English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 July 2002, 23:49   #1
Paragon

Floppy disk Picasso installation

Hello all,

I am using the excellent installation-instructions for the WinUAE system found here:

http://noesis.eos.gr/guybrush/amiga/uaestart.html

The thing is, I can't see how I am supposed to install Picasso? I have downloaded the program and all that, and Workbench is up and running fine, but I really need a step-by-step install..

So, anyone up for it?

Thanks in advance!

Old 20 July 2002, 00:24   #2
LordBug

I'm going to assume you have a "hard drive" (either a hardfile, or a directory) for your Amiga.

0. Make sure your boot config has RTG RAM, otherwise Picasso96 can't load. 4MB is plenty.

1. Download Picasso96 .

2. Download LHA (I suggest the EXE-only for ease)

3. Stick LHA into your Amiga's path (I usually use C)

4. Decompress Picasso96 with LHA (LHA X (X! not E!))

5. Go into your Picasso96 directory (where ever you decompressed it to) and run SETUP

-1- This is obviously your first install, so choose "First Install"
-2- Stay with "Intermediate User"
-3- Install for Real (duh ).
-4- READ the next few screens. Both are important in their own ways.
-5- You might want to read the manual when prompted. Up to you.
-6- Select UAEGFX as your Graphics board. Don't select any others (unless you're doing this on a Real Amiga ).
-7- Go ahead and use the default install locations.
-8- Personally, I don't have a Work: volume, so I stick the Support Files onto DH0:. Up to you. Either way works.
-9- Go ahead and copy the application drivers over.
-10- I don't print anything from inside WinUAE, so I don't ever start the P96_PrinterPatch.
-11- Take a last look at your choices, make sure they're good. Last chance to change anything.
-12- Hit "Proceed" several times. Might wanna read the messages too
-13- Once the install is finished, you MUST "reboot" the emulator.

6. Now that you have rebooted the Amiga, you can go into Screenmode Prefs and get some better modes. Ignore Picasso96Mode in Prefs. It's only good if you have a Real Graphics Card in a Real Amiga.

7. In Screenmode Prefs, scroll down to the "uaegfx:" mode that you want. I usually run in 800x600x16 bit in a window, or 1024x768x16 bit at full screen. Use whatever you want.

Something to remember: Now that Picasso96 is installed, WinUAE Display properties do NOT control the Workbench screen size. On boot up, Picasso96 will resize the screen/window to whatever you setup in Screenmode prefs. The WinUAE Display properties do control non-workbench screens (like GAMES).
Old 20 July 2002, 09:09   #3
Paragon

Quote:
3. Stick LHA into your Amiga's path (I usually use C)

4. Decompress Picasso96 with LHA (LHA X (X! not E!))

5. Go into your Picasso96 directory (where ever you decompressed it to) and run SETUP
I thank you extremely much for the quick reply, although the above steps seem quite impossible to me... I have a HD-file called uae1.hdf which is 100MB. How do I actually copy things "into" the Amiga to work with them, that's where my problem lies.

I have copied both lha.exe and picasso96 into the same PC-directory where I have installed my HD and have all my Amiga-files.

If you could provide me with just a few more details, maybe the exact thing to do to decompress this Picasso, I think I can get this ball rolling :-)

I typed it all in like this BTW:

lha x picasso96.lha c:/programmer/winuae

c:/prog... is where my Amiga HD is also installed.

I get this error message:

"NTVDM CPU has found an error"

In any case, I am greatly appreciative of your fast efforts, very good to see, as a first-time user of these boards!

Old 20 July 2002, 12:19   #4
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Paragon
How do I actually copy things "into" the Amiga to work with them, that's where my problem lies.
Easy Just add your Windows Directory (where the file is that you want to copy) in the HARDDRIVES section of WinUAE and boot your System, now you are shown the Win Dir as HD of your Amiga (most likely DH1: or HD1: ) and can copy the files between them
Old 21 July 2002, 10:29   #5
Paragon

Well thanks go out to the both of you, because things are working smoothly now!!

Old 29 March 2018, 05:03   #6
methodman

OK I ran the installation procedure based on the Green Alien guide.
http://guide.abime.net/wb3.1/chap5.htm and it says to disable your rtg card, I have two questions Which RTG card should I be using in Winuae Picasso Zorro 4? . In any event it didn't work and I keep getting a nag that says to check my Picasso settings. Is the graphics card independent of Zorro. I thought Zorro was an alternative to the PCI bus or the ISA bus. Am I on the right track or is there a different explanation?
C
Old 29 March 2018, 05:34   #7
methodman

OK I checked my user startup seequence and it says Assign Picasso 96: system-storage/Picasso96 Is this an error?
Old 29 March 2018, 08:08   #8
methodman

I figured it out using the error log. I had my 1200 set to 24 bit addressing space, and I had my RTG settings on PIcasso rather than Winuae. As soon as I changed that everything worked. Thanks for all the help.