English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 23 February 2011, 00:16   #1881
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Nobody can say for sure because they are all different (eg one version of 1B may have had the fixes at the applied at the factory and another one won't)

Best revision is ID3 apparently (rare).
Even 1D3 have timing issues.
Old 23 February 2011, 00:34   #1882
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

In theory my rev.2B is one of the worsts, but it's working without problems without even seeing how the timing issues caps are. Now I'm posting using Ibrowse for 68020 (no FPU) and my speed is 8,1mb.
There can't be so many revisions with problems (appart of taking out those caps for non adjusted timing issues), as IC tried their ACA's surely with almost all of them, if not all.
Old 23 February 2011, 00:45   #1883
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Even 1D3 have timing issues.
Can you check mine before you send it back to me....want to make sure it will work with an ACA

Last edited by NovaCoder; 23 February 2011 at 02:36.
Old 23 February 2011, 02:42   #1884
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Can you check mine before you send it back to me....want to make sure it will work with an ACA
Yours was giving yellow screen when testing with our test memory cards. I removed caps and now they work fine.
So timing issues arent just limited to accelerators, .

I will give it a full testing once all caps are repalced.
Old 23 February 2011, 03:06   #1885
NovaCoder

Cool, thanks for that my good man
Old 23 February 2011, 11:38   #1886
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I found a player that works right with the ACA: Song Player (version 1.63 in Aminet, not the one of CWB39)
It plays even Mp3, but the sound quality with them isn't very good (don't know why). But if you convert them to Aiff you will listen to them really very very well, and it plays smoothly, letting you open other programs at the same time.
The only thing it lacks it's some skins, but I've found SongFace, that makes it look great.

EDIT:Amplifier works much better than AmigaAmp, but it's not as good as SongPlayer.

Last edited by Retrofan; 25 February 2011 at 09:24.
Old 23 February 2011, 20:39   #1887
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
My ACA 630's attachment to the CPU seems to be unreliable. My Amiga failed during the party resulting yellow screen and blinking power LED. The whole computer with turboboard worked fine for a week before, many hours per day. But then I brought it to an Amiga party and after a warm-up (about one and half hour) it failed.

After returning home I turned my Junebug on and it worked fine, but again - after some 2 hours the symptoms returned - yellow plus blinks. I opened the case, pushed ACA to the CPU and then it worked fine again, for some 4 hours. But then somebody kicked my table (not so firmly) where Amiga was laying and it resulted system hang-up, black screen and all three LEDs lit. I had to open the case again and push ACA one more time. It seems those two screws are just insufficient to keep the card in its place properly and I will have to work out some better solution.

And yes - the contacts were cleaned with alcohol before I installed the card. It is also possible that there are those microcracks on 68000's feet that Jens was talking about.
Old 23 February 2011, 20:54   #1888
ndial

Oh God!
Old 23 February 2011, 21:11   #1889
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
My ACA 630's attachment to the CPU seems to be unreliable. My Amiga failed during the party resulting yellow screen and blinking power LED. The whole computer with turboboard worked fine for a week before, many hours per day. But then I brought it to an Amiga party and after a warm-up (about one and half hour) it failed.

After returning home I turned my Junebug on and it worked fine, but again - after some 2 hours the symptoms returned - yellow plus blinks. I opened the case, pushed ACA to the CPU and then it worked fine again, for some 4 hours. But then somebody kicked my table (not so firmly) where Amiga was laying and it resulted system hang-up, black screen and all three LEDs lit. I had to open the case again and push ACA one more time. It seems those two screws are just insufficient to keep the card in its place properly and I will have to work out some better solution.

