English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 November 2015, 01:55   #101
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

My experience with the Ryś MKII USB Adapter has been very positive.

I've tested a 1Life m:quick USB optical mouse and it works wonders. I've also tested the Dell M0A8b0 USB optical mouse and it worked very well too.

I've also tested a NPlay GX102 USB gamepad, a Hama Black Force USB gamepad, a Vinyson Dual Shock Power Pad II and they all worked very well, both in joypad or joystick mode.

I've also tested a Playstation-to-USB converter, the APL Super Dual Box Pro with a genuine Sony Dual Shock II gamepad and it also worked well.

As for bad news: I tested a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 1000 and it didn't work.
Old 03 November 2015, 02:28   #102
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
I received the Ryś MKII today and went on to test it with a few rodents I have lurking around the house.
  • An HP-branded Logitech M-UAE-96 mouse (this is the default mouse shipped with most HP computers):

Weirdly enough, is seems to accept only diagonal movements. Although it is definitely possible to position the mouse cursor everywhere on the screen, only diagonal movements can be used to get there.
    This is really weird!
    I also tested it with Space Harrier and the issue is (obviously) also present there: the character moves only along diagonals.
I just checked the list of supported devices on the site and noticed that one of my mouses which moves along diagonals is actually on the list:
 Logitech M-UAE96 - usb/ps2, przewodowa

I am not too sure how to explain the mouse behaviour on my machine. Could this be due to an old firmware version? In any case I will try to flash to the latest firmware soon and report here.
Old 03 November 2015, 13:17   #103
spidi

Quote:
I just checked the list of supported devices on the site and noticed that one of my mouses which moves along diagonals is actually on the list:
 Logitech M-UAE96 - usb/ps2, przewodowa

I am not too sure how to explain the mouse behaviour on my machine. Could this be due to an old firmware version? In any case I will try to flash to the latest firmware soon and report here.
Please first upload the latest firmware.If the upgrade does not help, then try to change the mode of mouse on slower (pressing the middle mouse button or a wheel and move the mouse left and right until it starts blinking LED).
Old 04 November 2015, 04:42   #104
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidi View Post
Please first upload the latest firmware.If the upgrade does not help, then try to change the mode of mouse on slower (pressing the middle mouse button or a wheel and move the mouse left and right until it starts blinking LED).
I successfully uploaded and flashed the latest firmware for the Amiga and this initially did not modify the behaviour but pressing the middle button + left/right to change the mouse speed did bring some very nice improvements:
  • With the logitech mouse, the second mode is almost usable: diagonals are still visible but only at high speeds.
    With the third (and last?) mode, the movement is fine 90% of the time. It is only when I move the mouse really fast in a circle that it is possible to notice that it sometimes follows diagonals.
    In practice, this is absolutely fine and the mouse is now perfectly usable.
  • With the Razer Naga however the situation is quite different.
    Mode two and three bring some improvements and it is now possible to move the mouse at slow-medium speed and control the cursor normaly.
    But there are still issues which I think are not the Rys's fault.:
    • Even at slow speeds, the cursor moves very fast and it is hard to pinpoint pixels precisely.
    • At medium speed, the cursor moves in the general direction of the movement but sometimes skips a bit and jumps left or right abruptly.
    • At high speed, the cursor jumps all over the place like crazy.
    I am fairly certain that this is due to the mouse having very high DPI which causes both the imprecision at low speed and likely the overflow of the mouse counters at high speed.
    AmigaOS is supposed to detect and correct mouse counter overflows (as indicated in the HRM) but given the very high DPI I suspect that they occur several times per VBL and must cause absolutely random readings which the OS cannot possibly compensate for.
    I will try to test this theory soon but as it is it seems probable that high DPI mouse like the Razer ones cannot be used because of the Amiga hardware and software limitations.

In any case, I am now very happy to be able to use the Logitech optical mouse with my Amiga. Thanks for this very nice little piece of electronics!
Old 05 November 2015, 20:41   #105
spidi

Quote:
I successfully uploaded and flashed the latest firmware for the Amiga and this initially did not modify the behaviour but pressing the middle button + left/right to change the mouse speed did bring some very nice improvements:
  • With the logitech mouse, the second mode is almost usable: diagonals are still visible but only at high speeds.
    With the third (and last?) mode, the movement is fine 90% of the time. It is only when I move the mouse really fast in a circle that it is possible to notice that it sometimes follows diagonals.
    In practice, this is absolutely fine and the mouse is now perfectly usable.
  • With the Razer Naga however the situation is quite different.
    Mode two and three bring some improvements and it is now possible to move the mouse at slow-medium speed and control the cursor normaly.
    But there are still issues which I think are not the Rys's fault.:
    • Even at slow speeds, the cursor moves very fast and it is hard to pinpoint pixels precisely.
    • At medium speed, the cursor moves in the general direction of the movement but sometimes skips a bit and jumps left or right abruptly.
    • At high speed, the cursor jumps all over the place like crazy.
    I am fairly certain that this is due to the mouse having very high DPI which causes both the imprecision at low speed and likely the overflow of the mouse counters at high speed.
    AmigaOS is supposed to detect and correct mouse counter overflows (as indicated in the HRM) but given the very high DPI I suspect that they occur several times per VBL and must cause absolutely random readings which the OS cannot possibly compensate for.
    I will try to test this theory soon but as it is it seems probable that high DPI mouse like the Razer ones cannot be used because of the Amiga hardware and software limitations.

