English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 December 2018, 08:27   #41
meynaf
son of 68k

I don't know how the current Amiga version looks like, but there will soon be two Amiga versions of this game

About gameplay, i noticed the main menu (the one with the signposts, in which the game starts) could be quite better with mouse support. As originally the whole game only uses the joystick. So i added experimental mouse support and indeed it's quite easier to navigate this part. Now wondering if this support has to be made permanent, and if other parts might need it as well (not sure, it might make some arcade parts too easy).

And yes, there has been some advances. I can now see the intro and start the game
Old 03 December 2018, 10:38   #42
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
About gameplay, i noticed the main menu (the one with the signposts, in which the game starts) could be quite better with mouse support. As originally the whole game only uses the joystick. So i added experimental mouse support and indeed it's quite easier to navigate this part. Now wondering if this support has to be made permanent, and if other parts might need it as well (not sure, it might make some arcade parts too easy).
When I played the Apple IIGS version, mouse is used for all parts except action sequences where you use the joystick.

So what you've done is the same as above

Quote:
And yes, there has been some advances. I can now see the intro and start the game
Coolio
Old 03 December 2018, 10:57   #43
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
When I played the Apple IIGS version, mouse is used for all parts except action sequences where you use the joystick.

So what you've done is the same as above
All parts ? But what happens when speaking to some character ?
With the joystick the pointer can only move vertically in these parts (to choose what the player will say).
I'm afraid this would feel... unnatural, with the mouse. But not allowing it to move everywhere attracts the player's attention to the only part of the screen that's relevant so i'd like to keep this.
What's the best option ?
Old 03 December 2018, 11:17   #44
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

As your hands are already in the dirty grease meynaf, would it be a hard task to extract the English texts and sent it to me for a French translation ?
If I remember correctly this game, as others Cinemawares, are English only. Could be cool to have a French translation of the "~new~" Sinbad
Old 03 December 2018, 11:27   #45
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
As your hands are already in the dirty grease meynaf, would it be a hard task to extract the English texts and sent it to me for a French translation ?
If I remember correctly this game, as others Cinemawares, are English only. Could be cool to have a French translation of the "~new~" Sinbad
You mean, making Sinbad et le trône du faucon ?
Indeed it would be cool. I already had this in a corner of my head.
Extracting normal texts is of course no big deal.
But there will be problems as some of them are just images, like the title itself...
Old 03 December 2018, 11:36   #46
Don_Adan

Quote:
German version exist too:
http://hol.abime.net/1951
Old 03 December 2018, 11:38   #47
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
All parts ? But what happens when speaking to some character ?
With the joystick the pointer can only move vertically in these parts (to choose what the player will say).
I'm afraid this would feel... unnatural, with the mouse. But not allowing it to move everywhere attracts the player's attention to the only part of the screen that's relevant so i'd like to keep this.
What's the best option ?
Yes all parts except for the action sequences I've come across i.e. the bow and arrow with the flying beast, the sling shot with the cyclops, moving the ship through the water / dodging rocks.

Try it yourself, see this post, it's all setup and ready to go

When speaking with characters you move to them firstly with the mouse and click to start the interaction, then you click on on the desired response.

Also at the sign post scenes you need to move onto Sinbad for the "map" and "jewel" (strategy battlefield).
Old 03 December 2018, 11:50   #48
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
You mean, making Sinbad et le trône du faucon ?
Indeed it would be cool. I already had this in a corner of my head.
Extracting normal texts is of course no big deal.
But there will be problems as some of them are just images, like the title itself...
Exactement "Sinbad et le trône du faucon" . And for the text in images, we can deal with it and translate them also.

So let me help you if it's already in a corner of your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
German version exist too:
http://hol.abime.net/1951
It's said : "manual" are also in German. It's not said the game is in German. But I may be mistaken.

Last edited by malko; 03 December 2018 at 12:11.
Old 03 December 2018, 12:12   #49
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Yes all parts except for the action sequences I've come across i.e. the bow and arrow with the flying beast, the sling shot with the cyclops, moving the ship through the water / dodging rocks.
Action sequences seem to be most of what takes place in the game, don't they ?

Quote:
Try it yourself, see this post, it's all setup and ready to go
I could but then i wouldn't have my shortcuts anymore to get to any part at will
People seem to be met at the random, many parts aren't straightforward to reach, and thus running test games could easily end up quite time consuming.
So better for me is to ask people who actually know the game.

Quote:
When speaking with characters you move to them firstly with the mouse and click to start the interaction, then you click on on the desired response.
I know that, but it doesn't answer my question.
Where can/should the mouse pointer go, or not go, when aiming at said desired response ?
As i said, with the joystick it can only move in the vertical direction and this might feel weird.

Quote:
Also at the sign post scenes you need to move onto Sinbad for the "map" and "jewel" (strategy battlefield).
I know, and there are also restart game and sound on/off buttons at the top right.

Is there any interaction with the map aside of merely showing it ?
What's supposed to happen when clicking on the jewel ? Nothing happens when i try ('xcept the screen gets black for a second), but it's obvious something could actually happen. Maybe there is something to do before ?

Quote:
Exactement . And for the text in images, we can deal with it.
For image "cinemaware corporation presents", i can imagine it's not too hard.
But for image "sinbad and the throne of the falcon", it's too "stylised" to be easy to replace... (Feel free however to prove me wrong by providing a french version for ALOGO.PC1 ).