And yes - the contacts were cleaned with alcohol before I installed the card. It is also possible that there are those microcracks on 68000's feet that Jens was talking about.
You can buy some small thin nuts and bolts that will work much better, obviously you cant overtighten them but they wont slip and pull at the board like the screws. There is lots of room on the underside of the board for the small nuts
Old 23 February 2011, 21:15   #1890
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Yup, I was thinking about something like that. But It would need at least three nuts instead of four for the good solid stability. I hope I will find any suitable solution and I will report then.
Old 23 February 2011, 23:03   #1891
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Yup, I was thinking about something like that. But It would need at least three nuts instead of four for the good solid stability. I hope I will find any suitable solution and I will report then.
Odd,

Mine is rock solid, it cant move off the cpu.
Did you overtighten screws?

Else, I would go with micro cracks too.
Old 24 February 2011, 06:20   #1892
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Other thing: I found a player that works right with the ACA: Song Player (version 1.63 in Aminet, not the one of CWB39)
It plays even Mp3, but the sound quality with them isn't very good (don't know why)
Yeah, just for the fun of it, I was toying with MP3s. Songplayer came on my ClassicWB FULL, so I tried it.
Now, I have an ACA1230/28, so it's not the top of the line...
The demo song that came with it was terrible. So I started converting down bitrates.
48k was almost workable, but not quite...
32k was the suite spot! (well, very "tinny" mono suite spot )
So, I was listening to a 5 minute song from 1.2M MP3 file!!!

Now, there are better ways to get music on the Amiga, but I was imagining what might have been possible around '93 when MP3s were starting...
I never tried it on my Amiga then (no accelerator), but I can imagine I would have been pretty excited doing that!!!

desiv
Old 24 February 2011, 11:56   #1893
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Yeah, just for the fun of it, I was toying with MP3s. Songplayer came on my ClassicWB FULL, so I tried it.
Now, I have an ACA1230/28, so it's not the top of the line...
The demo song that came with it was terrible. So I started converting down bitrates.
48k was almost workable, but not quite...
32k was the suite spot! (well, very "tinny" mono suite spot )
So, I was listening to a 5 minute song from 1.2M MP3 file!!!

Now, there are better ways to get music on the Amiga, but I was imagining what might have been possible around '93 when MP3s were starting...
I never tried it on my Amiga then (no accelerator), but I can imagine I would have been pretty excited doing that!!!

desiv
With SongFace http://aminet.net/package/mus/misc/SongFace you can make it to look like this:

The good it has is it comes already configured in SongFace, so it will play really well, although you still can improve it. But the best with difference is to play Aiff files. Ah, I forgot... it comes ready for karaoke.

Last edited by Retrofan; 24 February 2011 at 12:11.
Old 24 February 2011, 21:41   #1894
ishe

Does anyone know if I have a 68030RP33C CPU (black) can I replace the 25B one on ACA1230/28 and have a working MMU processor?
At least the CPU seems to be on a socket...

Old 24 February 2011, 22:04   #1895
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Replacing the EC CPU with an Full CPU (including MMU) would be just fine.
It will void your warranty though afaik.
Old 24 February 2011, 22:28   #1896
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Vesalia offers an ACA 1230/28 with MMU now.

http://www.vesalia.de/e_aca1230-28.htm
Old 24 February 2011, 22:44   #1897
ishe

Ok. Most probably I will only do this if I need the MMU and after the 2 years warranty.
I was also wondering wheter running those 25Mhz CPUs on 28Mhz doesn't introduce instability like some others have on this forum... Maybe the 33Mhz version would give some more stability.

Old 25 February 2011, 04:27   #1898
Cammy

With a MMU you can play Warcraft II, Links Pro, Abuse, Sim Tower and heaps of other high resolution 256 colour games through Shapeshifter even on a 28Mhz 030 (I do), but without a MMU the graphics will be slow as mud unless you used an Indivision MKII with its Graffiti mode.
Old 25 February 2011, 05:25   #1899
dabone

Quote:
Indivision MKII with its Graffiti mode.
Is there any update on the release date for this?

Later,
dabone
Old 25 February 2011, 05:54   #1900
NovaCoder

I'm guessing within a couple of months (finger's crossed)