English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Amiga Magazine Rack > AMR news

Old 23 January 2013, 22:51   #41
Peter
Still an Amiga user

"Pokermania" - You know I am a big fan of that game...!
It features at number 6 in my top list of Amiga PD and shareware games...

http://scavengeamiga.blogspot.co.uk/...-pd-games.html
Old 04 February 2013, 18:39   #42
bugsthor

my printer scanner has fault atm, so once its fixed i`ll start the scans. and if time do the full PDF`s also
Old 08 February 2013, 10:09   #43
bugsthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsthor View Post
my printer scanner has fault atm, so once its fixed i`ll start the scans. and if time do the full PDF`s also
ok new scanner i`ll make a start in the next few days,how would you want them numbered ?
Old 24 March 2013, 14:43   #44
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Any news guys? Looking to get the collection completed
Old 30 March 2013, 15:03   #45
Kitty

http://awesome.commodore.me/cia-update/
http://awesome.commodore.me/help/site-updates/

Last edited by Kitty; 30 March 2013 at 18:43.
Old 26 April 2013, 01:46   #46
DH
Global Moderator

Right guys, this time we really need your help in finding Amiga Format Issue 96 April 1997, the final magazine to complete the collection.

This probably won't be an internet search as I have spent countless hours searching to either download or buy, but no one, and I mean no one, appears to have it anywhere

So, all I'm asking is if you could put your feelers out to family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues, libraries, car boot sales, or anywhere else you can think of so we can have the Internets/worlds first complete collection of Amiga Format Issues #001 Aug 1989 - #136 May 2000

I know you EABers won't let us down, as it's all for the Amiga cause
Old 24 June 2013, 06:56   #47
bugsthor

if you want the download link let me know

FIXED LINK
http://thors-palace.co.uk/Amiga/spec...ition_1993.pdf

http://thors-palace.co.uk/Amiga/geti...your_AMIGA.pdf

Last edited by bugsthor; 15 January 2014 at 11:25.
Old 24 June 2013, 07:28   #48
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
Right guys, this time we really need your help in finding Amiga Format Issue 96 April 1997, the final magazine to complete the collection.

This probably won't be an internet search as I have spent countless hours searching to either download or buy, but no one, and I mean no one, appears to have it anywhere

So, all I'm asking is if you could put your feelers out to family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues, libraries, car boot sales, or anywhere else you can think of so we can have the Internets/worlds first complete collection of Amiga Format Issues #001 Aug 1989 - #136 May 2000

It's not that rare at all. AMR shows it's owned by blackcornflake, Chris Martin, Codetapper (1 duplicate - CD version), DrBong, Galaxy, Gareth Knight, RedBlade (No Coverdisks), Vermillion.

I even have a spare! Has mort not scanned most of the AFs?
Old 24 June 2013, 08:11   #49
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

I have almost every AF sat up on my loft ATM... I will be selling them off maybe in the next few weeks even? (Though I should get rid of the Amiga Powers first)
Old 24 June 2013, 09:56   #50
Kitty

Horace can you check our needed list of Amiga Magazines and I will Paypal you for any missing issues.

http://awesome.commodore.me/forum/fo...y.php?77-Amiga

Last edited by Kitty; 24 June 2013 at 14:08.
Old 24 June 2013, 12:35   #51
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:

Do you guys 'n' gals at CIA have anything against stumping up a bit of cash to buy a copy? If not, here's a link to an Ebay auction in the UK:

http://goo.gl/y9jku

Just took me a minute to find the auction on Ebay, and the seller usually offers quality merchandise and service........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
It's not that rare at all. AMR shows it's owned by blackcornflake, Chris Martin, Codetapper (1 duplicate - CD version), DrBong, Galaxy, Gareth Knight, RedBlade (No Coverdisks), Vermillion.

I even have a spare! Has mort not scanned most of the AFs?
Aye! It's not all that rare. I don't have that issue sorted on the bookshelves yet, but I probably have a copy plus one or two spares knocking about in the spare room or garage too.

