English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 October 2009, 10:41   #41
tero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
this saves the hassle of extensively using floppy images loading/swapping from df0:
that depends of what you like: i am mostly using adf cause i realy like
those floppy sounds.
Using key_shortcuts/diskswapper it is done quickly
Old 13 October 2009, 11:00   #42
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
it makes no sense to suggest WHDLoad and an 'enhanced' Workbench when nanogoblin is at the very start of Amiga emulation.
  • QuickStart offers the A1200 and A4000 Config. to load, I am not telling anyone to configure his own beefed-up Amiga config.'s
  • The HDD tab is very convenient for loading a directory as an emulated HDD
  • The preconfigured Workbench based distros all make a point at being able to play WHDLoad games
  • Some other newcomers have recently expressed their interest in playing WHDLoad games (which don't even need to be installed by the OP thanks to KG), I don't remember you saying it was not suited for them
Sorry, I don't see anything wrong in merely saying it can be done (with a little effort and dedication, granted). I mentioned a practical advantage in "WHDLoading", still people retain their freedom to choose either way, or both.
Old 13 October 2009, 11:14   #43
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

nanogoblin haven't even said what he wants to use WinUAE for. Preinstalled workbench distributions and WHDLoad add a layer of complexity to it for sure. When someone asks about how to configure WinUAE and what the options are for, don't you agree that should be answered first before progressing further? At least you agree that it's not necessary and thus please suggest WHDLoad and all the other goodness once nanogoblin got a basic understanding of WinUAE and Amiga emulation (look it up, I do it that way ).
Old 13 October 2009, 11:20   #44
nanogoblin

Thanks for the rapid response folks
Yep, those guides were what I needed, Tero and the TheCyberDruid. The problem I had with parts of the config were contradictions. Like, in DISPLAY, the top box, 'Screen' has settings for both 'Full screen' and 'Windowed'. Well, that might make sense to you guys but I was expecting one box for Full Screen and another for 'Windowed. Then, even more confusing, the following box also has 'Windowed' mentioned under Native Mode.

That's where I gave up and called for help.

Anyway, I think the guides will help so I'll pitch in and try and get the thing under control. If I run across any more settings that baffle me I'll come back and pester you guys again

BTW, where would I got to get some Amiga hardware info? I've established that my old 19" Phillips CRT monitor has spare RGB inputs (I'm lacking an Amiga monitor) so I need some info about modifying the Amiga monitor lead to connect it to the Phillips.
Old 13 October 2009, 11:52   #45
NewDeli
Banned

You don't need to care about RTG for now, because it applies to emulating an Amiga gfx card from within AmigaOS.

Going full-screen (I usually choose Full-screen + AutoVSync) in native mode main advantage over Full-window is a lowered CPU usage.
When in full-window or windowed mode you will be able to access your PC desktop icons more easily, that's useful if you don't plan to quit emulation yet, but needs to check your email or similar tasks, while having the emulator still turned on, merely in the background.

Windowed resolution can be anything you want the resized window to appear like on your desktop. It can be identical to the full-screen resolution you would have chosen from the preset ones (720x480, 720x576...).

Usually, it's better (but not mandatory) to save a custom config. which Hardware portion should be strongly inspired from the A500 QuickConfig one (included in WinUAE). It's as easy as :
  1. Load the right QuickConfig
  2. Save it with any name (e.g. MyA500config.uae)
  3. Load it each time WinUAE is restarted
Last, don't tweak too much the Sound options to start with (stick with Stereo and 44100 Hz), because otherwise it could increase your actual CPU load to some unwanted levels.

Last edited by NewDeli; 13 October 2009 at 21:51.
Old 13 October 2009, 12:14   #46
DH
Global Moderator

@nanogoblin
Please don't be too confused, WinUAE is great and works well just using the Quickstart A500 Most common or A1200 4Mb configurations that TCD mentioned earlier. I think that'll do for now until you've gained a little more knowledge and experience

At this stage, I think adding a hard drive may be something of a challenge to yourself, best thing for now, is to keep it nice a simple, your rewards of that will come with the game and demo .adf's etc. that you can run

Maybe at some later stage, you'll want to add a Hard Drive or even install Bloodwych's 'ClassicWB', we are always here to help, just don't run before you can walk

Last edited by DH; 13 October 2009 at 12:51.
Old 13 October 2009, 13:51   #47
nanogoblin

You guys are very helpful

I've lost count of how many boards I've visited over the years but you folk would have to be the friendliest.

Anyway, I think TheCyberDruid commented about why I wanted WinUAE.

