English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 December 2023, 11:47   #1
carrion

Robot Jet Action 2 - OCS game in development

Hello All
I don't know if you already heard/read about a project I started - Robot Jet Action 2 for Amiga OCS.
But I think it's about time to start thread here as the project is getting real.
I post about the progress on my blog and soon also on itch.io but I thought posting here to get some feedback, ideas, critique, etc from the EAB community.

So here it is. Robot Jet Action 2 is a continuation of my C64 game released in 2022. It's going to be again an arcade action platformer - a mixture of styles of BombJack, Bubble Bobble, Snow Bros and the likes. Hopefully more game mechanics will be added.

Many things are under development a lot of things still to be planned and decided but I felt inspired by Tigerskunk's and his great Inviyya so I try my chance to do something close to it's quality.
As for now there are two status updates and details about the game on my blog at: https://retronavigator.com/
But I will share further updates also here in this thread.

The next big update with video and more details about game development process is planned early new year 2024. But please ask If you any have questions.
btw: C64 RJA game can be found here: https://carrion64.itch.io/robot-jet-action
Old 18 December 2023, 11:50   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

That looks really neat
Old 18 December 2023, 13:14   #3
DanyPPC

I like this game on little Commodore, and I'll be glad to play it also on Amiga
Old 18 December 2023, 19:34   #4
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrion View Post
Hello All
I don't know if you already heard/read about a project I started - Robot Jet Action 2 for Amiga OCS.
But I think it's about time to start thread here as the project is getting real.
I post about the progress on my blog and soon also on itch.io but I thought posting here to get some feedback, ideas, critique, etc from the EAB community.

So here it is. Robot Jet Action 2 is a continuation of my C64 game released in 2022. It's going to be again an arcade action platformer - a mixture of styles of BombJack, Bubble Bobble, Snow Bros and the likes. Hopefully more game mechanics will be added.

Many things are under development a lot of things still to be planned and decided but I felt inspired by Tigerskunk's and his great Inviyya so I try my chance to do something close to it's quality.
As for now there are two status updates and details about the game on my blog at: https://retronavigator.com/
But I will share further updates also here in this thread.

The next big update with video and more details about game development process is planned early new year 2024. But please ask If you any have questions.
btw: C64 RJA game can be found here: https://carrion64.itch.io/robot-jet-action
Thanks for the kind words, mate...
Your game looks already fabulous...
Old 18 December 2023, 19:41   #5
nikosidis

This is one of the better games I played recent years on C64. Completed the game and now very happy to hear that the follow up will be for the Amiga Keep on the great work! Will for sure buy it when ready.
Old 16 January 2024, 16:28   #6
carrion

Hi all!
Thanks for the nice feedback so far. Development of RJA2 continues. And here's another update I'd like to share with the Amiga community.
A lot is happening in the area of development in terms of code and gfx, but also tools which I need to build to develop this game.

The biggest announcement is that the music for the game will be composed by Kamil 'Jammer' Wolnikowski. Jammer is an author of original soundtrack for RJA on C64. He is super-talented and well known musician on the demoscene.
I continue discussion with one another great musician to include his music in the game too, as there's a lot of music needed in the game. I will come up with the news when ready.

The new things implemented in the game engine are:
- Level screen scrolling in 4 directions
- Initial boss level implementation
- Initial implementation of the worldmap / level selection screen
- what you see is going to be World #1 and Gfx for World #1 is almost done.
- Initial implementation of bigger enemies (wider that 16 pixels sprites)
- A lot of new minor features and bug fixes

I needed tools to make the development process fast and as effortless as possible. So I started to develop my own set of tools. In next video I will show you what I've created in terms of tools and how it works.
I'm a pixel artist so I needed visual tools for the things i implement in code, so I will show you how I implemented the tools I use now.

More screenshots on my blog: http://retronavigator.com/2024/01/16...on-2-update-2/

I still add new features and ideas I have. So I'd say the gameplay is now around 60-65% feature completed. A lot of work is still ahead of me.

