English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 May 2017, 03:49   #1
th4t1guy

Differences between TOM+ and Rys MKII adapters?

For reference,
Rys MK II: https://retro.7-bit.pl/?lang=en&go=p...&name=rys_mkii
TOM+: http://electronica4u.com/docs/adapte...ruction_en.pdf

From what I can tell, the Rys is sold through AmigaKit, and the TOM+ is only sold through ebay. I haven't been able to find much talking about either one of these, but in the pictures, they look almost identical.

Does anyone have experience with both, or know what the differences/pros/cons of these adapters are?
Old 02 May 2017, 06:36   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

There may be some differences in the compatibility of controllers. Also, Tom+ can be used for C64 to use a USB mouse with GEOS (in 1351 mode) and I haven't seen that Rys can do that yet.

Also, Tom is available in a version with port switcher which I think is very useful so you can keep a regular joystick connected as well as a USB mouse.
Old 02 May 2017, 18:50   #3
puppypc

IIRC, TOM+ definitely has the most features/compatibility of any of the adapters on the market (including the Rys), but I may be wrong. Personally I prefer the Tom/Jerry plus models because it can switch between a mouse and a joystick without having to unplug anything while the computer's turned on.

What capabilities are you looking for? That might be the best way for us to help you decide.
Old 03 May 2017, 02:27   #4
th4t1guy

I'm looking to use either one or two adapters in a cd32 expanded with an sx-1 + cf card. I also have an a4000, but I doubt I'll ever have both machines setup to use at the same time.

I'm mainly looking for a way to use a usb optical mouse as the default amiga mouse. A working mouse wheel is not that important to me. I think the spare mice I have are an Intellimouse optical 1.0 and a m-uar del7. Cd32 joypad emulation would be a plus, hopefully something that works with the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2.

My main concerns are:
1. Will I have enough power for both adapters on the cd32 using the default power adapter?
2. Can you hotplug these adapters with the machine on? Any issues with frying adapters doing this?
3. It looks like these adapters will remember settings, but I assume that's only for the last device plugged in? If I want to swap between mouse and gamepad on the same adapter, will I have to redo the settings?

I've also read that these adapters support keyboards, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around how the Amiga will detect that through the gameport.
Old 03 May 2017, 18:41   #5
puppypc

I don't know how true it is, but the TOM/JERRY engineer promises that as long as the adapter itself is plugged in on power-up, you can hotplug the actual mice/joysticks to the adapter with no problem.

I also can say that if you get a TOM+/JERRY+ (the ones with two ports), then you can keep both your mouse and your joystick plugged in at the same time. Only one of the controllers is active at a time, but as soon as you press a button on the inactive controller, it becomes active.
Meaning: If you're using a USB mouse and a DB9 joypad, the swapping should be completely automatic. I should note: I have only used a 1-button joystick and don't have experience with using a newer controller with my Jerry+.
Old 06 May 2017, 19:00   #6
Shadowfire

This page here
http://retroami.com.pl/index.php?id_...duct&id_lang=1
indicates that the RysMkII can be used with the C64 and Atari ST as well.

There's really no reviews of these items. I have two RysMkII's on order from AmigaKit (I've given up on trying to get the old mouse balled Amiga mice working nice, and yearn for a modern optical mouse). When I get them, I will do a quick teardown of one of them and check them for any electrical issues (Did they use USB hot swap protection components, if needed? Did they use a TVSS on the incoming power, or is the unit going to eventually die if you hotplug it? etc) as well as functionality and compatibility.
Old 20 June 2017, 00:09   #7
Shadowfire