Pretty basic really; I just want to play a few of my favorite Amiga games before I die, namely Power Styx, DungeonMaster, Blue Angel, Boulderdash but most of all, Ghosts 'n Goblins. That's all, I don't want to fool around with Picasso or DirOpus, just those few cool games.

And progress has occurred (of sorts)

I actually managed to load a couple of those adfs but couldn't get em to run properly. But I must be on the right track because I got Impossible Mission2 to run, after a fashion. (I got heaps of dms, dmz and lha, too, but durned if I can remember what to do with 'em)

Didn't get too far initially cos I'm trying WinUAE on my laptop, and the touchpad didn't seem to figger in the mix, but things improved when I added a USB mouse, lol.

But I'd completely forgotten that some Amiga stuff requires esoteric incantations and <gasp> command thingys like DIR (or at least I thought it was dir but it didn't work) Whereas IM2 just loaded straight off and responded to left mouse clicks. (Kinda different to Oblivion, tho)

So I'm getting somewhere, if slowly Found a bunch of 90's vintage Amiga manuals so maybe I better re-examine the lingo.

00.50, time to retire......
Cheers!
Old 13 October 2009, 13:57   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanogoblin View Post
Pretty basic really; I just want to play a few of my favorite Amiga games before I die, namely Power Styx, DungeonMaster, Blue Angel, Boulderdash but most of all, Ghosts 'n Goblins. That's all, I don't want to fool around with Picasso or DirOpus, just those few cool games.
Ah good All of these should run with the A500 quickstart. When you're back you could give a brief description what happens when you try to run them. Also remember that it takes time for a game to load You can use 'End + Pause' to speed up the loading and you can enable the 'On-screen LEDs' on the 'Miscellaneous' panel to see if the game stopped loading (no green led).

Last edited by TCD; 13 October 2009 at 14:19.
Old 13 October 2009, 14:01   #49
DH
Global Moderator

Glad to hear you're getting things up and running mate!

Before long you'll be enjoying yourself with that nostalgic feeling
Old 13 October 2009, 14:14   #50
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You can use 'End + Print' to speed up the loading
End+Pause/Break you mean.
Old 13 October 2009, 14:20   #51
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
End+Pause/Break you mean.
Er... yes, yes that's what I mean Thanks for spotting that Sting
Old 14 October 2009, 00:19   #52
nanogoblin

Morning (and evening) all! OK, propped up in bed with my Acer 5220, mouse docked and away I go.
Good tip about enlivening the LEDs and the End\Pause-Break combo. Now, after loading Blue Angel, I see a bunch of 10 rectangles at lower right of the Amiga window (which is 175mm wide by 160mm high, superimposed on my 330x210 Acer screen)

The 10 rectangles, each about 8x3mm, contain from left:

Numbers rapidly cycling between -04 and -17 (hard to see accurately)
Percentages cycling between 17% and 20% occasionally peeking to 33%
Numbers slowly oscillating from 49 to 50
Solid red
HD
CD
Green with white numbers overlaid, cycling 00 to about 23
Dark green
Dark green
Dark green

So, after having selected the Blue_Angel_69.adf for DF0 and starting up, there's a short pause then I see the spidery golden fingers holding the blue ball, above the Magic Bytes logo. I hear the creepy-type music and wait.....and wait.....and wait.....

So I press the End\Pause-Break combo and several indicators go into overdrive, but there's no other progress.

BTW, the "native" indicator panels, in the bottom of the gray Amiga window border show, in normal mode:
SND:-3% to 13%
CPU: 15% TO 22%
FPS: 49 to 50
Power
HD
CD
Numbers cycling rapidly 00 to 30

The key combo causes FPS and '00 to 30' to go off the clock, along with changes to the 'LED's. The first two freeze on random numbers and the third from left goes hyperactive. The 'green with white numbers' LED flickers rapidly.

Apart from that, no change.

F12 works fine and gets me back to Config.
Now, I eject Blue Angel and load 'Deluxpac.adf'. There's a slight delay then I see the familiar blue 'Amiga DOS' screen with:
'Copyright 1987 Commodore Amiga Inc'
All rights reserved
Release 1.3
1>(Steady orange square)

If I click on this screen with my laptop pointer, it becomes a blocky orange arrow (Alt\Tab works, incidentally) that responds to both my touchpad and to my USB mouse.

Now I can add white text to the blue screen, such as Avada Kedavra, and then hit my Enter key to get "Unknown command Avada"

So there's my progress so far. One small step for an Amiganoob, one even smaller step for personkind .

