English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 February 2019, 06:33   #1
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

What is your modern Commodore Amiga equivalent?

Now I'm not talking PC's running AROS or Win-UAE or PowerPC based Mac's running Amiga OS or whatever it is you do with them. I'm not even talking X5000 builds etc......

I guess what I'm asking, is, what, for you, replaces the Amiga in the modern era?

A machine with games hard coded to the hardware....
Yet a fully functional computer with it's own dedicated OS that can be used, at the very least, for word processing and graphic design, but in some cases all the way up to video editing and animation.

And lastly, a machine that gets under your skin and is adopted like a child into your family.

I guess there are two schools of thought here too.

For me and many others, it would also have to be an affordable price point, as I was an A500 owner.

But for some, the Amiga was a VERY expensive work horse in the form of a big box Amiga.

I'm not offering an answer. I'm not sure there is one.

Just interested in discussing the topic
Old 11 February 2019, 06:44   #2
chip

In the modern era i replace the Amiga with ..... nothing
Old 11 February 2019, 07:31   #3
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
lol I knew someone would say something like that
Old 11 February 2019, 07:33   #4
chip

Yes, i live in the past thanks to WinUAE
Old 11 February 2019, 07:43   #5
hth313

The way you describe the Amiga does not fit into how I saw it. For me it was a computer that allowed me to develop software, play some online games and do some productivity. Yes, the gaming ability was cool, but I never really used it much.

For me a Mac solves it today. The only problem is that Apple retire support OS support after about 5 years, but I went through 3 Amiga computers in 5 years, so I suppose they did not last any longer...
Old 11 February 2019, 08:07   #6
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Same here, I searched for many years for something more amigaish, and kind of found it with buying a Macbook Pro and Mac OS in 2009 which I still use up to this day for coding and Internet and other stuff.

(and for gaming I usually used different consoles over the years after the Amiga, like SNES, Dreamcast, Wii, Wii U, PS3 and PS4. I think you get a better bang for the buck, if you keep productive uses and gaming apart in your hardware).

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 11 February 2019 at 08:15.
Old 11 February 2019, 08:36   #7
Bruce Abbott

If I need to edit a video I use my PC, which was given to me by someone who upgraded to a later model so the price was unbeatable. I have another PC (also given to me) running Linux, which is dedicated to playing online TV programs. When I need a tool to do a job, I use whatever is around that does it best.

But when it comes to 'a machine that gets under your skin and is adopted like a child into your family' nothing replaces my Amigas! My A1200 typically runs 5-12 hours a day, and I now have a Vampired A600 which is starting to get some use too. Finally I have a stock 1MB A500, which I use for playing old games and testing software.

Second-hand Amigas are still readily available and affordable (much cheaper than when they were new) and the ones I bought are in surprising good condition for their age. To keep my Amigas going I also purchased spare motherboards and chips, but they may never get used...

I bought the A600 specifically for putting a Vampire card into (a low-end new PC might have cost the same, but I wouldn't have one because I hate Windows 10!). This machine is more powerful than the A3000 with 060 and RTG that I paid over NZ$10,000 for 'back in the day', and it's much more portable, works directly to my TV in HDMI, and so quiet! (the A3000 had a very noisy fan).

So my answer to 'what, for you, replaces the Amiga in the modern era' is - another Amiga! Hopefully the Vampire 4 standalone will soon be released, and then we can truly say that everybody can have an 'Amiga for the modern era'.

BTW this message was posted in IBrowse 2.4 on my A1200, connected to the TV via PAL composite. Don't need a 'big box' machine to use the web!
Old 11 February 2019, 09:43   #8
meynaf
son of 68k

For a coder like me nothing can properly replace the Amiga. Even emulators with code running faster, don't give the same feeling.
Old 11 February 2019, 11:24   #9
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
There is no modern alternative to Amiga. Can not be, the situation is totally different to 80s/90s.
Old 11 February 2019, 11:47   #10
Gorf

Sadly there isn't a modern machine out there that offers both (direct hardware access and high level productivity applications). That is perhaps a logical evolution ...

For the direct hardware stuff I do some stuff with atmel-boards.

For the high level stuff I use a Mac. MacOS is for me the next best thing.

That is of course not by accident: Amiga GUI (1.x) was heavily Influenced by Lisa and Mac, some things even clearly ripped off - even if we usually do not like to admit this.
2.x was influenced by NextStep as developers back than said so themselves.
The other way around is also true to some degree: the Mach kernel is based on fast message ports.... something that is now mostly hidden underneath the unix-layer but shines through in stuff like launchd.
Old 11 February 2019, 12:01   #11
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
MacOS is for me the next best thing.
Agreed. Simple, fast, and a pleasure to use. Just like AmigaOS.
Old 11 February 2019, 12:15   #12
Locutus

GNU/Linux works for me, 'limitless creativity, do everything you want'
Old 11 February 2019, 12:53   #13
R4M

Common Lisp with SLIME on Emacs (running on Linux). Common Lisp is as old as the Amiga (Lisp itself is much older) and thanks to the "code is data" paradigm allows for some advanced hacking.
Old 11 February 2019, 13:10   #14
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Agreed. Simple, fast, and a pleasure to use. Just like AmigaOS.
Even if I don't own one, can quite agree. This OS is a good mix between the FreeBSD spirit, touch & feel with some good stuffs from the 4pp1e company
Old 11 February 2019, 13:34   #15
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4M View Post
Common Lisp with SLIME on Emacs (running on Linux). Common Lisp is as old as the Amiga (Lisp itself is much older) and thanks to the "code is data" paradigm allows for some advanced hacking.

Oh yes, very much SLIME, or even just ELISP by itself.... i ehh, might have ended up writing full applications in ELISP by accident...

Touch everything in its most private parts with super fast (development wise...) and very direct mechanisms, i suppose the conceptual link with a single adress space OS in which you can screw up everything are obvious.
Old 11 February 2019, 15:18   #16
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Yeah, this. In terms of full-fledged computers, there's nothing modern that's comparably capable/flexible and simple to understand. (Show me a modern OS where you can sit down with a 100-page large-print book and come away with a full understanding of the kernel!) Even in the games market, the last time games seemed as truly tailored to the hardware (as opposed to just throwing brute force at whatever the designers wanted) was the Nintendo DS era...
Old 11 February 2019, 16:01   #17
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
There is no modern alternative to Amiga. Can not be, the situation is totally different to 80s/90s.

This.
Old 11 February 2019, 16:45   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

My RetroPie I guess, my lil' gaming buddy.
Old 11 February 2019, 17:25   #19
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
My RetroPie I guess, my lil' gaming buddy.

This + Amilator + Few other setups (RetroPie + Batocera on Laptop)

Creativity and fun hobby, just the same like back in day...

Last edited by Anubis; 11 February 2019 at 20:26.
Old 11 February 2019, 20:02   #20
eXeler0

Nothing... Times have changed.. But the jack of all trades that get a lot of my attention is my smartphone..