I purchased two Rys Mk. 2 adapters from Amigakit.com, in order to hook up a modern optical mouse to my Amiga 500/Amiga 2000.
Changing the mouse speed is performed by pushing in on a recessed button (needs a toothpick) on the adapter and rolling the mouse left or right.
The unit cannot plug directly into an A2000. It is too tall for the cutout slots in the case. I needed to use a DB9 extension cable to get the unit to connect to the A2000.
I performed my tests with a Logitech M100 mouse; according to the 7-bit.pl web site, it has been confirmed to work.
While it does work, it unfortunately suffers from mouse DE-celeration. I noticed this when I went to go play a game of Lemmings (booting off of an image from a Cortex Amiga emulator, so no OS intervention); it was incredibly frustrating to try and get precision movement to select the individual lemmings in the main display.
I turned down the mouse speed all the way to minimum, and the problem with getting the cursor in the exact spot surprisingly did NOT get less aggravating.
I rebooted to the Kickstart boot selection screen, and played around with the mouse; this is where I figured out why I was being so incredibly frustrated with the mouse control. (This mouse is a workhorse on one of my Windows XP machines, and works fine on it)
As a test, I put the cursor on the left border, picked up the mouse and put it flush with the left side of my mousepad, and slowly pushed the mouse to the right until the cursor reached the right side of the screen.
I again reset the cursor to the left side of the screen, re-positioned the mouse flush with the left side of the mousepad, and quickly moved it to where the mouse was previously for a full screen movement.
The results are, that the cursor moves to between 1/3 and 1/2 way across the screen when the mouse is moved quickly. The Rys Mk2 unit is literally applying mouse Deceleration when you move it quickly. I tried it with another Logitech M100 to be sure (I have 4 of them lying around) and they all behaved in this manner; I did a quick test on the Amiga 500 with the other Rys Mk2 adapter, and behavior seemed identical; I finally hooked the mouse back up to the Windows XP machine and disabled mouse acceleration, and repeated the same test; on the Windows XP machine, the pointer moved the same distance regardless of how quickly I moved the mouse.
Does this prevent usage of the unit? No. What it does do, however, is destroy any chance at fine pointer control. It will work as long as you aren’t doing anything that requires more precision than clicking on icons. Once you start looking at things like Dpaint and Lemmings, however, this is certainly not the solution you are looking for, at least until the firmware gets fixed.
As a side note, I did register a complaint about the mouse deceleration on the 7-bit.pl web site, and have not received a response.
Old 20 June 2017, 05:32   #8
hmn

Just a quick note about the M100s - i have two of these, a black one and a white one (used with my PCs, no Rys etc. here). The white one moves erratically when used on a matte white desk surface, I always have to put something with higher contrast under it.
Old 20 June 2017, 19:46   #9
ecidemon

I have the Tom+, Rys MKII and a Micromys V4

Micromys V4 needs a ps2 compatible mouse, or usb that is ps2 compatible with an adaptor.
There is a driver for the device and Scroll wheel works.

The Rys MKII I had some problems with. I could not get mouse working at all (not even ps2 compatible usb mouse) but after upgrading the firmware it works.
Some times though it does not respond after power up / reset so I have to remove and insert the mouse again.
What's really neat about it though is you can use it with gamepads too. I have a Retrolink Snes usb controller and it's great with the Rys. There are 3 modes of operation.
Standard "joystick" with two buttons, one more with Two button support along with one of the face buttons doubling as UP so you can Jump with a button. Third mode is cd32 for which all the buttons work. To switch mode just press start+select.
Great option instead of sourcing a good cd32 pad.

Tom+ works fine, and I really like I can keep a joystick plugged in at the same time.
Sensitivity is different and mouse feels much slower but on the plus side it works with my steelseries gaming mouse too that did not work on the Rys or Micromys.
But I have yet to explore all the features and possibilities.

Old 21 June 2017, 03:15   #10
th4t1guy

Thanks for the feedback!

I ended up ordering a pair of TOM rev2 adapters, which just arrived in the mail today. The m-uar del7 mouse works flawlessly, and was recognized on initial boot. There doesn't seem to be any acceleration issues, and I ran through a quick game of Lemmings and it worked great. The mouse wheel doesn't seem to work, but then I'm only trying it with a default ClassicWB install (where mousewheel does work in WinUAE).

However, I have not been able to get it to recognize the Cordless Rumblepad 2 which is listed as supported here: http://electronica4u.com/docs/tom_to...devices_en.txt

But I still have a few things to try, so I post back with what I can get working.

@Shadowfire
You might see if you can try the Rys adapter with a mouse that has lower DPI, or even a usb ball mouse/trackball if you have one. I've found that mouse sensitivity varies quite a bit, so it could just be it doesn't like that model as much.
Old 22 June 2017, 17:51   #11
th4t1guy

Well, it turns out the gamepad works fine, it's just one of the adapters I got doesn't work at all.
Played a quick game of Hybris through WHDLoad, and it recognized multiple buttons and both digital and analogue movement worked great! Almost felt like I was running through an emulator.

