English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 September 2005, 23:34   #1
PanikSpreder

Big grin Back to the future... ehm.. 80's?

I haven't been playing with both my Amiga or C64 for almost 10 years now - went on to the PC started playing Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D... that was great, but as time went by I realized I haven't been playing much the last couple of years. I love FPS'ers but no title really got a hold on me lately (except HL2).

And I started to wonder what happend - then suddently it just stroke my mind: The Gameplay! I began wondering about the Amiga and C64 again and a couple of days ago I got a hold on 'em again.

I have to admit - this isn't just nostaligi! Its quality and everlasting fun! Haven't laughted so hard since I got both machines up and running again

And I was wondering... anybody else feels the same?

-PanikSpreder

Old 16 September 2005, 13:31   #2
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Yes, after scratching the surface of nostalgia these old games are still very enjoyable. My little brother admits this too (14 years old ) altough he plays the latest PC games too. He too can see through the caramel graphics etc. and value a game by it's other points such as playability...
Old 16 September 2005, 22:25   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I love FPS'ers but no title really got a hold on me lately (except HL2)
I enjoyed Far Cry a lot, I rate it above the average braindead FPS. Same with the Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butchers Bay. And I guess you can call GTA: San Andreas a FPS as well, which is also quite brilliant (finished it four times in a row).

But as far as gaming in general: nothing beats retro gaming, being it on the original machine or emulated. Why I could boot up Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger or any amiga game at any time and enjoy it. Most pc games I play a few times and then I throw it away.
Old 21 September 2005, 01:01   #4
Shrub

I'd like PC FPS games more if they didn't require dozens of keys to move about. The 3D Zelda and 3D Metroid games have just about perfect control system IMO, and I'd like to see FPS games have something similar.
Old 21 September 2005, 13:49   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrub
I'd like PC FPS games more if they didn't require dozens of keys to move about. The 3D Zelda and 3D Metroid games have just about perfect control system IMO, and I'd like to see FPS games have something similar.
I find using an XBox pad on my PC is good

Not all (aka very few) games support them but those that do become good fun (i'm not talking about fps here either as I don't really like em!)
Old 21 September 2005, 19:51   #6
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal
I guess you can call GTA: San Andreas a FPS as well,
That, my friend, is so far from the truth that you should be ashamed of yourself. In that case, I could call FIFA a racing game. You *race* after the ball.

Just felt like mentioning it...
Old 21 September 2005, 21:50   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

alright, alright I guess I should go stand in the corner for a few days. Still you spend at least 33% of the game hunting and shooting down people, so...

GTA:SA is a "violent shooter/beater/racer" game, alright?
Old 21 September 2005, 22:57   #8
StarEye
Zone Friend

You fail to acknowledge that an FPS isn't about hunting and shooting people, but basically it's an action game played in first person viewmode.

You don't play GTA first person view...

Just nitpicking, that's all.
Old 22 September 2005, 00:40   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well, my starry eyed friend, we should both be ashamed of ourselves. Going so brutally off-topic...

But to continue putting myself to shame: I actually WAS acknowledging that it is not an FPS You won! Stop nitpicking!
Old 22 September 2005, 05:15   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Y'know, one can blame a couple of old amiga games that i really REALLY needed to play... i floudered web-boards and abandonware sites and there it was .... CAPTIVE... i looks a little further.... UFO: Enemy Unknown.... i downloaded winuae installed and *obtained* some rom files to run it. then workbench....

all because of that god darn WinUAE emulator... i was doin fine, had been atleast 5 years since i last touched an amiga.

then i went to my lab (shed No 1 ) and pulled out some old miggy stuff )..... converted an old A500 plug pack to a 100Watt PSU.... dissasembled a poorly converted towered amiga... rebuilding it into a DVD player with DVD ROM....

all because of that darn WINUAE!!!!!!

