English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 08 January 2002, 17:34   #1
Chris

ZERO Magazine.

This was THE BEST magazine of the era!!

Though it wasn't dedicated to the Amiga, it showed a major bias to our beloved machine.

It was incredibly witty and well written, but unfortunately, it went badly downhill for the last three or four issues, where upon it died a horrible death.

Ah, the memories!

I've still got all my old copies, and I like to take them out every once in a while, to remind myself of those heady days.
Old 08 January 2002, 23:50   #2
Bloodwych

I totally agree!!

Probably went down hill once they knew their jobs were on the line.

I've got ALL the mags in pristine condition and my favourite cover disk is the very first - with that infamous game Merv the Merciless!!

Read my recent post on finally finishing the game :

Finally finished Merv the Merciless off Zero Issue 1
Old 09 January 2002, 00:35   #3
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Thumbs down I never liked Zero

I must admit that I thought Zero was one of the worst Amiga magazines put out. My cousin used to regularly buy them but as soon as Amiga Format, Amiga Power and CU Amiga were mainstream, Zero was doomed.

- They seemed to hate the Amiga - always putting PC versions ahead of the Amiga ones, saying the Amiga couldn't do this and that constantly. They even liked the puke ST better!

- The jokes were childish. I have one mag at home which has Giles Brandeth (whoever the hell he is) mentioned about 30 times throughout the mag, from the coverdisk right through most reviews. Completely childish.

- The reviews were way over the top, 75% seemed to be a standard score for a naff game. And PC games always got better marks than Amiga ones for some reason.

- Too much space wasted on big pictures and not enough text.

On the plus side:

- Their hackers page where a Basic listing added infinite lives or whatever to games was unique at the time.

- Crystal Tips was good sometimes, like their Shadow of the Bast solution!

Please note that my opinions are based on about 6 Zero mags I have read properly so perhaps I had a bad run?
Old 09 January 2002, 09:57   #4
Big-Byte
Long time member

It was the humour that made Zero so special.. anyone remember the driving lessons.. and Dave Macca McCandless.. I think some of them work for PCZone now...
Old 09 January 2002, 09:59   #5
Tim Janssen

Smile ZERO Hero

I have only two ZERO mags in my posession (November 1990 and June 1992) and have asked myself often why I haven’t bought more issues. I think lack of pocketmoney is an obvious reason.

The most positive point about the magazine is the way reviews were written: although not in-depth they had lots of humour and a style. I quite liked the lay-out: one part of a review is an objective description about the story and features of the game and in the other part the reviewer stressed his/her opinion. It kinda reminded me to Zzap.
I agree with Codetapper about the scores: they were way too high. ZERO was an allround 16-bit magazine and followed the typical “never mind the gameplay, look at the graphics!”-ideology. Even a crap game like Virgin’s Judge Dredd scored somewhere in the 70%.
The number of advertisements in the November 1990 –issue was way too high: it almost took up half the magazine. But on the other hand these are the most beautiful I have ever seen: Mean Streets, Paradroid 90, Awesome, Obitus, Killing Game Show and the Flip-It & Magnose-ad are really artworks.

I don’t know what happened the last few issues of ZERO, but from one month to the other it had turned from an intelligent looking glossy paper into a loudy American A4-sized mag packed in plastic with Smurfs-snot for free. Add to this the fact the magazine was banned one month from WH Smiths because they put a demo of Covergirl Strippoker on coverdisc the chances for survival were nihil.
Old 09 January 2002, 10:18   #6
Big-Byte
Long time member

On another note, does anyone remember another magazine available around that time (UK only I think) - New Computer Express?. It came out fortnightly and sometimes had a dual (or three even) format disc.
Old 09 January 2002, 11:00   #7
Chris

Codetapper,

I think you must have had a bad run, but as the mag was written by Brits, there were probably a lot of jokes and references that you didn't get, such as the "Giles' Jumpers" section. Classic!

The Critics' Corner was another work of literary genius!

When they all had to act out a scene from Neighbours!
Dangerous Dave McCandless! Legendary!

Ah.
Old 09 January 2002, 14:09   #8
Bloodwych

Just to let you know I've uploaded Zero Iss 1 coverdisk in the Zone with Merv the Merciless.

Let me know what you all think in the Merv is Free thread!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 09 January 2002 at 15:03.
Old 09 January 2002, 16:25   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Byte
On another note, does anyone remember another magazine available around that time (UK only I think) - New Computer Express?. It came out fortnightly and sometimes had a dual (or three even) format disc.
This mag?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nce.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1596  
Old 09 January 2002, 16:42   #10
Big-Byte
Long time member

Thats the one!! Blimey, I didnt know that mag had come out over in America.

I used to read it all the time but one day it just stopped.. I think they said it was just a money pit.

Do you remember the edition where they did a spoof future version. It had something like 'Starglider III - realtime raytraced 3d graphics!!'
Old 09 January 2002, 16:46   #11
Big-Byte
Long time member

Update

Just found this link via Google

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/es.../world/nce.htm

Off to read it now...
Old 09 January 2002, 16:51   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hehehe...not bad for a yank, eh? As far as I know, however, it was never really sold in the states (like most of the European magazines we had to import). Which is better, really. At least one of the Euro mags (Amiga Format, I think) had US editions with lamer ads and a few other quibbles that was a turn-off for me. I bought the Euro mags because they were Euro and didn't insult the readers' intelligence. American mags' game coverage was an abomination and it still repulses me to thumb through those old US Amiga mags even today.
Old 11 January 2002, 18:32   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Zero

I used to buy this mag, spookily enough, I stopped buying it when it for some bizarre reason turned into a bad copy of C&VG (is this possible!).

