English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 November 2022, 15:06   #21
Adropac2
Zone Friend

the Amiga version is the definitive version I'd say because of the great music atmospheric by Dave Whitaker but the C64 is very good. I got up to around level 1100 back in the day and still have my codes. It would be nice to think that I go back it actually with a mind to finish those 10,000 levels

Luckily I don't think it gets progressively harder after so many levels but I could be wrong
Old 29 November 2022, 10:29   #22
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Gee, ask 10 people what the best C64 game is and you get 10 different answers Its almost like the system has thousands of games.
Such is the beauty of computer retrogaming. Even if you had a C64 BITD, you will have missed or overlooked so many classics - maybe you arrived after Beach-Head, Archon, Impy Mish, Bruce Lee etc, or left before Creatures, Mayhem, First Samuari, Lions of the Universe etc, or didn't have a disk drive, or didn't fully explore adventures or RPGs, or only had NTSC rather than PAL - still loads that you missed.

And if, like me, you went from Spectrum to Amiga, you missed Cosmic Causeway, Project Firestart, Wasteland, Racing Destruction Set...
Old 02 December 2022, 19:35   #23
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Just had a quick go with the Amiga version and played level 0. Jumped to level 22 (96779955) then to level 60 (17474995). Now at level 99 (08568571) .
Old 02 December 2022, 20:55   #24
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
the Amiga version is the definitive version I'd say because of the great music atmospheric by Dave Whitaker but the C64 is very good. I got up to around level 1100 back in the day and still have my codes. It would be nice to think that I go back it actually with a mind to finish those 10,000 levels

Luckily I don't think it gets progressively harder after so many levels but I could be wrong
Agreed, the Amiga music is absolutely superb
Old 02 December 2022, 21:55   #25
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote View Post
https://www.goodolddays.net/game/id%...-Sentinel.html

Definitely in my top 10 on that system!
Like others pointed out... no.

Turrican

Turrican 2

Bubble Bobble

IK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Gee, ask 10 people what the best C64 game is and you get 10 different answers Its almost like the system has thousands of games.
That is why RetroGamer's top 10 made me always laugh...
Old 02 December 2022, 22:04   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
That is why RetroGamer's top 10 made me always laugh...
You mean different people like different things? No way

Not sure about 'best', but I'd give The Sentinal a 'very impressive'.
Old 03 December 2022, 05:21   #27
ImmortalA1000

Sentinel is bloody excellent....unless you mean the other game with the same name.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 December 2022, 11:02   #28
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Just had a quick go with the Amiga version and played level 0. Jumped to level 22 (96779955) then to level 60 (17474995). Now at level 99 (08568571) .
Thumbs up
Old 03 December 2022, 11:21   #29
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote View Post
Thumbs up
Seeing how the sentinel & sentries turn, then moving quickly is the clue

Edit : https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...28#post1582528

Last edited by malko; 17 December 2022 at 23:03. Reason: First 999 codes added to HOL
Old 03 December 2022, 12:02   #30
Jope
-

Quote:
The difficulty goes back and forth. Sometimes you end up in a really difficult place and have to go back to your previous code and complete that level again with a different amount of energy remaining before you jump forward, so that you get an easier level instead. :-)

You can make trees and boulders before you jump forward if you want to fine tune where you end up.
Old 28 March 2024, 11:20   #31
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The difficulty goes back and forth. [...]
Quote:
[...] Luckily I don't think it gets progressively harder after so many levels but I could be wrong
The game mix difficulty, so you may have a relatively flat level with only a sentinel and then jump to a level with a lot of dunes and several Sentries helping the Sentinel catching you. Also, most of the time, in mountainous landscape, you will begin (deep) between dunes and escaping the starting place will be the most challenging.
I think at max the game propose you to escape the view of 8 guards (7 Sentries and 1 Sentinel).
Old 28 March 2024, 11:30   #32
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It's too slow on the C64. Still a brilliant game though if you are patient.
Old 28 March 2024, 12:11   #33
demether

the sentinel is the same kind of games than midwinter or elite 2 : games too complex for me on the good old days with my teenager brain, but incredible to rediscover these days with my old cheesy brain. Especially since now I can read english.
Old 28 March 2024, 13:33   #34
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I am a massive fan of The Sentinel. If you've not tried it, and you have a VR headset, try Augmentinel the open source remake which includes a VR mode. The game gets very real and haunting. Switch between BBC/Amiga/C64 sounds. (Works without VR headset too)

https://simonowen.com/spectrum/augmentinel/
https://github.com/simonowen/augmentinel

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

A new remake called Pinnacle has just been released (I prefer Augmentinel though)

https://viperfish.com.au/games/pinnacle.html

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by alexh; 28 March 2024 at 13:40.
Old 28 March 2024, 16:35   #35
Korban

Great game for sure, but I think the C64 version is really testing the lines between technically possible and playable (without some form of acceleration).

Ive always found Space Rogue to be one of the better examples of a complex game with 3d visuals running at a good speed on the c64 that's also a good game.
Old 28 March 2024, 16:46   #36
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
Ive always found Space Rogue to be one of the better examples of a complex game with 3d visuals running at a good speed on the c64 that's also a good game.
Yup, amazing game on the C64! I've always especially liked about it that neither the role-playing, nor the space shooter part are too complex. It makes for a good balance.
Old 28 March 2024, 18:34   #37
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I am a massive fan of The Sentinel. If you've not tried it, and you have a VR headset, try Augmentinel the open source remake which includes a VR mode. The game gets very real and haunting. Switch between BBC/Amiga/C64 sounds. (Works without VR headset too)
Augmentinel is awesome. Witchcraft how it works so well. And plays well in VR.
Old 28 March 2024, 23:22   #38
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post

https://simonowen.com/spectrum/augmentinel/
https://github.com/simonowen/augmentinel

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

A new remake called Pinnacle has just been released (I prefer Augmentinel though)

https://viperfish.com.au/games/pinnacle.html

[ Show youtube player ]

Was not aware of these versions. Thanks a lot for the links and videos
Old 30 March 2024, 12:27   #39
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
The game mix difficulty, so you may have a relatively flat level with only a sentinel and then jump to a level with a lot of dunes and several Sentries helping the Sentinel catching you. Also, most of the time, in mountainous landscape, you will begin (deep) between dunes and escaping the starting place will be the most challenging.
I think at max the game propose you to escape the view of 8 guards (7 Sentries and 1 Sentinel).
Talking about this mixity and challenging starts, here is a a montanious challenging start example on Amiga : level 3'111 (only 2 Sentries + 1 Sentinel) ; code : 796 49 758.
When you succeed it, depending on how much trees you have absorbed, you can jump to level 3'151 which is a quite flat landscape with 3 Sentries + 1 Sentinel (code : 423 80 319) . Then, depending on your energy, you can jump to the low dune level 3'188 which has only 1 Sentinel (code : 489 71 578) .
If you want to try a level with 7 Sentries + 1 Sentinel (the max I have encountered so far), you can try level 804 ; code 009 04 396.
Old 30 March 2024, 18:50   #40
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Thanks Jope sounds like a useful tip

And Malko: I recall one or two really deep levels at the start. 8 guards, 7 sentries sounds both fun and a nightmare and I don't think I've had close to that