English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 13 June 2018, 15:33   #2201
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

LOL, seems we saw the same movie.

Saw it and thinking about the same, great action, somewhat good background story and cast that just was put well, including Dame Helen Mirren.

One part that I dislike in all F&F movies since first couple of movies - they include real sport cars more then upgraded regular cars as original movies have.

7.5 /10
Old 13 June 2018, 15:57   #2202
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
One part that I dislike in all F&F movies since first couple of movies - they include real sport cars more then upgraded regular cars as original movies have.
True, although you can't deny the rather forced opening scene of Fast 8 is a big callback to the roots of the series
Old 14 June 2018, 13:06   #2203
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Well, you are right there.
Old 25 June 2018, 11:09   #2204
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Black Panther

The last MCU movie I had yet to see (for now). I enjoyed it, Wakanda is pretty unique within the MCU and a nice change of pace. Beautiful scenery too and I just love the quirky non-standard characters and the whole aspect of an African tribal nation being not as primitive as one might think.

A huge boon for the movie is the return of Andy Serkis as the fun loving criminal Klaue, the fun this guy had playing his character just oozes out of the screen and grabs the corners of your mouth and yanks them up high. Unfortunately that performance completely overshadows Michael B. Jordan's conflicted villain character who ends up looking like nothing more than a muscular brat with a permanent wedgie. Still... I guess he did what could be done with that rather one dimensional character.

AND... they might as well have titled the movie Black Panther: Civil War. If I have to bitch and moan about something its that it isn't exactly very original writing. I wonder if the civil war theme follows Martin Freeman around who makes a reappearance in this movie. God bless him by the way, I hope we see more of him in Avengers 4. There is something warming about his acting and his voice.

Excellent characters, wonderful world building, better than average villains, a story lacking in imagination. Its amusing that this movie is an origin story - just not of the Black Panther character, but rather of Wakanda. Its not every day where a fictional country is the most popular thing to come out of a movie.

7.5/10
Old 25 June 2018, 11:49   #2205
Ian
Global Moderator

I couldn't get over how racist Black Panther was, if it was called White Panther it would've been banned for sure, this was what I thought while watching it, then the misses said they purposely only employed black people to make the film, that was just the icing on the cake.

Aside from that, I thought the film made the Black Panther character appear very weak, despite his years of training and being provided for, he was easily battered by a low life street thug.

Give me a break.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, watched ready player one last night, was quite enjoyable with many references to the past that while obviously shoe horned in there just for the sake of it, made me smile. Would a child in 2038 even know what a tron cycle was or Bigfoot which hasn't been a good monster truck since I last gave a shit in the late 80s (it was routinely getting beaten then)

Story meandered on, but overall was a good story, could've probably been a bit shorter.
Old 25 June 2018, 13:59   #2206
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Ian, character Black Panther was created in mid of civil right movement in USA, 50 some years ago.

IMHO it was eye candy mixed with some good action.
Old 25 June 2018, 14:13   #2207
DamienD
Global Moderator

Watched "Juarssic World: Fallen Kingdom" last Friday night.

Not bad and worth seeing
Old 25 June 2018, 14:28   #2208
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Aside from that, I thought the film made the Black Panther character appear very weak, despite his years of training and being provided for, he was easily battered by a low life street thug.

Give me a break.
Tis true, the way I see it is that the Black Panther is little more than a symbol, it is the entirety of Wakanda that is the true force. The character itself would be nothing without the technology and medical advances that the country so desperately hides from the rest of the world.

Pretty much Iron Man in reverse.
Old 25 June 2018, 14:40   #2209
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Ian, character Black Panther was created in mid of civil right movement in USA, 50 some years ago.
So were a lot of the characters, I can promise you though that the movie wasn't written during the civil rights movement.

Anyway, it does look good, I just didn't enjoy it, it was certainly the worst Marvel film I can remember since Winter Solider for me.
Old 25 June 2018, 17:24   #2210
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
So were a lot of the characters, I can promise you though that the movie wasn't written during the civil rights movement.

Anyway, it does look good, I just didn't enjoy it, it was certainly the worst Marvel film I can remember since Winter Solider for me.
Wait, you said that even name is offensive, and I just pointed out when it was created and probably why.

Seems that box office disagrees with movie being worst one, so far.

Also it makes more sense if you have seen it before last Avengers movie.
Old 25 June 2018, 17:37   #2211
Ian
Global Moderator

I said nothing about the name lol no problem with that what so ever.
Old 29 June 2018, 10:01   #2212
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

And now for something completely different... the documentary Rats, produced by the now infamous Morgan Spurlock.

Its kind of a special documentary as it is set up as a horror movie - and it does horror better than the average horror movie. I don't want to spoil too much as it is a must-see that can irk you out something fierce if you don't know what's coming, but lets just say I hope that rat exterminator becomes a more popular profession and I'm going to be very careful what is on the menu should I ever visit Vietnam...

