English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 23 June 2008, 19:23   #1
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Action Replay 3

I have an idea. please feel free to tell me why it is stupid and why it wont work. failing that, tell me why it will work and how i can do it

i dont really know much about that edge connector on the A500, but i was wondering.... if i was to put a lowly kick1.2 (or 1.3) flashed eprom into one of my A600's (!!) would it be possible to re-wire the action replay to work on it? maybe hard-wire the bugger in there somewhere?!

at the moment this is just a crazy idea, and i've absolutely no idea how it would be approached, but i do have a spare a600 and a spare Ar-III, and it would be nice to free up some desk space!

that is all. please hardware gods, tell me what must / must not be done
Old 23 June 2008, 23:06   #2
Jope
-

Should be possible. Check the schematics of both to locate the signals. AR3 works with 2.04/2.05. 68010 causes problems.

Redesign the AR3 pcb while you're at it, make a version that clips over the 68000 inside the A600. :-P
Old 23 June 2008, 23:43   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post

i don't really know much about that edge connector on the A500, but i was wondering.... if i was to put a lowly kick1.2 (or 1.3) flashed eprom into one of my A600's (!!) would it be possible to re-wire the action replay to work on it? maybe hard-wire the bugger in there somewhere?!

at the moment this is just a crazy idea, and I've absolutely no idea how it would be approached, but i do have a spare a600 and a spare Ar-III, and it would be nice to free up some desk space!

that is all. please hardware gods, tell me what must / must not be done
In truth, my project #3 is an edge connector to the A600! Don't expect it for this year, btw...

First I need to finish the RGB > YUV on A520's case (waiting for a chip and then the PCB) and finish the development of the new acc...
Old 23 June 2008, 23:49   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Action Replay 3 mainly wouldn't work because of the memory configuration of the A600, as far as I remember it simply won't work on a 1 meg chip ram machine.
Old 23 June 2008, 23:57   #5
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Action Replay 3 mainly wouldn't work because of the memory configuration of the A600, as far as I remember it simply won't work on a 1 meg chip ram machine.
no real test, but its ok on winuae.... if that means anything

and AR-III does have a "0.5M or MAX" chip setting, which kind of implies it should work with >512k
Old 24 June 2008, 11:46   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I think it does work on 1MB Chip machines, it has problems with kick 2.04 however (it enters the cartridge after reset and stuff, not sure if all versions have that problem).

I can test it on my 1MB Chip A500 (unfortunately 1.3 only) when I come back from work this evening.
Old 24 June 2008, 12:08   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I think it does work on 1MB Chip machines, it has problems with kick 2.04 however (it enters the cartridge after reset and stuff, not sure if all versions have that problem).

I can test it on my 1MB Chip A500 (unfortunately 1.3 only) when I come back from work this evening.
I remember trying it on A500 Plus and it didn't work, but then that is Kickstart 2.0
Old 24 June 2008, 12:09   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I remember trying it on A500 Plus and it didn't work, but then that is Kickstart 2.0
Yep, 2.xx Kickstart was most likely causing the problems for you.
Old 24 June 2008, 14:24   #9
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

this is all good to know. I figured it must be the 2.xx causing problems - i'm sure i've tried that combo on winuae previously

so.. rkauer... are you implying that the edge-connector adaptor would be wired into where exactly? into the trapdoor slot i guess? i know you mentioned recently PCI slot spacing was the same.... so i'll look into salvaging a connector from an old PC
Old 24 June 2008, 15:21   #10
Jope
-

The last versions of AR3 work with 2.04 and A500+s.. I have used mine in an A500+ many times and I had 2.04 on my A500 till the very end.
Old 24 June 2008, 19:08   #11
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

actually, now you say that, i'm reminded of a friend of mine who had (i think) an A500+, and he had one too! (the one that i'm about to butcher in fact!)

which version of ar-3 did you have galahad? (although i havent checked which ar-3 revisions mine are yet, i'd always assumed they were one of the later ones)
Old 24 June 2008, 19:13   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
actually, now you say that, i'm reminded of a friend of mine who had (i think) an A500+, and he had one too! (the one that i'm about to butcher in fact!)

which version of ar-3 did you have galahad? (although i havent checked which ar-3 revisions mine are yet, i'd always assumed they were one of the later ones)
Mine was one of the earliest, I traded my AR2 for the MK3 with Datel.
Old 24 June 2008, 19:17   #13
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
AR3 does work till kickstart 37.299. It doesn't after 37.300. I believe something to do with IDE/Gayle registers (tested on A500+ with 2mb chip ram).
Old 25 June 2008, 00:09   #14
rkauer

Quote:
this is all good to know. I figured it must be the 2.xx causing problems - i'm sure i've tried that combo on winuae previously

so.. rkauer... are you implying that the edge-connector adaptor would be wired into where exactly? into the trapdoor slot i guess? i know you mentioned recently PCI slot spacing was the same.... so i'll look into salvaging a connector from an old PC
No way! The edge connector must on... edge.

Q: "But it won't conflict with the PCMCIA slot?"
A: No if I put it a little back (near the PSU intake).

Q: "But then the Amiga will not look kinky?"
A: "Yep, but since it works..."

For the PCI slot: It is only useful for making a DIY trapdoor expansion of any kind. For example: RTC, 1Mb memory expansion or a pre-amplifier (really silly, since the Amiga itself have on-board pre-amp)...

Hmm... Not silly at all! You can build a mixer in there and route the CD audio lines for it!

For the edge connector: its spacing is the very same of Zorro (don't pull from A2000s, those are invaluable!) and really old peecees with ISA and EISA slots (burn those with no regrets!)

Last edited by rkauer; 25 June 2008 at 00:25.
Old 25 June 2008, 00:34   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

no no, my action replay 3 -must- go inside! the only thing that will be allowed 'out' will be an extension to the activation switch!

if that means wires between it and the amiga motherboard, then so be it! i am more interested in where on the motherboard my wires will connect
Old 25 June 2008, 03:29   #16
rkauer

Quote:
no no, my action replay 3 -must- go inside! the only thing that will be allowed 'out' will be an extension to the activation switch!

if that means wires between it and the amiga motherboard, then so be it! i am more interested in where on the motherboard my wires will connect
SO that's only a case of know the A500 edge connector pinout and pinpoint all connected signals to an equivalent place!
Old 25 June 2008, 07:27   #17
adolescent