Development continues. Feedback is welcome.
Now Enjoy the video. Watch till the end

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 January 2024, 17:16   #7
lionagony

Excellent pixel art, looking forward to playing it.
Old 16 January 2024, 17:39   #8
DanyPPC

Excellent, all graphics and sound !
Old 16 January 2024, 19:44   #9
BSzili
old chunk of coal

This look beautiful!
Old 17 January 2024, 07:21   #10
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Loving it already. . Fantastic art style and straightforward, yet addictive gameplay.
Old 17 January 2024, 07:58   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Love the style and the jet pack looks really interesting
Old 17 January 2024, 09:06   #12
AmyMor

I foresee something very original and interesting, congratulations indeed. Request only

PLEASE MAKE IT LESS RUTHLESS THAN THE C64 VERSION!
Old 17 January 2024, 09:08   #13
jurassicman

Very very interesting game!
Keep up the good work!
Old 17 January 2024, 11:21   #14
acidbottle

Great pixel art, hope you get this project running exactly how you want it.

Will keep an eye out.
Old 17 January 2024, 11:33   #15
carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyMor View Post
I foresee something very original and interesting, congratulations indeed. Request only

PLEASE MAKE IT LESS RUTHLESS THAN THE C64 VERSION!
Hahaha. Thanks! and yes there were several voices from the players that the C64 version is really hard. I even saw YT videos where 1st level was hard to beat for some. On the other hand I saw a guy who beat the game with no life lost in 20 minutes
But seriously I will make it a bit easier so all can enjoy it.
Old 17 January 2024, 12:58   #16
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrion View Post
Hi all!
Thanks for the nice feedback so far. Development of RJA2 continues. And here's another update I'd like to share with the Amiga community.
A lot is happening in the area of development in terms of code and gfx, but also tools which I need to build to develop this game.

The biggest announcement is that the music for the game will be composed by Kamil 'Jammer' Wolnikowski. Jammer is an author of original soundtrack for RJA on C64. He is super-talented and well known musician on the demoscene.
I continue discussion with one another great musician to include his music in the game too, as there's a lot of music needed in the game. I will come up with the news when ready.

The new things implemented in the game engine are:
- Level screen scrolling in 4 directions
- Initial boss level implementation
- Initial implementation of the worldmap / level selection screen
- what you see is going to be World #1 and Gfx for World #1 is almost done.
- Initial implementation of bigger enemies (wider that 16 pixels sprites)
- A lot of new minor features and bug fixes

I needed tools to make the development process fast and as effortless as possible. So I started to develop my own set of tools. In next video I will show you what I've created in terms of tools and how it works.
I'm a pixel artist so I needed visual tools for the things i implement in code, so I will show you how I implemented the tools I use now.

More screenshots on my blog: http://retronavigator.com/2024/01/16...on-2-update-2/

I still add new features and ideas I have. So I'd say the gameplay is now around 60-65% feature completed. A lot of work is still ahead of me.

Development continues. Feedback is welcome.
Now Enjoy the video. Watch till the end

[ Show youtube player ]
Looking great!! I love the game design, the music, the backgrounds!!!

About the sprites, there are nice specular metal tones on the enemies, but the main robot looks flat, is it made of metal as well? maybe you can make as good as the enemy.
Old 17 January 2024, 13:19   #17
carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
the main robot looks flat, is it made of metal as well? maybe you can make as good as the enemy.
All moving objects ar hardware sprites, including the player. So he can have 3 colors only. It will be hard to use other colors for the player though as he shares some colors with the backgrounds. The game is still a WIP and many things will be revisited and changed. Sprites especially. But thanks for the suggestion/feedback.
Old 17 January 2024, 20:44   #18
roondar

Nice to see a new game
Using HW Sprites for the objects gives it a rather unique look too!
Old 17 January 2024, 21:02   #19
Konrad

The only thing I'm not fond of is the character design. Currently it looks a little bland. And to be honest, I first identify the jetpack thrust as graphics corruption.

Other than that it all looks very good .
Old 18 January 2024, 09:52   #20
carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
The only thing I'm not fond of is the character design. Currently it looks a little bland. And to be honest, I first identify the jetpack thrust as graphics corruption.

Other than that it all looks very good .
Thanks for feedback. Player sprite is the first thing to be changed/improved. It's more a pleaceholder now so I have something playable that looks OK-ish, but I agree - the jetpack thrust needs more pixel work.