English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 16 October 2017, 03:23   #61
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
None intended - you're clearly aware of why this won't work. It's a great idea for the very few rooms where perspective doesn't come into play - but RE, as you know, is very cinematic with many camera angles and many scenes that play to the strengths of the 3D renderer which just cannot be done practically on an Amiga.
Well I've finished the original back then and I've already went through the complete playthrough recently just to make sure. There are only but a couple of rooms where there are too many or too large sprites to export (for example the huge plant like boss room). But even for those, there could be middle ground solutions. So, it's not an absolute no-no.

Also for the vast majority of the rooms, the 3d effect is soooo subtle, it will hardly be noticable if median size caracters are used (not too big, not too small). You would definitely notice this if compared side to side with the original but if taken alone you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (believe me). Also each room, especially big ones, don't give the player huge space to roam. Often the perspective changes after you take a few steps, which means that within those few steps the 3d effect is indeed minimal not to be noticable if missing. And corridors where the camera is too low and the characters become quite larger or smaller because of perspective usually contain zero enemies, so you could fit -theoretically- different sizes of the prerendered character without the need to use any real time sprite scaling (which could be a legit solution but for more powerful cpus).

The obvious problem that many rooms contain sub sections with different angles/perspectives can also be bypassed if you reload the required set of gfx for each section. The only real issue here from section to section (and again regarded RAM poses no problem for each individual one) would be the loading times. It will probably be like opening a door in the original game every few steps which can indeed be ultra furstrating!
But then again, with some clever optimisation you could still pack perhaps a few sub-sections together to minimise excessive loading.

Overall, while I know the issues, I wouldn't rule out the possibility. If a tech demo could be done and run as intended, perhaps (and with the right compromises) the full game could also be possible, even if this practically means occupying like... 4gb on your miggy's HD

Generally the technicalities are not the main factor here (and elsewhere). Work hours and relevance are. I'd pretty much preffer spending my time making new games instead (while from time to time some exercise with ports or demos is welcome)

Quote:
Sadly, we see this scenario all too often - a lot of excitement and pretty much zero results.
Yes but we also do see tangible results every now and then (like -hint, hint- last year's Giana Sisters S.E. remake and Time Gal port f.e.). Know what I mean?

Quote:
I'm not expecting this to turn into a port of RE to the Amiga. Quite the opposite
Neither am I. Would love to see a demo though. Perhaps this could be inspiring or useful to someone after all.

Last edited by Tsak; 16 October 2017 at 03:31.
Old 16 October 2017, 13:28   #62
thellier

Hello

I dont see the point to remake "Resident evil" as a 2D game : certainly your coding skills would be better utilized to improve FPSE speed :-)

I mean in FPSE the gpuw3d plugin (as it use the fast W3D_DrawElements() function) can draw a whole 3D mesh in a call
So certainly it isnt the (Warp3d) 3D rendering that is the bottleneck in FPSE for Amiga (especially for the simple/low 3D meshes of "Resident evil")

Of course a fast FPSE will still need a 3D card but as the Playstation had a builtin gpu it will not deshonoring...

Last edited by DH; 17 November 2017 at 13:34. Reason: Deleted direct signature
Old 16 October 2017, 17:42   #63
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Neither am I. Would love to see a demo though. Perhaps this could be inspiring or useful to someone after all.
Could you not offer a version where you enter the room and see it from only one position? Keep the character the same but just see the room once? You could also omit the door opening Animation and just offer a blank screen, with the door creaking sound instead.

Surly with these alterations and omissions an Amiga version of Resident Evil, is even more possible?

I always admire those that push the boundaries of what can and cannot be accomplished.

Myst < was way ahead of its time as was STARDUST with its 3D like asteroids and tunnels. Team 17 was and still is my favourite software house on the Amiga. They always broke many boundaries and offered excellent titles. In fact I do not think they ever released a non worthy title.

The Amiga keeps showing that it can move with the times with more and more technological upgrades being offered. Now is the time more than ever for coders/programmers to show what can still be possible with Amiga.<Even when most think, it simply cannot be done!
Old 16 October 2017, 17:57   #64
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I am surprised no one mentioned this:

[ Show youtube player ]

Unfortunately it was cancelled, but first time I saw I was really gobsmacked.