Quote:
Ok i will collect texts for you (they are scattered among the code so it'll take some while).
Old 03 December 2018, 12:31   #50
Don_Adan

Quote:
Exactement "Sinbad et le trône du faucon" . And for the text in images, we can deal with it and translate them also.

It's said : "manual" are also in German. It's not said the game is in German. But I may be mistaken.
Perhaps you right. Maybe exist german version of Rocket Ranger:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3...logy_19861991/
Old 03 December 2018, 12:40   #51
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Action sequences seem to be most of what takes place in the game, don't they?
Yes and no, you move around the map by clicking on signs / going to ports and sailing to other areas.

Quote:
I could but then i wouldn't have my shortcuts anymore to get to any part at will
People seem to be met at the random, many parts aren't straightforward to reach, and thus running test games could easily end up quite time consuming.
So better for me is to ask people who actually know the game.
Not sure I follow; my post is regarding the Apple IIGS version.

If you play for 5 minutes, move between areas using the signs, go to ports and sail, then you'll see how everything works and hopefully come across different characters / action sequences

Quote:
I know that, but it doesn't answer my question.
Where can/should the mouse pointer go, or not go, when aiming at said desired response ?
As i said, with the joystick it can only move in the vertical direction and this might feel weird.

I know, and there are also restart game and sound on/off buttons at the top right.
In the Apple IIGS version the mouse can go all over the screen.

To answer questions you click on the text / inside the text box.

Quote:
Is there any interaction with the map aside of merely showing it ?
You can zoom in by clicking / holding the mouse on the magnifying glass.

Quote:
What's supposed to happen when clicking on the jewel ? Nothing happens when i try ('xcept the screen gets black for a second), but it's obvious something could actually happen. Maybe there is something to do before ?
You can then move your army to guard main the city against the Black Prince.

Old 03 December 2018, 13:47   #52
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
If you play for 5 minutes, move between areas using the signs, go to ports and sail, then you'll see how everything works and hopefully come across different characters / action sequences
That would be only for the very beginning. Won't say how to handle the genie, the statue, the icy river...
Besides, Apple IIGS version didn't necessarily make the best choice in all situations, so I still need an advice.

Quote:
In the Apple IIGS version the mouse can go all over the screen.
You see, it was easy to just answer

Quote:
You can zoom in by clicking / holding the mouse on the magnifying glass.
Then this works already.

Quote:
You can then move your army to guard main the city against the Black Prince.
Ok.
Old 03 December 2018, 15:06   #53
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] For image "cinemaware corporation presents", i can imagine it's not too hard.
But for image "sinbad and the throne of the falcon", it's too "stylised" to be easy to replace... (Feel free however to prove me wrong by providing a french version for ALOGO.PC1 ).
Ok. I just print-screened the title from the AppleII version provided by Damien and started modifying it. Since my break isn't too long, I'll post you a draft this evening and you will let me know.

Quote:
Ok i will collect texts for you (they are scattered among the code so it'll take some while).
Extra !
Old 03 December 2018, 15:41   #54
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Ok. I just print-screened the title from the AppleII version provided by Damien and started modifying it. Since my break isn't too long, I'll post you a draft this evening and you will let me know.
That sounds good. Just keep in mind that's for 320x200 16 colors

Quote:
Extra !
Just zoned, original texts in raw form. Don't ask me when these texts are supposed to appear, for many i just don't know...
Old 03 December 2018, 17:17   #55
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds good. Just keep in mind that's for 320x200 16 colors
Guys, don't you think we should stick to one version i.e. the Atari ST one and not mix two together i.e. the Atari ST & Apple IIGS versions?
Old 03 December 2018, 17:48   #56
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Guys, don't you think we should stick to one version i.e. the Atari ST one and not mix two together i.e. the Atari ST & Apple IIGS versions?
Are graphics really different on them ?
Old 03 December 2018, 18:00   #57
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Are graphics really different on them ?
Title screens and intro story; yes

Apple - Title:

Atari ST - Title:

Apple - Intro:

Atari ST - Intro:

...not sure what else as I haven't played the Atari ST version though there seems to be extra screens like in this:

Have a look at both:
You can also see extra intro screens for the Atari ST version from the Youtube video:

[ Show youtube player ]

IMHO it's best to stick with the Atari ST version.

Last edited by DamienD; 03 December 2018 at 18:15.
Old 03 December 2018, 18:11   #58
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Title screens and intro story; yes
Then it's clearly the ST version we need to use, you're right

Quote:
...not sure what else as I haven't played the Atari ST version though there seems to be extra screens like in this:
I know this screen ! It's shown when you go sailing, right after the "prepare to sail off" message (and right before you're in your cabin to select the destination).
Old 03 December 2018, 18:27   #59
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Ok, first draft.
Suits you ?
See this post for latest image

Last edited by malko; 04 December 2018 at 11:46. Reason: Attachment removed
Old 03 December 2018, 18:30   #60
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Then it's clearly the ST version we need to use, you're right
In the YouTube video at "3 minutes 42 seconds" you also see extra "jewel" intro screens that are not present in the Apple IIGS version:

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
I know this screen ! It's shown when you go sailing, right after the "prepare to sail off" message (and right before you're in your cabin to select the destination).
Exactly

...it's not in the Apple IIGS version; and who know's what else is missing.