English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 June 2018, 07:45   #21
ajk

I have used silicone oil to get stuck chips out, helps immensely. It is not conductive, although the board will be messy afterwards so I'd still rinse it out with some alcohol.

The contacts look alright, but it's hard to say. I've had to replace four of those sockets on my A3000, tedious work but it can be done. But those had totally cracked frames and the pins no longer had proper tension, yours doesn't look that bad.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 June 2018, 09:32   #22
dalek

doesn't look too bad, but some of the corner contacts look quite depressed. I would get a needle and gently pull outward each of the 84 contacts so that when you insert the chip they all make firm contact.

Failing that get someone who has a desoldering pump to replace the socket for you.
Old 08 June 2018, 04:27   #23
boratintheuk

I noticed these tiny copper bits on each corner of the Agnus they don't contact anything on the socket and are flush with the chip. (they are so small a picture was impossible) However, with my force of trying to remove the Agnus chips I damaged the same corner of each chip package, possibly destroying those tiny copper bits.

https://i.imgur.com/GhWQOPf.jpg

Could that minuscule damage to the chip package and to those tiny copper bits on the corner of the chip render these Agnus chips useless? I get the same issue from both of them.
Old 08 June 2018, 06:37   #24
ajk

It would seem unlikely (I guess not entirely impossible), as the chip itself is in the middle of the package. The copper peeking out of the corners is likely just something left over from the bonding process. As long as the actual legs that lead to the chip are intact, the chips should work. If you have a completely intact Agnus you could of course rule out the possibility.

Old 10 June 2018, 20:36   #25
boratintheuk

What I really need is another A500 to test these chips haha! Trying to think of other things I can troubleshoot here.
Old 12 June 2018, 00:25   #26
boratintheuk

Red face

Both the 8370 and the 8371 give me the same issue. I get the normal start up sequence (gray, gray white) then the picture cuts out. Software boots fine and even sound comes out but picture is just lost after boot check. I ordered a new 84 pin chip carrier to see if that's the problem but, not only do I not know if that's the problem, I'm also not sure if my soldering skills are good enough for soldering 84 pins.

Any video issues are usually related to Agnus or Denise right? I don't think I touched Denise or anything. And all the traces to the Agnus underneath the board perfectly connected.

The only think I could see as a problem is possible the chip carrier but most people here told me the damage was so light that it most likely wouldn't cause a problem.

I'm just really stumped here because all I have is a Commodore brand paper weight right now. Any more tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13 June 2018, 21:22   #27
TjLaZer

I don't think the machine will boot and work with a bad Agnus chip. If you will attempt to remove the socket I highly recommend you get a desoldering gun.

[ Show youtube player ]

You can see this video for some tips on removing the Agnus socket! Starting at 14 minutes.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 June 2018, 01:19   #28
boratintheuk

Thanks for the tips, friend. But the soldering guns cost more than the a500 and everything else I bought for it haha! I was going to just use solder braid but maybe that isn't such a good idea? Once, I get the chip carrier in hand and have a in depth look at all the underside pins I will try again to reevaluate the situation.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:53   #29
TjLaZer

It was about $100 shipped. But well worth it as I use it on other repairs too.
AdSense AdSense