Wow, 11:15am. Time to spring out of bed and greet the (gloomy) Arrowtown dawn. Bye for now....
Old 14 October 2009, 00:36   #53
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, I'm not sure where you got those ADFs from, so go to the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633), to the folder 'TOSEC/Games/[ADF]/B' and grab 'Blue Angel 69 (1989)(Magic Bytes)[cr VF - Bencor Bros].zip'. This one should start and play without any issues with the A500 most common quickstart
Next up : Deluxe Pacman
For the 1.6 version to work you need to load Workbench first. This means stick a WB disk in DF0 and the game disk in DF1. For a quick play, just grab this version : 'Deluxe Pac-Man v1.4 (1994)(Vigdal, Edgar)(SW).zip' off the file server in the folder 'TOSEC/Games/Public Domain/[ADF]'. Start it with the A1200 4 MB expanded config and it should load right away (choose no if it asks you about NTSC).

Last edited by TCD; 14 October 2009 at 00:45.
Old 14 October 2009, 00:56   #54
nanogoblin

Thanks TCD, I'd wondered if maybe it was just corrupted adfs, or bad versions. Hey, that Edgar Vigdal PacMan was brilliant. We swapped a few emails back in the eighties, for some reason or another. Nice guy to deal with

Have to go and do a few PC jobs now, so I'll come back later when I get some spare time. Much appreciated
Old 14 October 2009, 01:16   #55
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
then I see the spidery golden fingers holding the blue ball, above the Magic Bytes logo.
That's funny you mention it in that narrative manner, because I was completely desperate to lay my hands on the demo Defjam had done in their prime with a astonishing use (hijiacking ) of this logo (i had forget almost everything about it, except the logo was MagicBytes').

It's rather primitive and the sampled tune is a bit silly, but for me it didn't age a bit. (OT, sorry about that)

Last edited by NewDeli; 14 October 2009 at 01:35.
Old 14 October 2009, 01:37   #56
nanogoblin

lol, Blue Angel was the first (well, maybe the second) game that Mrs. Nanogoblin and I played together when we first met around '93 (14th wedding anniversary today, actually). She had a knack for this game and I could never defeat her

You know, I often wonder whether nostalgia trips are as much about the events of the time that you did 'X' (played an Amiga, rode a Triumph 650, tramped, hitched etc etc) as the hobby or occupation itself.
Old 14 October 2009, 02:01   #57
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
But I'd completely forgotten that some Amiga stuff requires esoteric incantations and <gasp> command thingys like DIR
I think you should read this .
Old 14 October 2009, 02:24   #58
nanogoblin

OK, further progress. I'm now on my main PC (XPP, Athlon 2800, 2GB).

I followed TCD's helpful links to the server and grabbed Blue Angel and DeluxePacman. The kickrom on this computer is 'Amiga Kickstart 1.3 (34.5) (A500-A2500-A3000-CDTV) (Commodore) (1987).rom', which is the only kick in the path folder.

However, I can't tell if the kickstart rom is the same as I'm using here, as the path on the laptop points to a folder containing 80 other assorted kicks, and while IT knows which one it's selected, I don't know how to ID the file.

I must be doing something basically wrong, or different to the laptop, as, if I load Blue Angel to DF0 and start the game I get:
"The floppy disk (image file) in DF0: is not compatible with the system ROM replacement functionality"

If I switch it DF1:
"You need to have a floppy disk (image file) in DF0: to use the system ROM replacement".

Old 14 October 2009, 02:39   #59
NewDeli
Banned

I think TCD will deal with that Kickstart version issue since he hooked you to EAB File Server in the first place. I can tell you this, without taking much risk of loosing you, hopefully :
The loading of a game which would only run from the Workbench should be done in two steps (let's focus on df0: for now) :
First load the Workbench (any 1.3 deemed "bootable" one should do), and then "eject" it and insert the game ADF.

After double-clicking on the floppy icon, you should finally see its own icon (executable). And that's what needs to be clicked for the game to start.
Old 14 October 2009, 07:24   #60
tero

@nanogoblin
Using System ROM replacement means your ROM isn't used

First check:
go to 'Paths' tab and press 'Rescan ROM's' see if 'A500 Boot ROM1.3' is available

got to 'ROM' tab and see if your ROM is listed in the pullDownList (Main Rom File)

You can try to set the ROM by Hand with the '...' button in case Rom is not listed after all

Hope this will help
If all doesn't help you may can copy the ROM's from the other PC