English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 February 2016, 20:43   #21
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Another option would be not to ask money for something that doesn't cost money, or to contribute to an existing Amiga magazine instead of competing.
That's a pretty black and white viewpoint, idrougge. Brian is offering a service here. He's collating information from various sources, reaching out to folk in order to provide us with their opinions, insights and future projects, making us aware of things that not all of us may be aware of, but, perhaps most of all, providing a source of recreation and entertainment in line with a topic that we all love. To say that this "doesn't cost money" is a little unfair. He puts a lot of work into putting the publication together, and there's precious little work done for free in this world (sadly).

Well, that's me done preaching!! I do appreciate that it won't be for everyone (at any price) and it would be naive to think that everyone would want to pay to get a copy. But I want to support the mag, so there's me tuppence-worth.

Also, with respect to providing content to another mag, or teaming up with Amiga Future - sometimes it's good to have a few different publications to choose from. Remember how Amiga Format and CU Amiga both flourished in their day... Mind you, I always bought both of them on a monthly basis!
Old 11 February 2016, 23:07   #22
mintsauce82

Had no idea this was a thing! Bought!

£2 is basically nothing and all you have to do is enter your Paypal password. Can't believe more people haven't done this!
Old 12 February 2016, 16:03   #23
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
That's a pretty black and white viewpoint, idrougge. Brian is offering a service here. He's collating information from various sources, reaching out to folk in order to provide us with their opinions, insights and future projects, making us aware of things that not all of us may be aware of, but, perhaps most of all, providing a source of recreation and entertainment in line with a topic that we all love. To say that this "doesn't cost money" is a little unfair. He puts a lot of work into putting the publication together, and there's precious little work done for free in this world (sadly).
It's this black and white. I know what's involved, because I also do an Amiga mag, and it also costs £2 — because that's what it costs to print. The time invested in making it isn't part of the equation, and shouldn't enter any equation just because one chooses distribute a blog as a PDF.
Old 12 February 2016, 16:49   #24
TenLeftFingers

Opinions, everyone has 'em. Which reminds me, I heard issue 4 will be reviewed by a podcast. It'll be interested to hear their impressions of it.
Old 12 February 2016, 17:14   #25
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
It's this black and white. I know what's involved, because I also do an Amiga mag, and it also costs £2 — because that's what it costs to print. The time invested in making it isn't part of the equation, and shouldn't enter any equation just because one chooses distribute a blog as a PDF.
I think we may have to agree to disagree here, idrougge. While I can see your point with respect to material costs and bringing a tangible mag to market, I still think that paying £2 for someone else to pick out the relevant bits of info, from a subject I love, and put them together in a nice format, that I can read on my tablet, is also good value.

BTW - is your mag available in the UK at all? If so, how can I order a copy.
Old 12 February 2016, 21:58   #26
Korodny
Zone Friend

Brian provided my with a review copy, it took a day longer than I anticipated (apologies, Brian), but here's the German review:

http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-...-00020-DE.html

English translation will follow ASAP, I hope I can get it done tomorrow.

Thanks again, Brain!

Edit:

bah, sleep is overrated, here's the English translation:

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-...-00020-EN.html

Last edited by Korodny; 13 February 2016 at 00:08.
Old 12 February 2016, 23:08   #27
TenLeftFingers

Here's a Google translate version for what it's worth: https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
Old 13 February 2016, 00:23   #28
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Here's a Google translate version for what it's worth:
Heh, that's surprisingly good in places - while other parts are as horribly translated as you'd expect.
Old 13 February 2016, 00:59   #29
zerohour1974

I think the review sums up what I feel. For all my intentions are good. I really feel I lack either the knowledge or the talent to present a good magazine.

I'm not a graphic designer by any chalk. I have no design skills. I put together what I can and sometimes I don't really meet up to the publishing standard.

Look the simple truth is I feel I am not the right man for this job. My inexperience shows regularly.

I was only standing in while APOV was out of action. It's back in works now and I can't compete with this level of craftmanship when it comes to this.

I really do appreciate the people who have supported me on this journey. The magazine remains on sale until 12th March 2016. Then the hosting stops.