@CIA admins
Any **immediate** plans to catalogue any of the mags? Codetapper, myself and the other AMR guys have found that for any given mag, scanning often is the lesser of the two evils, and by quite a ways!!
Old 25 June 2013, 06:18   #52
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

These magazines are also being cataloged by TOSEC-PIX and Jason Scott is cataloging and hosting them with the rest of the TOSEC project on http://archive.org/details/amigaformatmagazine

Details can be found here http://www.tosecdev.org/index.php/fo...hp?topic=500.0
Old 25 June 2013, 06:20   #53
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

The rest of the TOSEC archive is here
http://archive.org/details/tosec
Old 25 June 2013, 06:32   #54
xArtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aral View Post
The rest of the TOSEC archive is here
http://archive.org/details/tosec
Yeah, the thing is, this is my forum now, get outta here!

Do you still have a bunch of Amiga's?
I'm seriously going to have to come over
Old 25 June 2013, 06:46   #55
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
These magazines are also being cataloged by TOSEC-PIX and Jason Scott is cataloging and hosting them with the rest of the TOSEC project on http://archive.org/details/amigaformatmagazine
I'm not sure if you were referring to my last post or not. In any case, my definition of cataloguing a mag is one where you have complete info. regarding page numbers of the mag contents (i.e. editorial, reviews, previews, special features, adverts etc.), and can quickly and efficiently search for something specific through some sort of database facility.

Unless I'm missing something, where does Archive.org provide that for any of the Amiga Format issues that are hosted?
Old 25 June 2013, 07:16   #56
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I'm not sure if you were referring to my last post or not. In any case, my definition of cataloguing a mag is one where you have complete info. regarding page numbers of the mag contents (i.e. editorial, reviews, previews, special features, adverts etc.), and can quickly and efficiently search for something specific through some sort of database facility.

Unless I'm missing something, where does Archive.org provide that for any of the Amiga Format issues that are hosted?
Who knows what the future holds? It is my hope that Jason takes the TOSEC archive and catalogs it the way it should be. This is something that will take many months / years to complete IMO. The main thing is that the complete archive is now hosted in a place where everyone can access it.
Old 25 June 2013, 07:35   #57
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Who knows what the future holds? It is my hope that Jason takes the TOSEC archive and catalogs it the way it should be. This is something that will take many months / years to complete IMO.
People generally don't have any idea of how much time and effort is involved until they do it for 5 or so issues of a large mag! As I suspected, though, the TOSEC archive has no immediate plans to catalogue the mags, which is a great pity.

Quote:
The main thing is that the complete archive is now hosted in a place where everyone can access it.
Scanning a complete archive for any given mag is the easy part as far as I'm concerned because people often want to contribute and the burden can be shared around. Having a complete archive for a mag is great for the casual reader and I can appreciate that.

For the more discerning reader who wants to find particular reviews/previews, special features etc., it can be more frustrating than enjoyable because you have access to the mags, but no way of finding anything without going through the painstaking process of manually searching the archive.

Cataloguing is the much greater evil! Why? Simple answer.....it's more time-consuming and a lot less sexier than scanning, which means that people are much less motivated to contribute.
Old 25 June 2013, 12:58   #58
DH
Global Moderator

CiA doesn't have problems purchasing the mags, just at the time of that post of mine asking for issue 96, there were no auctions offering it, and also no where else seemed to have it on offer either.

We do check, but of late we have had other pressing engagements that have required immediate attention, which have taken us away from some of our normal duties on the forum and website.

I don't think, as of yet, we are going to catalogue any of the mags, because we are concentrating on all commodore mags, and not just Amiga, we'll have a tenfold increase of mags to do, and I don't really see how we can sensibly catalogue all of these mags with the number of staff/volunteers we actually have. Maybe the best we can do is type out the main contents for each mag, but not have the contents searchable like how AMR has it.

I guess I can understand your concerns regarding cataloguing these mags, and indeed how much more time consuming it will be. I suppose the motivation is not really in the hearts of most people, but only in a few dedicated people, which is a shame. Time is usually a major factor in anything people do, and wives which is probably the greatest block anyone will have, well it certainly is for me.