Its not the emulator thats at fault.... its the Amiga.... i cannot resist.... its awsome.

and to carry on with the other vein... yeah FPS is awsome.. RTS is awsome.. and a few games on the PC ( FarCry / DOOM 3 / Ghost Rec. / Quake 3 ) provide well constructed, graphicially impressive gamage.... but frontier on my amiga... the wife has to remind me its bed time... then theres captive... again i am reminded me that i need to do somthing....

PC's offer cheap thrills that wane some what quickly... it could be the most eyepopping candy the world has every seen (Half-life 2) but it wont hold much for me.. (it was a slow piss poor game with a plot so over done it was cooked in 1826)

sorry for those whom liked it... i seriously prefered the orginal!!!!

Even Doom3 that i absolutely enjoy... i can only take a level or two before i am completely bored.... you see theres other things... and then theres Amiga.....

I will always have PC's thats the nature of my job, work and some hobbyist stuffs that i do... However I will always have an amiga simply because its what i want.
Old 22 September 2005, 08:46   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
Y'know, one can blame a couple of old amiga games that i really REALLY needed to play... i floudered web-boards and abandonware sites and there it was .... CAPTIVE...
DroooooooOOOOOOolllllLLLlllll...
Old 22 September 2005, 13:55   #12
PanikSpreder

Its nice to hear that I'm not the only one finding pleasure in the old games. There is just something really special about those games. Last night me and a friend startet playing Bubble Bobble and couldn't stop playing it before we beat it. Now, thats addictive :P

Old 22 September 2005, 16:55   #13
qao

While I enjoy my retro gaming lets be realists, there's plenty of crap titles to be had for every decade. Way back then you could easily play even the badly ported games and still enjoy it as if it was the real experience because you didn't know what you were missing.

Looking back now its easier see the whole selection of games and pick the best so if you can't find a worthwile game of the current gen to hold your interest you just go back to what you remember being good back then.

But to keep it fresh you have to start looking for those hidden gems and even explore different genres like I did with Fallout, a rpg thats not boring?

So I'll give you a couple of my favorites that went unnoticed by the great dumb majority:

System Shock 2 DEMO

Thief: The Dark Project DEMO

Give them a chance to suck you in and I'll almost guarantee you'll want to hunt down and buy the real thing.

Old 23 September 2005, 03:17   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@bippym ... i so did drool, as i was reaching for the pen and pad to start noting down levels, codes, and door / puzzle sequences .... ahhhh ny fix was only sated after i got to level 4 and had full supressive autos for my bots....

damn i love that game..... on the amiga i have a save (if the disk still works) of level 009 ))) I REALLY loved that game..... (theres 10 bases per level)

pitty though.... i had such high hopes for Liberation... its a shame the way it turned out... i would of prefered the graphix and a re-write of the orginal say Captive part 2

since i dont remeber ever really saving my self LOL wierd..

awsome game... and aptly named.... for indeed i was... CAPTIVE!!!!!
Old 23 September 2005, 17:37   #15
FromWithin
Music lord

I'm right at the end of System Shock 2. Brilliant game. Been playing in bursts for months. Thief is by the same developers. Also exceptional, but very long. I got bored. I'm sure I'll play it again though.

Might I recommend a trip to Wiz'n'Liz. Wiz'n'Liz was vastly underrated. The trick is to start experimenting and writing down what the combinations of fruit do. Then it becomes quite strategic, and very addictive.
Old 23 September 2005, 17:49   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by qao
So I'll give you a couple of my favorites that went unnoticed by the great dumb majority:

System Shock 2 DEMO

Thief: The Dark Project DEMO

Give them a chance to suck you in and I'll almost guarantee you'll want to hunt down and buy the real thing.

Actually Thief 2 is one of my alltime favourite games Thief (gold) is also pretty cool, but it has a little to many undead for my taste. And then there is Thief 3, equally entertaining and with some nice graphics and physics to boot. Ion Storm might have had gone the wrong way with Deus Ex 2, but at least they saved the Thief franchise. I heard/read rumours that the next Thief will not have a medieval setting though... Thief without Garret is not Thief