However, its not a documentary to really learn anything from, its generic Spurlock "I ate more than 5000 calories per day at McDonalds and had chest pains!" bending the truth at its finest; after seeing this movie you'd believe that rats are secretly plotting under our houses to overtake humanity. Just watch it for the enjoyment of seeing an actual good horror movie with a hint of truth to it.

Horror movie score: 7.5/10
Documentary score: 2/10
Old 13 July 2018, 23:48   #2213
BullyDog

Is it true that theaters now have closed captioning available? I haven't went to movies for decades because I am hearing impaired. I wear hearing aids so I can hear sounds and noises but human speech is very hard to understand.

Human speech through speakers is harder still. I bought DVD movies with CC/SDH encoded so I can enjoy them. I'm years behind you as I'm watching the decade(s) old movies for the first time.

In fact I collect DVDs and have over 1000 so far. The cases take so much room that I keep the DVDs in cake boxes (spindles).

I hate OTA TV that I have an Amazon Firestick on my TV, closed captioning and all. No ads either.
Old 16 July 2018, 11:41   #2214
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

(I would post that question as a separate thread, Mr. Dog)

With all the warm weather watching movies becomes a bit of a low prio, but I managed to catch a few interesting ones.

the Outsider (Netflix)

Weird movie, conflicting. On the one hand its a slow movie which has little to tell, its just a basic Yakuza movie where "Japanese stuff happens". A day in the life of a criminal family, so to speak. Jared Leto plays a character which you never really get to understand or know and thus never really get to have a bond with. Since the movie revolves around him, being "the outsider", that's a bit of a problem.

On the other hand it is mesmerising to watch, pretty much like a work of art. The movie is pure eye candy with beautifully orchestrated scenes, attractive or otherwise unique looking people and an aesthetic that breathes an otherworldly atmosphere. One that is dangerous but not unwelcome. It is the world that keeps you glued to the screen, not the plot.

Definitely worth a watch! 6.5/10

Warcraft

Yeah I get why this movie tanked. I enjoyed it a whole lot nonetheless, but lets just face it: Warcraft is just too big and contains too much bullshit to put in a movie and as such no matter how much goodness they pumped into this movie, it still feels rushed and incomplete. Its also a typical case of a very strong opener which blows you away, only for the second half of the movie to become a bit of a mess where you can see the writers were trying desperately to put some kind of interesting story into what is otherwise just a basic war movie with too many fantasy Deus Ex Machinas. That's inevitable when all-powerful wizards/warlocks exist in the universe; you know, the bigger the threat the stronger the magic you simply throw around, it just takes a few seconds more to charge the spell. Fantasy BS - works well in games, works well in an anime, works really poor in a movie.

But you know, its friggin' Warcraft and its brought to the screen spectacularly despite its failings, for a game conversion this is rather impressive work. I find it a right shame this movie didn't do so well because all the signs point to this movie desperately wanting to move beyond its primitive beginnings to the plotlines of Warcraft 2 & 3 in a sequel. I want more, but I'm not going to get

6.9/10

Split

This is a gripping tale that thrives on pure acting chops alone. James McAvoy deserves all the praise he got for the role and then some, the combined effort of the characters he portrays are almost as frightening as Hannibal Lecter. But its truly the work of everyone involved that makes the movie work, a villain can't impress if the victim cannot properly convey fear. Well, its impressive, and unsettling.

Can't wait to see Glass!

8/10
Old 16 July 2018, 14:29   #2215
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

@BullyDog - it depends on your local theater. You will have to contact them and check. For example, theaters where we go they offer them for some years already. (you can find explanation in questions on theater web site)

Saw last week Split (2016) (again we saw the same movie) and I would agree, McAvoy deserves all praise, but movie wouldn't be as good without proper victims that can reflect fear. Well made movie, best for Shyamalan since 6th Sense.

Last night we saw Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018), and kids were split on if movie was good or boring. There were some good laughs, introduction of Van Helsing to series and you can already guess what next movie will be about.
Old 16 July 2018, 15:30   #2216
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

For now I'll call it coincidence, but eventually I'm going to become paranoid.
Old 20 July 2018, 16:43   #2217
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Can anybody with a "keen" ear please help me identify what Barbara Bach is saying here in The Unseen.
Code:
https://youtu.be/5l9XeGdMCXo?t=1555
So far I got:
Quote:
The people you see behind me
are some of the 2000 residents of Solvang...
Quote:
direct descendants of the group of educators...
Quote:
who founded this Danish community in 1911.
Quote:
Somehow, miraculously, the town has retained every [??? can't make out this part ???]
Quote:
right in the middle of our Southern California sunshine.
Old 20 July 2018, 17:50   #2218
BullyDog

Something like festival music or mood.
Old 20 July 2018, 20:11   #2219
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

So, I'm not the only one having a hard time figuring out what she actually says.
Oh well..
Old 20 July 2018, 21:04   #2220
BullyDog

Yeah, it is hard as the background noise blotted it out. I'm pretty sure the first word is festival. I felt that she was saying that despite the weather the people are having a good time.