i would love to see that too some use of applications on the Amiga and a midi setup would be brilliant too as the tutor was banging on about how muso's have adopted Apple's in that situation!

Well thanks guys i hope your still intrested i'm no genious when it comes to putting stuff like this together but i am willing to give it a go!

Thanks to all who replied!

Last edited by sarek2k; 03 November 2005 at 04:01.