If a game boy color can do it, I'd guess a stock Amiga also could do it?

Anyway, like it has been said, it's a lot of work, not feasable for a hobbyst job.
Old 16 October 2017, 20:15   #65
nobody

I believe this style should suit best an Amiga without 3D

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 October 2017, 02:23   #66
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I have seen recently pictures of a megadrive russian homebrew that tries to recreate RE in isometric format; ok is not the most cutting edge technology but a good use of color, pictures and soundtrack can help build atmosphere even on a classic machine. AND is different enough that a change of name should help not have problems.
I tried to brainstorm a similar approach for a Dead Space demake, or even a Silent Hill one...

Resident Evil - Demo'd on the Sega MegaDrive / Genesis!
Old 17 November 2017, 13:14   #67
Ribdevil

Resident Evil works very fine in my X5000 ( even, I limit the speed ) with FPSE.
Old 17 November 2017, 13:31   #68
thellier

Yes FPSE allow to play to hundreds of coools games including 3d ones ... sadly no one seems to knows that FPSE exists

Same apply for Final Burn Alpha from HunoPPC on AmigaNG... no one seems to knows that this emulator exists

Last edited by DH; 17 November 2017 at 13:34. Reason: Deleted direct signature
Old 17 November 2017, 16:01   #69
Aladin

On amiga, same maniability there is:
No Escape (2000 Park Productions)
http://hol.abime.net/6245

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 November 2017, 12:53   #70
Miggy4eva
Amiga warrior

This is another game I would LOVE to see on the Amiga, come on guys you can do it! 040 @ 25mhz should be enough easily to match PS1 in raw power, plus Amiga chipset can always create some magic to do the impossible with the right programming
Old 19 November 2017, 14:26   #71
Dunny

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and speculate that this will not happen.
Old 19 November 2017, 15:03   #72
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggy4eva View Post
040 @ 25mhz should be enough easily to match PS1 in raw power
I would think the PS1 would blow away an 040 25mhz in terms of power. I bet the 040 isnt even in the same league.
Old 19 November 2017, 15:08   #73
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R3000

F1 Ferrari against Fiat Panda.
Old 20 November 2017, 00:03   #74
James

Mentioned this before with zero interest generated... any Amiga capable of running Quake can also run this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CodenameEnvenom.png
Views:	214
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	55493
Old 20 November 2017, 00:42   #75
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Mentioned this before with zero interest generated... any Amiga capable of running Quake can also run this:

Attachment 55493
So probably not your average stock A1200 then, as it's just a quake mod.
Old 20 November 2017, 01:42   #76
James

Quote:
So probably not your average stock A1200
Quote:
any Amiga capable of running Quake

Quote:
as it's just a quake mod.
A few major PC games started out as "just Quake mods".
Old 20 November 2017, 06:26   #77
Miggy4eva
Amiga warrior

Quote:

Attachment 55493
Cool project, I didn't see your previous mention of it but am reading through the thread. This PROVES that the Amiga can compete with the PS1 even though everyone here seems to disagree. 040 at 50mhz should be more than enough
Old 20 November 2017, 06:45   #78
nobody

Quote:
Cool project, I didn't see your previous mention of it but am reading through the thread. This PROVES that the Amiga can compete with the PS1 even though everyone here seems to disagree. 040 at 50mhz should be more than enough
As far as i know there is no 50 Mhz 68040. The CPU is incapable of going more than 40Mhz. All thread is just speculation. From what i remember back at the time, even PCs were not good enough to compete with Playstation 1. There was even a quote "upgrade your PC, switch to a Playstation".
Old 20 November 2017, 08:02   #79
britelite

Quote:
This PROVES that the Amiga can compete with the PS1 even though everyone here seems to disagree.
Then go right ahead and do a port and prove us all wrong.
Old 20 November 2017, 10:37   #80
Dunny

Quote:
A few major PC games started out as "just Quake mods".
Yes, but Quake mods are not difficult to run on a (properly equipped) Amiga. Porting a game with no source to work from, written for hardware that the Amiga cannot match in any classic incarnation is a whole order of magnitude harder than the iD engine.