I'll have to wire together a usb cable and try re-flashing the firmware on the broken one.
Old 27 July 2017, 15:50   #12
AmigaBill

This is just the thread I was looking for! Thanks for the great info everyone. I am debating between the Tom2 and Rys II. My main reason for getting one is for the joystick feature, but I will likely use a mouse as well. Has anyone tried with either with a Playstation or Xbox controller? I have PS3, PS4, and Xbox One controllers. Has anyone tried those? The product description says it will work with "most PSX controllers" so I feel my chances are good, but I don't know exactly what that means. I also have a Buffalo SNES controller and and Atari 2600 style stick. I did read about a specific Playstation controller adapter in the latest issue of Amiga Future, but it seems to only work with a PS2 controller. I am sure I can find one of those, but figured I might as well get an adapter that will work with what I already have if such a thing exists. Thank you so much.
Old 28 July 2017, 04:20   #13
th4t1guy

@AmigaBill
Unfortunately, for the TOM adapter, the official ps3 controller does not work. I have a knockoff ps3 controller made by pdp, and that seemed to have partial recognition. Main fire was mapped to select, only the analogue stick worked, and other mappings were to weird buttons.

The Logitech wireless pads work great though, and I believe the Buffalo snes pad should work, but you may lose autofire (don't have one to test).

One thing to note about the TOM adapters:
I ordered a pair through eBay, and one was a dud. Shipping to mail it back to Poland for a replacement was $15
Other than that little snag, I'm happy with it.
Old 28 July 2017, 15:03   #14
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
@AmigaBill
Unfortunately, for the TOM adapter, the official ps3 controller does not work. I have a knockoff ps3 controller made by pdp, and that seemed to have partial recognition. Main fire was mapped to select, only the analogue stick worked, and other mappings were to weird buttons.

The Logitech wireless pads work great though, and I believe the Buffalo snes pad should work, but you may lose autofire (don't have one to test).

One thing to note about the TOM adapters:
I ordered a pair through eBay, and one was a dud. Shipping to mail it back to Poland for a replacement was $15
Other than that little snag, I'm happy with it.
That info is really helpful th4t1guy! Thanks a lot
Old 28 July 2017, 15:27   #15
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I have one here (TOM2), and a PS4 - I'll give it a bash in a bit, see what's what and get back to you

[edit] Nope, PS4 controller causes the LED to blink quickly, which means unrecognised device

Last edited by indigolemon; 28 July 2017 at 15:45.
Old 28 July 2017, 15:42   #16
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
I have one here, and a PS4 - I'll give it a bash in a bit, see what's what and get back to you

[edit] Nope, PS4 controller causes the LED to blink quickly, which means unrecognised device
Oh awesome, thanks!
Old 08 March 2018, 16:53   #17
th4t1guy

Just an update:
I recently bought these iNNext usb snes controllers to use with the TOM2 adapters on my CD32:

https://www.amazon.com/iNNEXT-Ninten.../dp/B01N7ANDLC

They work pretty good, and the colors match nicely to the CD32 controller. Only odd thing is that the red and blue buttons are swapped, all the other buttons are mapped correctly. It's pretty simple to open it up and change the plastic buttons though.
Old 02 December 2019, 15:40   #18
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
Just an update:
I recently bought these iNNext usb snes controllers to use with the TOM2 adapters on my CD32:

https://www.amazon.com/iNNEXT-Ninten.../dp/B01N7ANDLC

They work pretty good, and the colors match nicely to the CD32 controller. Only odd thing is that the red and blue buttons are swapped, all the other buttons are mapped correctly. It's pretty simple to open it up and change the plastic buttons though.

I bought the same controllers, but no chance to get it working as a CD32 controller on the A1200.
Do I need to setup anything ?
Old 02 December 2019, 16:51   #19
DanyPPC

I have th RysMk2 and snes USB pad works as CD32 controller even on a rev 2B A1200 motherboard.

Never had TOM adapter.
Old 05 December 2019, 19:43   #20
th4t1guy

@Joe_Maroni
I did not have to do anything, for me it works immediately after plugging in. However, I'm using them on a CD32. Not sure if this helps, but when I had a broken adapter the red light would blink slow and continuously.
You may also look at this thread for similar discussion on issues with a1200: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88711
You may also see if theres a newer firmware that may fix this.