I have come to the conclusion there will not be an Issue 5.

I will still be about the forums and such but I think its time to step away. It was a risk I took and it was not up to scratch.

Seek the better publications I can't match.

Last edited by zerohour1974; 13 February 2016 at 02:10.
Old 13 February 2016, 01:23   #30
prowler
Global Moderator

Well, that's fair enough.

I just wouldn't have liked to see you throw in the towel without thinking it through properly.

It was certainly good while it lasted, and you can always be proud that you raised awareness of aspects of recent developments which some of us had not considered before with your insightful comments.

And, of course, your thoughts will always be welcome here in the EAB forums.

Last edited by prowler; 13 February 2016 at 23:22. Reason: Spelling.
Old 13 February 2016, 14:58   #31
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour1974 View Post
I think the review sums up what I feel. For all my intentions are good. I really feel I lack either the knowledge or the talent to present a good magazine.
I'm sorry if that's the impression you got from the review. I was going for "he's not there yet", actually.

IMHO, you made two mistakes:

1. Releasing about 30 pages every month is way too ambitious, especially if you're doing everything on your own. It's fun the first two times, but then slowly turns into more of a burden with each release.

2. You went 'commercial' too early. There's nothing inherently wrong with Amigaville, the few minor issues would have fixed themselves over time - by people pointing out things, or offering help once they realize this was not a one-off. But once you start asking for money, nobody's going to bother.

Quote:
I'm not a graphic designer by any chalk. I have no design skills.
It's better than anything I could have come up with You are making a few simple mistakes, but these are caused by lack of experience, not by lack of skills and they would have been easy to fix. Like I said - fix those and the design, while not winning any awards, would be perfectly suited for a PDF magazine for two bucks.

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion there will not be an Issue 5.
Sorry to hear that. But hey, you published your own commercial Amiga magazine - not many people can claim that.
Old 13 February 2016, 18:36   #32
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

So sad to hear that, Brian. I would urge you to give it, at least, 2 more issues and try to garner some additional editorial from the readership. A couple of folk have mentioned potential articles for future issues. I'm also willing to submit a couple of short articles in order to support the next issue. I've been thinking about exactly what I could write about and have come up with a couple of ideas. I'll pm you if you change your mind.

Just concentrate on the positives of the mag, along with the positive feedback in this thread
Old 13 February 2016, 20:33   #33
Daedalus

Brian, I'm sure APOV would appreciate contributions from you - it wouldn't be as much pressure, and you could consider it a merger
Old 13 February 2016, 22:21   #34
TenLeftFingers

I will miss the mag Brian. I really liked your grumpy git column etc. Your magazine had personality in my opinion and a 'grass roots' feel to it.

Personally I think you are too critical of yourself. APOV doesn't meet a regular release schedule. 880 Gamer is games only. There is a place for your work IMO. But thanks for what you've done anyway. As I said before, at two pounds it was still a gift to the community!
Old 13 February 2016, 23:49   #35
NeoHippie2016
Freak

Ive bought it in the last days, too! Looking good and interesting articles... Weiter so! Don't give up!
Old 15 February 2016, 13:52   #36
TenLeftFingers

Special thanks to the following for their offers of support to the magazine:

The Retro Hour podcast (UK) http://www.theretrohour.com/
AmiCast (Poland) http://amicast.ppa.pl/
Amigos Podcast (USA) http://www.amigospodcast.com/
Cloanto http://www.amigaforever.com/
ConsoleMad https://www.consolemad.co.uk/help/links/
Old 17 February 2016, 09:44   #37
TenLeftFingers

Nice review here: http://www.amigospodcast.com/2016/02...night.html?m=1

Which was very complimentary of the magazine. Thanks guys.
Old 18 February 2016, 00:48   #38
Havie

Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed all the issues of Amigaville and if this is the last - it was amazing while it lasted! Although I secretly hope that there still is a future for the magazine...
Old 19 February 2016, 01:36   #39
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Nice review here: http://www.amigospodcast.com/2016/02...night.html?m=1

Which was very complimentary of the magazine. Thanks guys.
No problem! We were glad to check it out, but understand the reasons why it's not continuing.