I guess for now, we will just be hosting the mags, but at a much higher quality, along with many more commodore related mags, so for now at least, AMR and you guys have got the worlds most complete catalogued amiga magazine database anyone could wish for, which in itself is a great feat, and I take my hat off to you all for the countless hours work that you have all voluntary put in over the years
Old 25 June 2013, 14:00   #59
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
CiA doesn't have problems purchasing the mags, just at the time of that post of mine asking for issue 96, there were no auctions offering it, and also no where else seemed to have it on offer either.
Fair enough. I hit reply to both your post and Codetapper's and only saw the date on Codetapper's, so you have my apologies. In any case, the Ebay auction is a quick 'n' easy option if no-one else has committed to scanning the issue yet.

Quote:
I don't think, as of yet, we are going to catalogue any of the mags, because we are concentrating on all commodore mags, and not just Amiga, we'll have a tenfold increase of mags to do, and I don't really see how we can sensibly catalogue all of these mags with the number of staff/volunteers we actually have. Maybe the best we can do is type out the main contents for each mag, but not have the contents searchable like how AMR has it.
A little disappointing to hear that you don't have any immediate plans to catalogue, but very much understandable. I give CIA more credit than most sites hosting mags, though, because at least you have a wide range of mags for C= enthusiasts (which is in keeping with much of what it offers)!!

Quote:
I guess I can understand your concerns regarding cataloguing these mags, and indeed how much more time consuming it will be. I suppose the motivation is not really in the hearts of most people, but only in a few dedicated people, which is a shame. Time is usually a major factor in anything people do, and wives which is probably the greatest block anyone will have, well it certainly is for me.
Yep - I've got a very full life (work/PhD study, family/personal and online with HOL and AMR) here myself and have had for much of the last decade. AMR stuff has probably fared the worst out of that lot in the last 3-4 years. Have done quite a bit of work on fixing errors in the stuff that's catalogued, but haven't had any real time to scan or catalogue new stuff from the mags I own.

Quote:
I guess for now, we will just be hosting the mags, but at a much higher quality, along with many more commodore related mags, so for now at least, AMR and you guys have got the worlds most complete catalogued amiga magazine database anyone could wish for, which in itself is a great feat, and I take my hat off to you all for the countless hours work that you have all voluntary put in over the years
It's somewhat small comfort that AMR has got the most complete catalogue of Amiga mag contents. I'd love to see more contributors period, but it'd be especially nice if we had more contributors to catalogue mag contents. We have had a new guy called Mike who's done some really good work recently on the cataloguing front as has Blazer in recent times! Unfortunately, their type of contribution has been very far and few between.

What would be even better, though, is some collaboration between projects to plug the holes between magazine scans and cataloguing of contents, but the Amiga community has always been a splintered lot since the Escom days and there has been countless duplication of various Amiga projects over the years in the name of empire-building.

The 8-bit communities (C64 and Spectrum, in particular), on the other hand, understand what collaboration is about far better and have achieved much more across the board with respect to non-profit projects that have benefited their communities as a whole. Sure, time is always a limiting factor with any online project that is non-profit.......but I think empire-building has been a much bigger stumbling block and is a sad indictment of the Amiga online community. Not sure it'll ever change a great deal, but I sure do hope that EAB's spirit of altruism and collaboration becomes a lot more contagious in the short- and longer-term.

Anyway, must get back to work.......ciao for now!

Last edited by DrBong; 25 June 2013 at 14:05.
Old 26 August 2013, 13:16   #60
Basquemactee1
Old Fart New WinUAE user

Whoever's in charge of the "Commodore is awesome" website that hosts (amongst other things) a great quantity of Amiga Formats for downloading in PDF format, page 5 of the Amiga Format mag collection appears to be corrupted. It only shows 2 huge half images of 2 mags and that's it. Pages 1 to 4, and 6 appear to be ok. Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but could you take a look and and let me know as I think there's a couple of new mags added I'd like to get hold of and they're on that page!! (Just so you know, I use Firefox).