English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 January 2011, 18:06   #1
TronPlayer

Loading ADF's on real amiga

Hi,
I have a simple educational program (ABCgames) that I'm attempting to load on my real amiga and run from the HD for my kids. I've copied it to my HD via Dopus ADF->HDF. The program is looking for the volume ABCGames. What is the best way to run this on my Amiga from the hard drive?
Old 24 January 2011, 18:48   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Assign 'ABCGames' to the folder on your HD (e.g. 'assign ABCGames: DH0:ABCGames').
Old 24 January 2011, 18:56   #3
TronPlayer

Thanks, I think this is what I'm looking for. In DOS I used to set the ENV variable for this and was looking for something similar.

I just tried it and it worked perfectly, thanks again. Could someone please help me with the following? I need to create something like a script that would Assign the ABCGames and launch the application. Also, I would like to be able to create an icon for the script file to make it easy to launch.

Last edited by TCD; 24 January 2011 at 20:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 24 January 2011, 20:19   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You're welcome Upload what you have so far and I'll have a look.
Old 27 January 2011, 17:19   #5
TronPlayer

@TheCyberDruid,
I had another question for you. I would like to be able to run some older floppies that I have from WorkBench. The startup sequence on the floppy loads amigados 1.3 and then loads the program with an AMOS extension. I can't seem to figure out a way to open an amigados 1.3 window and run this software from within WB. Several whdload titles open a 1.3 window and then load older software. How would I achieve this?
Old 27 January 2011, 17:53   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I tried to run a few AMOS titles from HD myself and so far I wasn't successful (never really cared too much about it tbh). I will ask HungryHorace later if he knows if and how it can be done.

Last edited by TCD; 27 January 2011 at 19:21. Reason: Added an 's' ;)
Old 27 January 2011, 19:22   #7
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

no problem running AMOS games from HD - it just depends on what the original coder did as-to file location, whether you need to set up any assigns etc

a "safe" route would be to make a WHDload slave of course, but in 99% of cases it would be unnessesary i think, as most (all??) will work on 3.x anyway
Old 27 January 2011, 19:34   #8
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I think its using RAMOS - The Amos System folder has to be in the Root or something I dont know what the latest version of RAMOS is?
Old 27 January 2011, 19:39   #9
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

eugh. RAMOS... so it is not properly compiled then.

it is probably looking for SYS:AP_System/

give me some time and i'll try a quick WHD install for it. (assuming ABCgames is the only thing we are looking for here?)
Old 27 January 2011, 19:47   #10
Retro1234
Phone Homer

@TronPlayer is it Fun School?

Assuming it has the Amos System file you could just Copy All Source to Ram: - CD Ram: -Ramos File.Amos.
Assign Blah Blah Ram:

I cant doing anything im sure your sort it Horace
Old 27 January 2011, 22:49   #11
TronPlayer

Thanks a bunch, your all on the right track. One if the titles that I am attempting is indeed Fun School. Also, according the startup sequence "RAMOS1.2 Menu.AMOS" is the procedure. I've included these directories and assigned the disk name. RAMOS1.2 appears to attempt to run then exits after a few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
eugh. RAMOS... so it is not properly compiled then.

it is probably looking for SYS:AP_System/

give me some time and i'll try a quick WHD install for it. (assuming ABCgames is the only thing we are looking for here?)
That would be great but I'm really looking at quite a few installs like this for all versions of fun school, mickey, abcgames and more. Just some help installing one of these would be great so that I can work on the rest.

Just a quick note to let you know that the install I am working on is Funschool3 7+ located in Tosec. There is an AMOS_System directory that I copied to SYS: and I also copied its contents to AP_System as well with no success.

Last edited by TCD; 27 January 2011 at 22:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 28 January 2011, 00:43   #12
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

of course, my mistake, AP system would be if it was coded with AMOS Pro ...

AMOS_System would be if it was coded with AMOS 1.3, which it must have been in order to end up using RAMOS....

SYS: was purely a guess - you will have to list all of the ones you are trying to run, and when i have a solution, we'll see if it works for all of them
Old 28 January 2011, 01:07   #13
TronPlayer

Ok, that sounds great. Thanks a lot. The ones I need to run now are Fun School 2, 3 & 4. All the ones in Tosec (there are around 9 of them). The spelling and wordsearch work fine. Some use 1.3 and some 1.2. These are for good use! I have several kids that will use them daily.
Old 28 January 2011, 23:55   #14
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I have a few fun School games installed for my little cousins and they are good fun also through the Red Door
Didnt spend much time looking, I just copy them to Ram so its all in the root of Ram and execute takes a few seconds no longer than it would to Preload with WHDload obviously.
Old 29 January 2011, 01:43   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

if anyone wants to upload a few ADFs to the zone for me... (or let me know if IPFs are even available for me to source myself)

i probably wont get much chance to have a look until about wednesday... i have college work to do for tuesday that will likely zap-up my Amiga time! (health & safety... ooh the fun :/ )
Old 29 January 2011, 01:47   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You know the file server? Have a lookie in 'TOSEC/Educational/F' there
Old 29 January 2011, 04:42   #17
TronPlayer

Yes, all the files I am using are located on TOSEC/Educational/F. Also, I tried copying the contents of the program to RAM. This time, it seems to have progressed a little further and the screen cleared. It appeared the program was trying to load but then the system just froze. I tried this with a few of the Fun School titles.
Old 30 January 2011, 17:38   #18
TronPlayer

There is another Europress title that is having the same issue. It is Merlins Maths. Hopefully when you have a solution for Fun School it will work for Merlins Maths as well. Also, I had a question. How would I reassign DF0:? I would like to assign DF0: to a directory but I get an error "Can't cancel DF0". I assume because this is my real floppy but I'll reassign it once the program terminates.
Old 30 January 2011, 18:32   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Try
Code:
assign DF0: dismount
before your actual assign line.
Old 30 January 2011, 18:59   #20
TronPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Try