English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 17 October 2011, 17:42   #1
Nut

Lame 3.99 for Amiga ?

Any chance somebody with the skills could compile Lame in similar fashion as some older versions were compiled? So that we got versions for 000, 020, 020fpu, 040fpu and 060fpu. As an example you can look at Aminet for Lame3982d how it was done. There is also ixemul.library v48 compiled this way. Unfortunately I can't find similar for v63, but v48 works for me.

I don't know how to do this but would greatly appreciate if somebody could do it and upload to some archive, like Aminet for example. I'm doing software for the Amiga that would use LAME and FLAC. If not, then I just have to use older versions but I'm afraid those have worse quality.

You can find Lame here - http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame/files/lame/3.99/

Just asking, sometimes there's an angel.
Old 19 October 2011, 22:56   #2
Nut

Hi folks, another day.

Can you atleast give me instructions how to compile Lame? I try to do it first for PC so I can understand the basics of compiling. I got minGW compiler (gcc) and Lame 3.99 package. What next? There is some INSTALL instructions but they don't lead anywhere. I don't have CONFIGURE command that it's talking about (UNIX command, well I got Windows!). I'm pretty sure this can output 68k code. Atleast I got BINUTILS (part of gcc) they mentioned I would need for that.

If we get this going, you all will get a new version of LAME. And perhaps something else, you want latest FLAC? But that's up to you if you can help me get through this. These run on Amiga just fine (bit slow but I'm going to pack only small 1-5 second samples / even 030 can do this) with the ixemul.library.

Personally I'd be fine with just getting LAME 3.99

You are coders, you should know this stuff Me, I only do ASM.
Old 20 October 2011, 13:41   #3
phx
Natteravn

No need for running configure. If you had read the INSTALL documentation until end you would have seen that there is already a preconfigured Makefile.unix ready to use.

On my NetBSD box I just ran
Code:
gmake -f Makefile.unix
and got a libmp3lame and lame executable after 22 seconds without any warning.

I would use this Makefile.unix as a starting point to modify it for AmigaOS. Hint: There is already an AmigaOS section in it (even without using ixemul).
Old 21 October 2011, 19:44   #4
Nut

OK, I did the "gmake -f Makefile.unix" thing yes, but this does not work on minGW (a lot of errors). Anyway, I ditched minGW and got GCC 2.9534 for Amiga.

Now, this thing GCC should be configured somehow for the Amiga so it could compile. Directories... I don't know what to do. I tried compiling some old sources I had, which I got compiled on minGW, but it just complains it can't find several files (gpp, ld... etc). Oh well.

Yes, sounds very easy... next I'm going to ask Lorence Lombardo to compile Lame, sure he knows his stuff. I see he has uploaded several audio tools to Aminet just a few days ago!

Thanks anyway. I would still be glad to know how to compile. Just tell me how to setup GCC for Amiga.
Old 25 October 2011, 21:38   #5
Nut

Lorence told me he had tried to compile Lame 3.99 but it didn't succeed.

He also helped me a bit on the packages, but it's hopeless for somebody who hasn't coded C to try to compile Lame. I rest my case. Tried the alphas, snapshots... but couldn't find all files. And then there's the configuring of the system... paths, assignments... then god knows what Lame would need in itself... to the uninitiated it's a mess. If Lorence can not do it, how could I?

Well I guess somebody picks it up later when Natami comes out. More cpu power - more people want to do encoding.

I'll keep to ASM. Simple and elegant.
Old 25 October 2011, 23:58   #6
Leffmann

I would try contacting the person who compiled and uploaded 3.98.2 to Aminet, chances are he could get the most recent version to compile too.

Most of these portable utilities are meant to be compiled using GCC in a Unix-like environment, so you could try installing Cygwin and then get the GCC 4.5 from http://amiga.sf.net/ and work into your Cygwin-install. You'll also find a more recent version of LAME and ixemul on that url.
Old 13 April 2012, 19:30   #7
Nut

DMX did it ! Thank you, DMX.

I did not request it, but here it is

http://aminet.net/package/mus/misc/lameA68K-3.99.5