I found it funny, but more often than not, found it was simply a bible for the next load of games I wanted to copy.

The Giles Brandeth thing was funny because of the stuff they used to get away with (having the Giles Brandeth Anagram jumper... WNKEAR)

Taking the piss out of Gremlin for parking a Lotus in a field with a ground clearance of 2mm! It was a genuinly funny mag.... ok the review scores were hit and miss, but frankly, plenty of Amiga mags were guilty of that..... but at least Zero was funny.

Shadow of the Bast 2 anyone? Now Dave 'Macca' McCandless works for some PC rag, as for everyone else...... other than Ludwig Ledbury (Certified God!) who else are we likely to remember?

Sorely missed in this day of endless boring shit!
Old 11 January 2002, 22:57   #14
MethodGit

Unfortunately I missed out on the whole ZERO mag times - back around the time of popularity for UK Amiga mags I didn't even know it existed. Ditto for NCE.

I do remember occasionally buying another virtually-forgotten miggy mag - Amiga Mania. Unfortunately my memory on this one is so scarce (not helped by the fact that the mags are long gone from my possession, seemingly joining all the other C64/Amiga mags that gradually "mysteriously" disappeared throughout the years ) I can only remember what was on the few coverdisks I got from it, so I can't tell you what kind of mag it was, or what the covers were like.

I remember the following full games Amiga Mania supplied on the one disk each time:

Brainball (I think this was from the first issue. For some reason I have two copies of this disk, maybe we bought the same issue again? )
Dungeons Of Avalon (I'm sure Amiga Mania supplied an English version of this normally-German RPG - did an English one exist?)
Dungeons Of Avalon 2 (Ditto for this one)
Crazy Sue 2 (I have a working disk (both as in runnable and disk2fdi-compatible ) of this one, if anyone wants me to I can upload this disk for you when I find it)
Ramses (Interesting Egyptian-ship strategy game where you had to travel across places a lot, and ship stuff. Lots of them. That's it. Multi-player as well. Though not simultaneously, obviously. In German by default, but options at startup allow you to swich to the English tongue, so no problem. Still have disk of this one.)

There was also another game I vaguely remember but sadly lost the disk of (probably almost as fast as I obtained it and the issue it came from). I can't remember the title, but I know it had cool music, it had a rather futuristic tone, and it always showed green fireworks before the start of every stage (and I remember a lot of the stages had a green floor), with a message at the bottom giving you level details and "press fire to continue", and I think you made a trail everywhere you went or something? It also had a kind of level-editor, I vaguely remember. Oh well, hope someone can find the game matching these descriptions and end the mystery.

Were there any other Amiga Mania readers, surely?

I really revolt my whole family now, though - they never treated Amiga mags with respect. I only have a small selection of Amiga Power mags left now..... *sobs*
Old 12 January 2002, 11:29   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@Galahad
Your comparison of Zero to a bad C&VG was exactly what I though when reading Codetapper's description of Zero (which I may or may not have seen myself...can't remember). I do have several C&VG issues and find them to be utter shite.

@Marz
I also have several issues of Amiga Mania. The reason your memory probably fails you on them was because it was such a shitty, amateurish effort. It looks like it was aiming at the 8-year olds. An over-abundance of garish colors, big text, messy screenshots and idiotic reviews that read more like portions of a badly written manual (skimpy on opinions, heavy on descriptions of gameplay). I still have them only because they are a period piece.
Old 12 January 2002, 14:46   #16
MethodGit

Are you able to scan the issues you have, Twist? I'd like to remind myself what the covers looked like again (I can still remember the mag's logo from years ago, it was on the coverdisks ).

Also, do you still have any of the coverdisks from the issues you bought? You might even have that game I made a long description about!
Old 12 January 2002, 15:55   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

I Have a few issues of Amiga Mania and Zero knocking about with all my others, I also have all the GamesX issues, and many other mags, can't quite remember tho! I'll have to dig 'em out!

As I remember Zero was quite childish in its approach, and Amiga Mania was just crap. I just bought them cuz they were there I suppose.
Old 12 January 2002, 17:13   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Marz, even if I had the time (which I don't), it would be better spent scanning manuals or better Amiga magazines. Maybe I'll take the issues that I have to work with me Sunday night and scan the covers at least (assuming it's a slow night at work). I can't remember the coverdisks off the top of my head, but they didn't even have labels on them (charming). I think Crazy Sue II, Alianator ... stuff like that. I get that mag confused with another crap mag, Amiga Fun. Heck, even one of the issues doesn't even mention the coverdisk anywhere inside! But the others do, so I'll have that info with the scans.
Old 14 January 2002, 00:05   #19
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

zero mag

hummmm... ZERO ....I liked that mag as well but for one reason if my memory is right they always seemed to print F.A.S.T`s anti copying advert .......it was a cool cartoon strip with a dodgy game sellor called BLOGGO and a kid tempted to by a game!!!!
Anyone got a scan????