In any case, I am now very happy to be able to use the Logitech optical mouse with my Amiga. Thanks for this very nice little piece of electronics!

Will soon be available a new update with support for CD32 joypad and joystick emulation on the keyboard.
Old 09 November 2015, 14:53   #106
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
There is a high probability. But not tested Sega Saturn USB
Has anybody tested a Saturn USB pad (not the real Saturn pad with USB adapter) with this adapter? Or at least any pad with WHDLoad games which have full CD32 button mapping like Battle Squadron or Flashback?
Ba
Old 08 December 2015, 00:51   #107
spidi

Quote:

Will soon be available a new update with support for CD32 joypad and joystick emulation on the keyboard.

The upgrade is available.

New features:
- CD32 pad mode (original CD32 pad emulation mode),
- joystick emulation mode on USB keyboards,
- support for USB joystick Competition Pro models SL-6603-GOLD and SL-6603-SBK

Dedicated Ryś MKII download ==> RysMKII_20151129.7z
Dedicated Ryś USB download ==> Rys_20151129.7z
Old 08 December 2015, 01:18   #108
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Thanks for the update, spidi. Too bad my suggestion didn't make it, but it's still very good to see the continued support for such a nice piece of hardware. Cheers!
Old 09 December 2015, 13:35   #109
Nostromo

Just ordered mine!
Old 03 January 2016, 22:15   #110
spidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Thanks for the update, spidi. Too bad my suggestion didn't make it, but it's still very good to see the continued support for such a nice piece of hardware. Cheers!
Small firmware update to Ryś MKII

This update enables assigning "up" command to the "square" / 4 button when PAD mode. It also brings various fixes for user-reported bugs.
Download ==> RysMKII_20160103.7z
Old 04 January 2016, 00:40   #111
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

thank you, spidi!
Old 04 January 2016, 13:47   #112
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Small firmware update to Ryś MKII

This update enables assigning "up" command to the "square" / 4 button when PAD mode. It also brings various fixes for user-reported bugs.
Download ==> RysMKII_20160103.7z
Nice!

Is there any chance that the Amiga could be used to set up some configurations?
The three buttons lines can be configured into outputs so it would be easy for the Amiga to send some kind of setup information with map pings and the likes.

An open protocol could be used by a dedicated Ryś tool (or WHDLoad or anything) to setup the proper mapping prior to launching the game.
Old 04 January 2016, 19:38   #113
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

Hi do the pads work in whdload games
Old 04 January 2016, 20:09   #114
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
Hi do the pads work in whdload games
The Ryś generates signals just like a regular mouse or digital joystick so compatible PlayStation/XBox/PC pads would work with everything. From originals to cracked versions with WHDLoad patches in between.
Old 04 January 2016, 22:14   #115
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

Thank you ReadOnlyCat
Old 10 January 2016, 14:47   #116
TuKo
Apollo Team

Hi guys

Just received mine. It's been working very well with about anyhting I'll throw at him (except my Logitech Performance MX).

I'm currently using it with my A600 with this adapter but I find it a bit fragile.

Is there a way to modify the Rys case design to directly fit the A600 ?

Best Regards

Last edited by TuKo; 10 January 2016 at 18:11.
Old 10 January 2016, 22:29   #117
Paulso

Hi TuKo,
I was reviewing the Rys for my own A600 this week and spotted the type of extension/adapter you are using. Does it cause sagging or does the Rys disconnect easily? It looks like it would stick out too far for my liking. I guess cutting the Rys silver casing wouldnt help stability either since it looks nice and heavy.

The best approach would be to use a joystick extension lead instead, the Rys can be cable managed behind your A600 out of the way :-)
Old 11 January 2016, 10:40   #118
-Acid-

So does connecting a USB-PS2 adapter and PS pad work out of the box without doing much else using this adapter as a CD32 7 button pad?
Old 11 January 2016, 22:11   #119
spudje

You'd better get the kipper2k db9 - ps adapter I guess http://kipper2k.com/psx.html
Old 11 January 2016, 22:25   #120
TuKo
Apollo Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulso View Post
Hi TuKo,
I was reviewing the Rys for my own A600 this week and spotted the type of extension/adapter you are using. Does it cause sagging or does the Rys disconnect easily? It looks like it would stick out too far for my liking. I guess cutting the Rys silver casing wouldnt help stability either since it looks nice and heavy.

The best approach would be to use a joystick extension lead instead, the Rys can be cable managed behind your A600 out of the way :-)
It doesn't disconnect by himself only with his weight, so I won't say it disconnects easily but for sure if you put too much movement to your mouse, it'll disconnect if the USB connector also moves.